Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How far have you been able to stretch your battery?

jstewart0131

I'm curious how far others have been able to travel on EV only?  I had to make a trip to the main post office branch to drop of some of my taxes on the 15th and I decided to see how far I could stretch the battery range.  I started with a fully charge HVB, drove on surface streets only and stopped at the grocery on the way back.  I finished with 4% left on the HVB and ran in EV only mode.  I went over to myfordmobile.com and added up the three legs of my trip and came up with 27.04 miles.  This was with no HVAC running and the sun roof open for ventilation.

On my C-Max Energi (which would be similar for in-town driving), I generally get between 23 and 28 miles of EV driving. I use 25 as my working average.

That is in 70+ degree weather, colder weather will kill the EV range. In very cold weather it was never more than 20, and even that number is assuming no heat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have only begun experimenting with what I can get away with, or not, in my 2014 Ti Energi. Have 19 miles traveled as EV so far, the battery meter shows 7 miles remaining. Half of the 19 was A/C on, the other half A/C off. I should certainly be able to get another 3-4-5 I figure, so >20 sounds like a good start.

I've done some "EV later" round trip experiments, pretty much all gas from Denver to up in the mountains, stopping at about 36 mpg, then back down again to the same point. 56 mpg round trip, and managed to collect 6 miles of EV in the HVB on the way back down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this whole EV thing and not sure if I'm reading the gauge correctly - the trip computer said 33.4mi traveled and 31.8EV.

That means you drove 1.6 miles with the ICE running & 31.8 with it off. The 31.8 miles did not all come from the electricity from the wall. When the car is in hybrid mode it counts miles where the ICE charged the HVB & thus the ICE could turn off as EV miles.

I managed to achieve 33 EV miles on a 51-mile trip yesterday. I cheated a little, though, because I put the car in EV Now for the first half of the trip that was all down hill on I-405, and then I hit traffic on the way back, resulting in better overall efficiency due to the slower speeds.

Normally, I only get 17-19 EV miles per charge.

Thanks Hybridbear 

I'm still trying to learn to read the output from the car and learn how to maximize my efficencey.  I did another test this morning and maybe someone can help me translate the readings.  My commute is 33.4 miles on the 405, AM drive is a false flat (slight down hill grade) with two large hills.

I reset the trip computer and put the car in EV mode.  Before I hit the freeway, the engine kicked on for about a mile or so and stated "normal operation".  There was some stop and go traffic and I used the "hill assist" and coasting to regen when going down hill.  When I got to work my readings were as fallows;

Trip Computer

33.4 miles total

30.5 EV

765.7 mpg

6.1 Regen

5.1 KWh

estimate 2 miles EV available

Any advice to help get the most I can is appreciated - thanks 

Thanks Hybridbear 

I'm still trying to learn to read the output from the car and learn how to maximize my efficencey.  I did another test this morning and maybe someone can help me translate the readings.  My commute is 33.4 miles on the 405, AM drive is a false flat (slight down hill grade) with two large hills.

I reset the trip computer and put the car in EV mode.  Before I hit the freeway, the engine kicked on for about a mile or so and stated "normal operation".  There was some stop and go traffic and I used the "hill assist" and coasting to regen when going down hill.  When I got to work my readings were as fallows;

Trip Computer

33.4 miles total

30.5 EV

765.7 mpg

6.1 Regen

5.1 KWh

estimate 2 miles EV available

Any advice to help get the most I can is appreciated - thanks 

Is that North to South over the Sepulveda pass? That would be about right. Except for the uphill on the pass, that is all down slope. And going south is easier because it is a steep uphill followed by a longer downhill.

I've found that going North is more of a problem. Up slope all the way, and not much down hill to recharge the HVB.

My technique is to go to EV Auto at the base of the Sepulveda pass hill, but only if I can use both the ICE and HVB - if it goes to EV uphill (at speeds above 40) I swich back to EV Later. That seems to maximize it for me. I sometimes leave it in EV Auto until the bottom of the other side, then change to EV Later and capture the excess energy. Always switcing to EV Now off freeway.

Yes, I'm going downhill on the 405 with those numbers (Newhall - Culver). I'm trying to maximize the Northern route which is more of a up hill grade and more of a challenge. Going home when in EV only I tend to get 25-26miles, trying to take advantage of the downhill for regen.

That is a tough route from south to north. There is a long uphill grade (Sepulveda), and a really long and steep grade up the Newhall pass. No way to charge up at work? The best solution I can think of is to use the HVB to assist on the uphill portions, especially the Newhall pass.

