Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Can I use Value Charge profiles to partially charge my Fusion?

Panos

Hello,

I only want to charge my Ford Fusion Energi to 75% every night in order to prolong the battery lifetime. That means I would need 4h of charge in my 120V plug, not a total 0f 6h to fully charge it. So, I manually set my charge profile to use low energy prices from 3-7am and I set the prices for the rest of the day as expensive. When I let the car charge at night, it fully charges for 6h, not 4h.

Is there a way to avoid having the smart value charge algorithm fully charge the EV battery and just follow hard set 4h (partial) charge time?

Thank you,

PK

There really is no point. Ford conducts so called 'key life' tests and members on here have shown the depreciation in capacity is about 2% per year. Remember the 0% and 100% you see isn't even close to actual.

If you're really trying to save your battery you'd probably have better luck just keeping it cool and as close to room temperature as possible.

Edited by expresspotato

The car will attempt to fully charge the battery before the next Go Time.  It will first make sure that it charges during hours with the lowest rates.  However, it necessary to fully the charge the car before the next Go time, it will charge using higher rates.  If you don't set a Go Time, it will fully charge the car within 24 hours.  You cannot program the car to automatically charge to a predetermined state of charge. 

There really is no point. Ford conducts so called 'key life' tests and members on here have shown the depreciation in capacity is about 2% per year. Remember the 0% and 100% you see isn't even close to actual.

If you're really trying to save your battery you'd probably have better luck just keeping it cool and as close to room temperature as possible.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Do you know the real percentages for 0% and 100%? I read that the Volt does 20-80% maximum for example and that the Fusion goes 5-95%. Is that true?

The capacity of the HVB is 7.6 kWh. The maximum that the car will charge the HVB to is 7.2 kWh. However, normally it charges to about 98% of 7.2 kWh or 7.06 kWh. That is 93% of capacity. The max cell voltage is approximately 4.08 V.

The car will not allow the HVB energy to fall below 1.0 kWh, or 13% of capacity.

The capacity of the HVB is 7.6 kWh. The maximum that the car will charge the HVB to is 7.2 kWh. However, normally it charges to about 98% of 7.2 kWh or 7.06 kWh. That is 93% of capacity. The max cell voltage is approximately 4.08 V.

The car will not allow the HVB energy to fall below 1.0 kWh, or 13% of capacity.

I appreciate it larryh.

Can I exploit your kindness and ask how many battery packs are in the Fusion Energi?

From researching online I found that 84 of the energy type in series, rated at a total 7.6 kWh. The article said the plug-in uses 6.5 kWh for EV range and allows a residual of 1.1 kWh for HEV operation. But from talking to my sales person he alluded to that you can replace the "hybrid battery pack" for a couple of thousand dollars without replacing the "EV battery pack" or just replace the "EV pack" at a higher price independently of the hybrid part.

I appreciate it larryh.

Can I exploit your kindness and ask how many battery packs are in the Fusion Energi?

From researching online I found that 84 of the energy type in series, rated at a total 7.6 kWh. The article said the plug-in uses 6.5 kWh for EV range and allows a residual of 1.1 kWh for HEV operation. But from talking to my sales person he alluded to that you can replace the "hybrid battery pack" for a couple of thousand dollars without replacing the "EV battery pack" or just replace the "EV pack" at a higher price independently of the hybrid part.

The salesman was confused. There is only one HVB - Ford reserves a part of that same battery for use in hybrid only mode.