Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi - No range displayed on battery icon?

expresspotato

Thanks for the picture Doug0716...

Real strange. So I programmed a key on the MyFord Mobile app and it said something along the lines for better range prediction. Will try tomorrow morning to see if its showing.

Have you programmed any "MyKeys"? Programming a MyKey can change dash displays & options.

I'm guessing that you're talking about associating a key with your MFM account. This works great if you have multiple drivers. My wife & I each have our own MFM login. We each have our key tied to our account. This allows us to see who drove in the Trip & Charge Log as well as seeing individual statistics for driving. The car will also adjust the range prediction based on who is driving. For example, in the Energi I currently get a range prediction around 30 miles, my wife only sees a range prediction of around 24-25. In the Focus Electric I'm currently seeing a range prediction >100 miles while my wife only sees a predicted range of around 85 miles on a full charge.

It should be noted that the car has the keys numbered as Key #1 & Key #2. Key #2 appears to be the dominant key. Since when my wife & I go places together I usually drive we have Key #2 set as mine in MFM and that's the key I have for each car. That way when both keys are inside the vehicle it assumes that I am driving.

So after associating the key in with My Ford mobile app still no change and the range is not displayed ontop of the 3D battery icon.

Will try a MyKey but I'm not holding my breath. Very curious if the 2016's exhibit similar behaviour.

I have a 2015 and do not use MyKey and it shows the range on top of the battery icon.

Meh I've pretty much given up... I know about how far I can go with the battery remaining and it just seamlessly switches to hybrid. I'll live.

Going back to Mariel's comment have you dropped by the dealer to ask if that is normal? Is the dealer far away, maybe do it when you get your first oil change? Or call them?

Your right in that the number is only a guess, but it is nice to see that number move around to see how efficiently you are driving -- sudden drops can clue you in that you accidentally turned on the climate control or maybe hitting the accelerator too hard. 

Well just like the 2013's -> 2014's of the FFH they took out the lifetime summary so people would stop complaining their actual MPG doesn't match the window sticker.

Maybe ford did something similar... Just takeout the misleading range staring at people in the face and hide it away. Maybe they just shouldn't have rounded it up so much and just left out like 3 mi / 5 KM and had people like ' Oh sweet its still driving in EV with 0 range ' instead of showing 50 drop to 35 in the first 2 minutes.

Either way thanks to everyone's help I'm just going to live with it... Probably as expected, some dealer appointments end with fixes and some end with more problems, so I'm not really looking for more problems if you get what I mean.

I dug through both printings of the 2015 manual and checked it against my 2013 manual...  Mine has this additional entry under "Battery Gauge":

• Electric Range (Energi Plug-in Power
Mode) - The electric range estimate is
based on the amount of battery energy
currently available in the high voltage
battery and your typical energy usage
while driving. This includes your drive
habits as well as your use of
accessories such as Climate Control.
The battery energy refers to the energy
gained from charging the battery while
plugged in.

The 2015 manuals don't have this.

However, considering there are at least 2 people here who have 2015's that posted that they do have the range estimate... I dunno.  Remove your negative battery cable for a few minutes and reconnect it? (reboot the car, in essence)

Not sure if there is a way to default reset the menus in the car...

Well just like the 2013's -> 2014's of the FFH they took out the lifetime summary so people would stop complaining their actual MPG doesn't match the window sticker.

Maybe ford did something similar... Just takeout the misleading range staring at people in the face and hide it away. Maybe they just shouldn't have rounded it up so much and just left out like 3 mi / 5 KM and had people like ' Oh sweet its still driving in EV with 0 range ' instead of showing 50 drop to 35 in the first 2 minutes.

Either way thanks to everyone's help I'm just going to live with it... Probably as expected, some dealer appointments end with fixes and some end with more problems, so I'm not really looking for more problems if you get what I mean.

Ford removed the Lifetime Summary from the 2013 C-Max between Job 2 & Job 3. Perhaps they did something similar between Job 1 & Job 2 in 2015 production. It would be interesting to compare build dates to try to figure this out.

I have a 2015 and do not use MyKey and it shows the range on top of the battery icon.

What's your build date?

So after associating the key in with My Ford mobile app still no change and the range is not displayed ontop of the 3D battery icon.

Will try a MyKey but I'm not holding my breath. Very curious if the 2016's exhibit similar behaviour.

What's your build date?

My displays were both the same prior to me configuring the MyKey, for what it's worth.

What's your build date?

My screens (2015 FFET) look just like Doug's.

What's your build date?

I like having it displayed, but I can see why they would get rid of it.  Example.  I drove to work last Thursday and when I left home battery icon said I had a range of 26 miles.  I drove 25.9 miles and only got 24.7 EV using 5.8 kWh.  I had a brake score of 98% and a driving score of 95.  I got a full charge at work and when I left it said I had a range of only 23 miles.  I drove 25.6 miles all on EV using 4.9 kWh and the battery icon said I still had 3 miles left.  Break score was 99% and driving score was worse at 92.  I must have had one heck of a tailwind.

Question:

Why is Ford taking out features left and right?

First the MPGe, lifetime summary, and now the battery miles displayed?

-=>Raja.

Because most consumers are stupid and don't understand the data. They then complain about the data. Thus Ford takes it away to stop the complaints. Since most buyers won't know that these features existed previously, the complaints about features being taken away are less than the complaints that are silenced by removing these features.

Edited by Hybridbear

Consider how many threads and questions about the battery range estimate get posted when the weather changes.  I'm sure the CMAX forum gets innundated with them like the forum here does.  I've seen plenty of threads on MyFord Mobile too about the range estimates.  Imagine how many more DON'T get posted to an open forum and are instead taken to the dealership, where the customer won't take their explanation for an answer and insist something is wrong.

Well, the data is confusing and so is MFM way of reporting. My car says one thing, MFM says another, but its close but not the same numbers. And I can understand them taking the # of miles left in the battery, but they should have replaced it with a % number. My biggest complaint would be the speed limit sign on the navagation screen either on your dash or the one on the screen...its too darn small! But is it the Nav company or is it Ford problem?

Well, the data is confusing and so is MFM way of reporting. My car says one thing, MFM says another, but its close but not the same numbers.

That's because Ford took out the mpg/mpge settting from the cars.  Mine has this and it matches MFM whether I set it to mpg or I set it to mpge.  The car worked flawlessly before they started hacking things out of the original design, and they did hack it out in other words things were not done cleanly.  

Its just dumb.  More information is better than less.  People just needed to learn to understand the information instead of complaining about it.  When I got the car I remember being overwhelmed with all the screens and trying to look at stuff while trying to drive was a little hard, especially navigating different screens, but now its natural I can switch screens by memory of how to push the buttons on the left side of the steering.

I really lucked out by buying the car before all the hacking started.  Its too bad we should all form a complaint against ford customer service to put the car back to its original form and not chop all this information out.  More is better, not less -- you don't have to look at the screens if you don't want to, but don't hack them out so its never possible to look at them.

My biggest complaint would be the speed limit sign on the navagation screen either on your dash or the one on the screen...

Before you know it they are going to take out the speed limit signs too... :doh:

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort