Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Specific text messaging issues

openair

Hi Russael, 

Which type of phone are you connecting? I'll help with troubleshooting. 

Google Nexus 5 (by LG)

Before getting started - this did work fine up until the modules were all updated.  I just finished testing with a Blackberry 9930 and that still works.

Things I've tried:

MFT - master reset, removing and repairing device, deleting phone book, turning BT stereo on and off, set texting notifications to different tones... probably more but that isn't coming to mind.

Phone - Deleted and repaired Sync, turned message access on and off to Sync, cleared bluetooth data (cache and system), in hangouts, cleared that data, deleted conversations, restored app, (100% sure messages are coming in as SMS), rebooted phone several times after clearing stuff...

I may try with the girlfriend's Galaxy S4 tomorrow and see what that does.  I'm starting to think it's something goofy with the phone since the blackberry works, but I'm not sure exactly WHAT is wrong.  It is currently running Android 5.1.

I will probably also try pairing my phone with my girlfriend's 2012 Focus.

Note - we both have MyFord Touch with the Sony sound system.

Edited by Russael

Hi Russael, 

You've walked through some great troubleshooting steps so far. Since you have MyFord Touch, MAP will automatically be turned on within the system. Try deleting the phone and pairing it again. This time, when the phone is being connected, check the screen of the phone. If a message pops up stating that SYNC is requesting permission to connect to your messages, choose YES. If there is a box that says DON'T ASK AGAIN, make sure that box is checked as well. Once the phone is paired, turn the engine off and start the car back up. Once the engine is running again, have someone send you a test text message. Let me know if you notice any changes. 

Kim

Hi Russael, 

You've walked through some great troubleshooting steps so far. Since you have MyFord Touch, MAP will automatically be turned on within the system. Try deleting the phone and pairing it again. This time, when the phone is being connected, check the screen of the phone. If a message pops up stating that SYNC is requesting permission to connect to your messages, choose YES. If there is a box that says DON'T ASK AGAIN, make sure that box is checked as well. Once the phone is paired, turn the engine off and start the car back up. Once the engine is running again, have someone send you a test text message. Let me know if you notice any changes. 

Kim

Did that originally.  Also tried manually turning that feature off and on again and it still won't read back texts.  Sends them fine.

Going to try on the girlfriend's Focus and see if it misbehaves there.  I will also try her S4 on my car and see what it does.

Did that originally.  Also tried manually turning that feature off and on again and it still won't read back texts.  Sends them fine.

Going to try on the girlfriend's Focus and see if it misbehaves there.  I will also try her S4 on my car and see what it does.

Excellent idea! Please let us know how it goes. 

Rebecca

Hi timewellspent... please note that using this feature with the iPhone takes an additional step to set it up.

Read more about it here:  http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/phone-setup/how-to-allow-sync-to-receive-text-messages-from-your-iphone.html

I wish someone at ford would update their info about which phones are supported,  when I chose Att and SMS text, only 1 iphone shows up and thats the "Apple iPhone 4 White Firmware/OS: 6.1.3 (10B329)"

I never really used this feature just because I dont get a lot of texts, but I'll see if it works. Thanks!

Excellent idea! Please let us know how it goes. 

Rebecca

OK, it's my phone.  Doesn't work on the Focus either.

I do not receive that many SMS texts, but it used to work.  Perhaps it hasn't worked since the Android 5.1 update and I just never noticed until now.  Sprint is supposed to be releasing another update (5.1.1) in the coming days, so maybe that'll fix it.

Hey Timewellspent, 

Make sure your settings are correct on the iPhone: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/phone-setup/how-to-allow-sync-to-receive-text-messages-from-your-iphone.html Once the settings are correct, turn the engine off and back on. Have someone send you a test text message and let me know if it goes through. 

Kim

I gave it another go today and had the same results in my Fusion, but on the plus side, her phone does now work in the Acadia.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to try my phone with a like model. The listen command not working on the third text, the name not available on the second text and the wrong sender name on some texts all reproduced.

The dealer says their xperia z1 and Nexus 5 both work fine with my cararrow-10x10.png. Two phones I had reproduced the issues wth previously. I have also reproduced it again with a Samsungarrow-10x10.png S5 after both another master and hard reset.

This suggests that either the dealer is not attempting to reproduce this correctly and is an issue with most most/many Android phones (some of the techs questions, that were already answered in my email explaining how to reproduce this issue, suggest this) or I am not preforming a hard reset correctly.

There is some confusion about how to preform a hard reset or apim reset as the dealer calls it (flush the keep alive memory). The dealer says to disconnect both the negative and positive terminals of the 12v and hold the ends of the cables together. There does not seem to be enough slack in the cables to accomplish this though and it does not agree with many posts on these forum describing a hard reset that involves only disconnect the negative terminal and pulling the HVB disconnect.

Also the trips do not reset with a master or hard reset? And I had a 911 assist is off alert dated 2010/01/01? I see no where to set the date as described in the manual. And when switching from time to date display it does display the correct month and day anyway.

The 911 assist is off alert is generated by sync. Not my phone. How can sync have the correct date in one location and not the other?? Edit: was probably generated before the gps acquired a signal and set the date and time

Edited by openair

My phone, an Xperia Z3 is on the sync compatible phones list.  Maybe it's a provider thing?  Many or all (unsure of one) of the phones I've tried so far are carried by Fido/Rogers or Presidents Choice.

Just wish I or ford could nail down what is the real problem so I could decide whether or not to spend $600 on a new phone or just switch providers or what.

Edited by openair

The catalyst for the right lcd phone menu becoming stuck on a single text with the listen and ignore commands not working is receiving a text while the name not available text repeat message command is on the right lcd.

If you press left to navigate away from this text before receiving the third text it does not reproduce.

Turning phone book download off only changes unknown name to unknown phone number and all other behaviour remains the same.

I am now going to be charged for any time the dealership spends trying to resolve this issue. Because the issue was reproduced on another like model and they have been unable to reproduce it with their two phone they feel it is my phone. But they offer no explanation as to why I have been able to reproduce this on every phone I have tried. Including the two models they have been unable to reproduce it on. 5 different phones across 4 different cellular providers all behave exactly the same. All work to the same degree until they all fail to "listen" to the third text and become stuck on this text.

I can take their word for it and spend $700 on a new phone and hope it works or I can pay $90 an hour to show them how to reproduce it and where they fail at following my instructions and then the IVT team will escalate this issue.

Other than their word, they lack of anyone here being able to (or trying to?) reproduce this, another dealer saying none of their phones work correctly and my own experiences reproducing this on every phone I have tried I have nothing else to go on. These sources of information do not correlate together to draw any firm conclusion.

Being charged $90 an hour to finish the steps the IVT team wants before they will escalate this issue is quite ridiculous. I now feel, at this point, that had I not asked the dealership to try to reproduce this on their own, if I had insisted on more communication and to show them how when they didn't want my help they would not have wasted as much time repeatedly failing to reproduce this and wouldn't be now charging me for future diagnostic on this issue.

But I never asked them to try to reproduce this multiple times or for many hours hours. It takes less than 5 minutes from pairing to completion to reproduce this. I expected them to try once,maybe twice. They chose to waste so much time and are now punishing me for their choice.

Edited by openair

I am now going to be charged for any time the dealership spends trying to resolve this issue. Because the issue was reproduced on another like model and they have been unable to reproduce it with their two phone they feel it is my phone. But they offer no explanation as to why I have been able to reproduce this on every phone I have tried. Including the two models they have been unable to reproduce it on. 5 different phones across 4 different cellular providers all behave exactly the same. All work to the same degree until they all fail to "listen" to the third text and become stuck on this text.

I can take their word for it and spend $700 on a new phone and hope it works or I can pay $90 an hour to show them how to reproduce it and where they fail at following my instructions and then the IVT team will escalate this issue.

Other than their word, they lack of anyone here being able to (or trying to?) reproduce this, another dealer saying none of their phones work correctly and my own experiences reproducing this on every phone I have tried I have nothing else to go on. These sources of information do not correlate together to draw any firm conclusion.

Being charged $90 an hour to finish the steps the IVT team wants before they will escalate this issue is quite ridiculous. I now feel, at this point, that had I not asked the dealership to try to reproduce this on their own, if I had insisted on more communication and to show them how when they didn't want my help they would not have wasted as much time repeatedly failing to reproduce this and wouldn't be now charging me for future diagnostic on this issue.

But I never asked them to try to reproduce this multiple times or for many hours hours. It takes less than 5 minutes from pairing to completion to reproduce this. I expected them to try once,maybe twice. They chose to waste so much time and are now punishing me for their choice.

Why would they charge you? Is your car beyond the warranty period?

No. Less than a year old. 13000 km. They are charging me because they've already given me an answer. Doesn't matter that that answer doesn't mesh with the reality of 5 other devices behaving the same way. Or that I only want to find out if spending $700 on another android phone will solve anything or not.

