Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Service Engine..Again

cegarbage

When I first got my car in October, I was getting service engine errors. I took the car in on 11/28 and they reprogrammed the PCM. I had the service engine light come on again today, the first time since then. I do not have any recalls that need to be applied to my car.

I tried using a MaxiScan ODBII Scan Tool and no errors came up. Would this device be able to detect an error code?  This is a 2015 Fusion Energi with 3300 miles on it.

You will need to use your Windows laptop to run ForScan.  You first need to establish a Bluetooth connection (or WiFi if the adapter is a WiFi adapter) to the device using Windows.  I'm not sure how to pair Bluetooth devices using Windows 7.  But after that, ForScan should work without adjusting any settings.  If you have a WiFi connection, you will need to set the IP and port addresses.

I took it to the dealer. They can't find anything in their tech bulletins. I posted to car complaints web site, hopefully it will be posted soon. There has to be someone out there that has had this happen to them. If this occurs on your car please get ahold of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipuB1Zx7p8

Did you overfill the gas tank?  Fusions have had problems that if you top it off (multiple clicks with the gas pump) it will trigger the check engine light because the breather gets clogged.  It self corrects and doesn't happen if you don't try to pump every last drop into the tank.  This happened a few times with my 2013 hybrid.

You can also run a vehicle health report using Sync and have it sent to your email account and dealership to capture the code when the light triggers.

Did you overfill the gas tank?  Fusions have had problems that if you top it off (multiple clicks with the gas pump) it will trigger the check engine light because the breather gets clogged.  It self corrects and doesn't happen if you don't try to pump every last drop into the tank.  This happened a few times with my 2013 hybrid.

You can also run a vehicle health report using Sync and have it sent to your email account and dealership to capture the code when the light triggers.

If you look in the first video, he is down to about 1/4 tank of gas, so that isn't it.

It almost behaves like a relay is stuck and powercycling makes it work.  I hope the dealer gets that sorted out for you.  These cars have so many friggin parts and pieces that it's like trying to find a needle in a rats nest (of wires).

Just noticed something else.

How did you get the coach bars on the RIGHT side of the instrument cluster?  That must be new to 2015's... or maybe even 2014's.

2013s can only use that on the left.  The right screen is limited to the MFM functions and the efficiency tree.

edit: grammer nazi'ed myself. :)

Edited by Russael

I can't imagine putting my foot on the accelerator to backup without starting up with my foot on the brake. Especially since each scenario I would have rammed into a cement wall if I went forward. 

I think the green car on the dash is not ready to drive because the check engine light is on. So, "chicken and egg" scenario.

But I appreciate your comment and will stick in the memory bank the next time it appears...And I'm certain it will appear.

Edited by jeff_h

I can't imagine putting my foot on the accelerator to backup without starting up with my foot on the brake. Especially since each scenario I would have rammed into a cement wall if I went forward. 

I think the green car on the dash is not ready to drive because the check engine light is on. So, "chicken and egg" scenario.

The green car and CEL are not mutually exclusive. It looks like you aren't actually starting the car. Based on your videos this is operator error. You are not starting the car correctly and thus you're getting the CEL and no green car "ready to drive" symbol.

About a year ago one person on this forum was parked on a slope and "started" his FFE and it coasted into the garage wall.  Turns out he didn't start the car because he turned the key before pushing on the brake.  He put the car in reverse and  and it coasted into the wall.  The brakes don't respond well when the car isn't started.  That is why you should always start the car in park and look for the ready to drive light.

As Hybridbear stated it is operator error. 

My observation.  There is nothing wrong with this car.  You need to learn how to start the vehicle.  Put your foot on the brake and then turn the key while the car is in park.  It is  really that simple.

Edited by JATR4

The green car and CEL are not mutually exclusive. It looks like you aren't actually starting the car. Based on your videos this is operator error. You are not starting the car correctly and thus you're getting the CEL and no green car "ready to drive" symbol.

I wanted to say all of that, but decided that I'd let someone else chime in

It's absolutely not an issue with me not starting the car right. For kicks, I consciously started the car without my foot on the break and it started. That's the first, and last time I will ever do that, I'm normally parked in my garage and would risk driving through it if my foot weren't on the break.

There have been times when this has occurred that the gear shift has locked and I have been unable to move between gears. I don't have it on recording.

The one good point mentioned was the green light does not appear in all cases. I didn't notice that.  The only thing I can think is  it's difficult to tell if an electric ignition really starts because they start so quietly. At least in the last video, it is apparent by the camera I did start the ignition because you can see my right hand turn the ignition back off before restarting.

The next time this occurs I'm going to stick my reader in the port and see if I can get a reading. Since the error resets itself and is not being held, it does not appear I can get a reading without it.

It's absolutely not an issue with me not starting the car right. For kicks, I consciously started the car without my foot on the break and it started. That's the first, and last time I will ever do that, I'm normally parked in my garage and would risk driving through it if my foot weren't on the break.

There have been times when this has occurred that the gear shift has locked and I have been unable to move between gears. I don't have it on recording.

The one good point mentioned was the green light does not appear in all cases. I didn't notice that.  The only thing I can think is  it's difficult to tell if an electric ignition really starts because they start so quietly. At least in the last video, it is apparent by the camera I did start the ignition because you can see my right hand turn the ignition back off before restarting.

The next time this occurs I'm going to stick my reader in the port and see if I can get a reading. Since the error resets itself and is not being held, it does not appear I can get a reading without it.

You can't start the car unless your foot is on the BRAKE!!!!!  And in order to start the car it must be in park or neutral--in addition to having your foot on the BRAKE.  How can the car drive through the garage wall if the car is in park or neutral?  It can't.

I maintain that you don't know how to start/drive this vehicle.  The vehicle has not started unless the ready to drive light shows up.

You cannot start the vehicle in reverse or drive.  Everything in your videos is normal because you don't understand how to properly start the vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by JATR4