Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV now not available - no apparent reason...

expresspotato

Hi,

So I'm noticing yeah its warm out but nothing too hot and EV now is frequenty unavailable. I would say sure maybe the battery is too hot even though its only about 20c here in Toronto... But what doesn't make sense to me is why would the car cycle the engine on an off in stop and go traffic?

It cycled on for about a minute then off for about 20 3 times in my 1 hour home commute. SOC was 65%, car usually at a stand still. Obviously the Energy flow screen on MFT was no help saying 'Engine on due to Normal Operation'.

Does anyone know if there is a code in ForScan to read that has the real reason?

Edited by expresspotato

ForScan has many things you could check.  What is the HVB temperature?  What is the fan speed in the BECM?  Or the HVB discharge limit?  You could also check PHEV Vehicle Mode.  From the various PIDs you will have to guess what the car is doing. 

Edited by larryh

ForScan has many things you could check.  What is the HVB temperature?  What is the fan speed in the BECM?  Or the HVB discharge limit?  You could also check PHEV Vehicle Mode.  From the various PIDs you will have to guess what the car is doing. 

The ScanGuage II can read the battery temperature, I believe. I don't use mine anymore, but I've seen the posts either here or over on the C-Max forum.

The HVB heats up substantially while driving. I commonly see it go from around 73-75 F to about 85 F on a 12-13 mile trip we make fairly often.

What is your charging pattern? Do you plug in the car as soon as you get home and use a Value Charge profile to delay charging? Doing this will allow the car to cool the battery most effectively.

Edited by Hybridbear

• 1 month later...

Today I saw this:

0B7EE1AE-F509-42B0-A3C8-8F10A5203E05_zps

I ran a quick errand to Target this morning. Since it's only 0.6 miles from home I didn't bother to bring my tablet to see data about the car. On the way to Target the car was in EV Now. I remote started the car from the MFM app before leaving Target to run the AC to cool down the car. When I got back in the car & started driving I noticed that it was in EV Auto. When I tried to change it to EV Now I saw the message above. The car had been sitting overnight so the HVB should have been around 80 F, near ambient temp in the garage. It will be fully charged before the next time I drive it.

I'd presume the battery temp was at the high threshold for disabling EV Now.

If you ran A/C to the store (which heats up the battery pretty quick) and then left it parked in the sun, I can see the battery pack getting there.  It was apparently hot enough that you remote started the car to get it to cool off again before you returned to it, and if the interior of the vehicle at that point was really hot, it's possible that the battery hit the limit.

I don't run A/C much... usually roll with the windows down.  Less draw on the battery too.  I do run the heat in the winter though.  I'm not quite as insane as Raja. :)  I tried the freezing out thing the first year I had the car, and the car would star the ICE anyway since most of that winter was spent at 10F or less.  Last winter, I ran in EV auto and let the ICE run as much as it wanted, as I demanded heat. :)

Presently, I fill the car with fuel maybe 2 times a year.  I can live with that!

I'd presume the battery temp was at the high threshold for disabling EV Now.

If you ran A/C to the store (which heats up the battery pretty quick) and then left it parked in the sun, I can see the battery pack getting there. It was apparently hot enough that you remote started the car to get it to cool off again before you returned to it, and if the interior of the vehicle at that point was really hot, it's possible that the battery hit the limit.

I don't think so, the battery was 80 F maximum after sitting overnight. Outside temp was about 70 & humid when I went to the store. I also only went 0.6 mile to get to the store so the HVB wouldn't have heated up from driving. I drove with the windows open, I just ran the AC to keep the car cool while parked.

When the HVB is too hot the charge limit is reduced which forces the ICE on. My charge limit was not reduced, it was just like selecting EV Auto as my drive mode. The ICE never came on.

How long since you got gas for the car? it could be burning off of the old gas, or running the engine to lubricate it, burn off condensation etc. I don't remember the details, but know that there are a couple of "self clean" cycles programmed into the computer.

If it happens again display the power flow screen. It might give you a reason there.

Again, the ICE didn't run. We burn through our gas regularly. We go through a tank about every 2 months from road trips. Our Fuelly history shows that. It just locked me into EV Auto, with the full ~65 kW discharge limit.

Edited by Hybridbear