I'd tell them "fine, I'll spend the 700 bucks for a new phone, but if it acts the same as the old, They will fix the problem or exchange the car for free." or you could tell them if they are refusing to service the car, and you can get that in writing, you'll be back in a few hours with your lawyer. Its under warrenty. If it says that model will work with the car and it doesnt, they have to fix it and for no charge

Edited by lonzo71

I'd tell them "fine, I'll spend the 700 bucks for a new phone, but if it acts the same as the old, They will fix the problem or exchange the car for free." or you could tell them if they are refusing to service the car, and you can get that in writing, you'll be back in a few hours with your lawyer. Its under warrenty. If it says that model will work with the car and it doesnt, they have to fix it and for no charge

My phone is an international z3 with a different model and firmware number than on their list. So I'd still be stuck buying a new phone to go this route. But while my phone is not on the list, it behaves identically to two other phones that are on the list (and every android phone i have tried) that I have borrowed to test with previously. I cannot borrow these long enough to take them to the dealer.

It will also take less than 15 minutes to accomplish what I need with their phones they say do work so that I can either have the IVT team escalate this issue or prove to myself some android phones do work. 15 minutes of ford times should be cheaper and eat less of my time than finding a lawyer and all that.

And if I am able to reproduce it with their phones I will know that I need to look for a new dealer as well.

Edited by openair

I am at the dealer now. I have reproduced the issue with the dealers phone. Identical behaviour to every android phone I have tried. It is either an issue with my car and the dealer car or sync and all android phones.

The IVT team is escalating the issue to the customer care department (or something to that affect). An "entirely different department than the customer service manager" these forums put me in contact with.

I was able to reason with the dealer. They did not end up charging me for the diagnostic time as they and my CSM had previously threatened.

6+ phones across 5 carriers and 3 vehicles all identical.

Edited by openair

The good news there is a very simple work around I feel stupid for missing. The very first unintended behaviour is when the second text listen prompt does not replace the previous texts repeat message prompt. If you ignore this behaviour and simply push repeat message instead of repeating the previous message this plays the new message. The menu doesn't work as intended but I can play every message.

If you don't understand how the system is supposed to behave, if you don't understand the intended difference between "listen" and "repeat message" it always appears to work correctly.

Can anyone, even those who feel theirs is working correctly, answer if they are pushing 'ok' on the steering for "listen" or for "repeat message" on the right lcd for each new text?

• 3 months later...

This broken behaviour continues after installing MFT 3.8.

Can add IPhone 6 to the list of phones that behave this way. Not just an android issue.

Since this occurs with an iPhone 6 it is obviously not even an issue with the way the bluetooth MAP standard is implemented in sync. It is purely an issue with the way the right lcd within the cluster handles these messages.

Edited by openair

• 3 months later...

Since I installed the new update that adds Siri Eyes Free to my 2015 FFE, text messaging has not worked. When I go into phone settings and select Messaging, I get an error message stating that Bluetooth messaging is not compatible with my phone. And yet the only thing that has changed is MyFord Touch (SYNC?) adding Siri Eyes Free. My phone is still an iPhone 6+ with iOS 9.2.

Via Siri Eyes Free I can access texts with no problem, but what I'm missing is the car automatically notifying me when a text is received (which it used to do flawlessly - but it could never respond).

Anyone else having this problem?

Since I installed the new update that adds Siri Eyes Free to my 2015 FFE, text messaging has not worked. When I go into phone settings and select Messaging, I get an error message stating that Bluetooth messaging is not compatible with my phone. And yet the only thing that has changed is MyFord Touch (SYNC?) adding Siri Eyes Free. My phone is still an iPhone 6+ with iOS 9.2.

Via Siri Eyes Free I can access texts with no problem, but what I'm missing is the car automatically notifying me when a text is received (which it used to do flawlessly - but it could never respond).

Anyone else having this problem?

Hey Blastphemy, 

In addition to kzoojason76's suggestion, please also make sure you turned notifications back on in your phone: 

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/phone-setup/how-to-allow-sync-to-receive-text-messages-from-your-iphone.html?sync=my-ford-touch

Rebecca

Thank you, everyone... that did it. I deleted my phone from the car, 'forgot' SYNC on my iPhone, then re-paired my phone, turned on "Show Notifications" in the iPhone Bluetooth settings for SYNC (using the "i" button), turned off the car, opened the driver's door 'til everything shut down, closed the door, started the car, went to the phone, selected "Messaging," and the error message "The currently connected phone does not support text messaging via Bluetooth" did not appear! I saw the Messaging screen and all the appropriate options. Woo hoo!

That having been said, I received two texts while in the car and SYNC didn't tell me about either of them, but at least I didn't get the error message I'd been seeing before. I'm sure it'll work eventually, if not consistently.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I've noticed this before.  I seem to only get the messages via Sync when I'm out of the Messages app on the phone, or when my phone is locked.

If my phone is unlocked, and I'm in the Messages app, I won't get the notification in Sync, and only get it on the phone.

Might be something you may want to try.

- Jason