• 4 months later...

Hey all, I think what I have applies on this thread---and I think like most of you I am always trying to get the most from just electric driving--that is my goal anyway.  So,,,,I have a 2013 titanum  I bought with 7k miles on it and its at 25K now.  I have NEVER gotten even close to the 21 miles that ford claims and in reading many posts on here I hear so many others state they get well over 21 miles.  I work for Intel Corp.  and have a master in engineering and I have a good handle on technology.  So, I know all the factors that go into range like wind resistance being proportional to the square of your velocity, rolling resistance, type of driving, style of driving (quick starts, etc.) temperature, climate control usage, when you pull your car off of the charger, etc etc. 

I have even so far as to call up Ford and ask them HOW the EPA and ford derive the 21 mile number and looked into the testing procedure and I tried to duplicate it, and I still don't get 21 miles. 

I have tried EVERYTHING and at best I get about 16 miles at most.  Now, I also do  this range test on the freeway and drive so slowly (like 50-55) that most people want to drive by and kill me and let me know I am number 1.  ;-)  I do all I can do drive super smooth and keep all the climate control off. This is even in winter or summer so I can't say its the cold out impacting the range.  I am in CA so even 'cold" here is like 50-55F. 

I have it at the dealer now (for other issues too---like the remote start issue of everything being grayed out for climate control).  The SA says they are working with "engineering" on it and they can't quite fix it yet.  

anyway, I know that is a long post, but could others please comment on what you are getting for pure electric range and in what style of driving? Most posts on here only seem to talk about mixed driving on the ICE and battery.  I am just wondering if its me and my driving, or is somehow my battery not as strong as others.  

please let me know if you are getting this under 21 mile range too.  

thanks!

I managed to achieve 33 EV miles on a 51-mile trip yesterday. I cheated a little, though, because I put the car in EV Now for the first half of the trip that was all down hill on I-405, and then I hit traffic on the way back, resulting in better overall efficiency due to the slower speeds.

Normally, I only get 17-19 EV miles per charge.

Hey Blatsphemy, you are about the only person on here that has stated about the same all electric range that I get.   I put a longer post on here.  

I only get about 15-16 also at best! How fast are you driving when you get that range?

thanks!

Rick West

Hey Blatsphemy, you are about the only person on here that has stated about the same all electric range that I get.   I put a longer post on here.  

I only get about 15-16 also at best! How fast are you driving when you get that range?

thanks!

Rick West

The real question is how fast are you driving?  If you are driving 75mph, then 15-16 is pretty good.  Since the car is more efficient at lower speeds, make sure you save some battery for the slower speed portion(s) of your trip.  I take a 25 mile one-way trip several times a week and I drive 68 mph the majority of the trip.  I usually use EV LATER on the outbound leg of the trip and use the heater/AC as necessary.  Then I use EV or EV AUTO on the way back.  If I need heat/AC I switch to EV LATER so I end up at home with zero charge on the battery.

I know this is cheating.

Last Summer I made it from the highest point on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, over 12,000 feet above sea level, almost all the way to my house in Ft Collins (5,000 ft above sea level) without the ICE turning on. And that was with the EV range at 0 miles at the start of the drive. So my actual EV range for that drive was about 55 miles, entirely from regen!

Again, I know it was cheating, but I still thought it was pretty cool!  :)

Edited by njmike

I know this is cheating.

Last Summer I made it from the highest point on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, over 12,000 feet above sea level, almost all the way to my house in Ft Collins (5,000 ft above sea level) without the ICE turning on. And that was with the EV range at 0 miles at the start of the drive. So my actual EV range for that drive was about 55 miles, entirely from regen!

Again, I know it was cheating, but I still thought it was pretty cool!  :)

We did something similar while in California last winter. We drove from being way up in the mountains near Hemet, CA back down to our vacation rental in the Palm Springs area 53.3 miles with 38.4 EV miles, 6.7 regen miles, 2.2 kWh used & 91 MPGe. Most of the drive was at Cali freeway speeds. I couldn't believe how far we were able to drive on the freeway with the ICE off because of the slow descent back into the Coachella Valley.

We also had one stretch while descending out of Joshua Tree Park where we drove 12.7 miles, 11.2 EV miles, 5.2 regen miles & used 0.0 kWh out of the HVB (we actually started the trip with a completely depleted HVB in hybrid mode and ended with about 15% HVB charge) and 448 MPGe.

Edited by Hybridbear