Ford Fusion Energi Forum

30A 250V outlet question

JoeMonty

Hi,

Sorry for newbie question, but we just bought a Fusion Energi. We have a 240v outlet in our garage. It has the Bryant L6-30 configuration (3 inputs spread in a circular configuration). I've attached an image of the input.

I have not looked at the charging kit in the trunk yet, my wife has the car, but I'm wondering if this plug type is supported in the charging kit? If not, can anyone recommend the best place to get an adapter or a new cable that will fit this input?

Thanks in advance!

J

Hello and welcome to the forum and your new ride.

The EVSE in the trunk is a 120v unit only.  I don't know of any plug-in hybrids that come with a 240 compatible charger.  I don't believe the Tesla comes with one either for that matter.

You would need to shop for and select a 240v EVSE that has a J1772 connector on it (which is basically all of them, except the Tesla).  You have your choice of brand/features or whatever you want.  Prices vary.

And of course Murphy beats me to it by scant moments.  :worship:

Thanks. I assume this is what I need - http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25p-nema-l6-30-2/. Make sense?

Since the outlet is 30A and this link is 20A, will it work or will there be a compatability issue? I assume there is a performance and price difference for a 30A device, yes?

Joe

Yes, that should work fine.  Think of 30a as the max.  Anything that will fit that plug type below that will work.  Yes, 30a usually cost more and charge faster.  Except the energi will not draw 30a anyway.  So unless you're worried about future proofing for charging an all electric vehicle in the future, stick with the 20a.

"With a single onboard charger plugged into a standard 110-volt outlet, Tesla says you will get 5 miles of range for every hour of charging. From zero to 300 miles would take about 52 hours at that rate. With a single charger connected to a 240-volt outlet, which Tesla recommends, the pace speeds up to 31 miles of range for each hour of charging, and a full 300-mile charge takes less than 9.5 hours."

It would take FOREVER to charge a Tesla with 120V.

Take a lunch break.  "Stop at a Tesla Supercharger station and you can top off the tank with 300 miles of range in just an hour."

I have a 240V Clipper Creek and I would probably sell my FFET if I had to go back to the 120V charger.

Edited by JATR4

It hasn't been mentioned yet but you should *not* be looking at too much larger of a charger. It won't future proof you 30AMP is the maximum,rating, not a constant draw rating.  "For continuous loads (on for more than three hours) the limit is 20% lower." which means 24A is the max charger you should buy, for that circuit.  As others have mentioned, the Fusion will not use close to that anyway so no worries there, but no point in spending the extra $ on a 30A charger to future proof yourself when it won't accomplish that.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/maxload.html

Not that I know of. There is a dual voltage EVSE available: http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord

I'm aware of that one (and considered buying one simply because it's even smaller than the included EVSE).  I was just wondering if there were any other stock chargers that were dual voltage.  I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the travel cord for the Tesla was single voltage at one point and you needed the wall EVSE to get 240.

Still, for >70k, I'm glad they made an allowance for that!  Sheesh. :)

Someone has modified a stock Tesla Mobile Connector by removing the proprietary Tesla connector and replacing it with a standard J1772 (Type 1) connector. Not a cheap investment but it works because they use the same protocol for AC charging as our cars. Saw it somewhere at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forum.php