Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cooled Seats Option Complaint

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationAlabama
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

I'm wondering if I have a problem with my cooled seats, or if others experience similar performance.  When FIRST turning on cooled seats, I feel cool air both from the seat bottom on my butt and rear on my lower back.  After having on for several minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes later) I seem to be getting much less "cool air" overall, and eventually only feel cooling on the seat bottom.  The rear actually feels like it starts HEATING and even after recycling on/off, I can't get ANY cooling out of the rear/lower rear of seat-back....it literally feels as if the seat HEATERS are on in the rear portion of the seat.

His: 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium, Magnetic w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV, Driver Assist, Active Park Assist.  Hers: 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium, Ruby Red w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV and Driver Assist Package.  Clipper Creek LCS-25 L2 EVSE

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   lonzo71

lonzo71

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 278 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC metro
  • Current Vehicle:Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I dont have them on mine since Ford came out in 15 with it, but my wife Explorer has it and a few days ago, I thought I felt the same as you. I wasnt there long enough that day but meaning to check it out more. I'll have to keep an eye on this topic and maybe by this weekend, I'll know more with the wife's car

#3 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

There's definitely something wrong, today within 5 minutes of operation, the seat back was getting VERY HOT while the seat bottom was cool.  It definitely felt like the seat HEATER was on in the rear seat back, but the seat bottom was nice and cold.

Edited by EnergiCCAATS, 10 June 2015 - 07:53 PM.

His: 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium, Magnetic w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV, Driver Assist, Active Park Assist.  Hers: 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium, Ruby Red w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV and Driver Assist Package.  Clipper Creek LCS-25 L2 EVSE

#4 OFFLINE   Platinum15Ti

Platinum15Ti

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationWestland, MI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi, 2016 CMAX Energi

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:05 AM

Mine blows cool air from the seat back and bottom, however it doesn't blow very hard even on high compared to other cars I've driven.
Rick
2017 Fusion Energi - Tinted Glass; 5% all but windshield, 35% entire windshield, H&R Springs, Door Badging Delete, Plastidipped Grille

#5 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMontana
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

When FIRST turning on cooled seats, I feel cool air both from the seat bottom on my butt and rear on my lower back.  After having on for several minutes (maybe 10-15 minutes later) I seem to be getting much less "cool air" overall, and eventually only feel cooling on the seat bottom.

That's pretty much how it feels to me too: Initially a lot of cool air on the seat bottom, a hint of cooling in the lower back, and none for my upper back. After a while, all I feel is a very cold seat bottom and barely any (if any) cooling coming from behind. Shame that these seats weren't engineered to provide the reverse experience, because I'd much rather have my entire back cold than just my butt.

#6 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:20 PM

There's definitely something wrong, today within 5 minutes of operation, the seat back was getting VERY HOT while the seat bottom was cool.  It definitely felt like the seat HEATER was on in the rear seat back, but the seat bottom was nice and cold.

The back of your seat is supposed to get hot. The cooled seats use a thermoelectric module called a Peltier. So long as the fan is spinning its all good...

One side gets hot and the other side gets cold when electricity is applied.

https://en.wikipedia...ctric_generator

#7 OFFLINE   lonzo71

lonzo71

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 278 posts
  • LocationDC metro

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:12 AM

The back of your seat is supposed to get hot. The cooled seats use a thermoelectric module called a Peltier. So long as the fan is spinning its all good...

he said very hot and Even then, I'm not so sure. It wouldnt make sense for your seat to get hot (unless you have your seat warmer on ;) )

I finally rode in the wife's explorer and the bottom is cool/cold (depends on settings) and nowhere else did it get warm/hot.

If it gets hot/very hot, you need to get it checked. Unless its a heater or in the sun, nothing should be hot.....

Edited by lonzo71, 17 June 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

The back of your seat is supposed to get hot.

That makes absolutely no sense (not your explanation of the Peltier module, but rather that the electronics are actually set up that way in the seat at all). Ford wouldn't be so daft as to offer cooled seats that actually heat the seats.

#9 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

That makes absolutely no sense (not your explanation of the Peltier module, but rather that the electronics are actually set up that way in the seat at all). Ford wouldn't be so daft as to offer cooled seats that actually heat the seats.

The driver side gets cold, the back of the seat gets hot. Why are you so confused?

Feel free to go to your dealer.

#10 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Are we talking about the same thing? To clarify, by "seat back" I mean the portion of the seat in contact with my lower and upper back, not the part of the seat that passengers in the rear seats can see. If you're trying to say that heat is dissipated out the back of the seat so the front portion of the upper seat can be cooled, that's reasonable.

But if you're trying to say that cooled seats cool the bottom cushion and heat the upper cushion, then you're far out in left field. My dealership confirmed that cooled seats are supposed to cool the seats (both the upper and lower portions), not heat them! lol.

#11 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

NO, what I meant was the UPPER part of the seat (behind my back) is getting HOT after several minutes of operation.  Sitting in the seat, it literally feels like the seat HEATER is on in the upper part of the seat while the BOTTOM of the seat (under my butt) is cold.  I'm guessing a dealer visit will be in order. 

#12 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

NO, what I meant was the UPPER part of the seat (behind my back) is getting HOT after several minutes of operation.  Sitting in the seat, it literally feels like the seat HEATER is on in the upper part of the seat while the BOTTOM of the seat (under my butt) is cold.  I'm guessing a dealer visit will be in order. 

Let us know what your dealer finds, EnergiCCAATS. That's definitely not how the cooled seat function is supposed to work. Perhaps whatever portion of the mechanism that's supposed to vent the heat out of the seat is misdirecting it towards your back, or maybe some internal insulation is out of place? Looking forward to your eventual update. My own seatback doesn't get hot when I turn on the cooling function, but it also doesn't get very cold (if at all).

#13 OFFLINE   isaaktnt

isaaktnt

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:IS350 F-Sport and 2014 Chevy Volt

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Ok this is very weird because I have used this feature practically everyday for the last month and thought it actually worked great until stumbling on this thread.  Mine is as Blastphemy described, very cool at the bottom and neutral at the lower back and upper... until of course yesterday.  I tried setting the memory seat for the first time using button 3 and pressing lock button on my remote after the second chime... didn't work of course, so I hopped into my car and drove off blasting the AC and using the seat cool feature.  About 5 minutes later I notice the lower back portion got uncomfortably hot.  Pull over and indeed the lower back portion is hot! the seat is cool.. the upper back is normal.  Touch the passenger seat and the whole seat is normal temp.  Turned on the seat cooler for that and the same thing... WTF  I am not sure its related but that was the only thing I did yesterday.  I'll try to reset the whole seat memory and key feature to see if that works.

Edited by isaaktnt, 05 August 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   isaaktnt

isaaktnt

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:IS350 F-Sport and 2014 Chevy Volt

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

I am unable to reproduce this when the seat is not hot, which leads me to believe the fans blows the AC air from bottom up and pushes the heat up to the back.  I can reproduce it when the seat been sitting in the sun all day.. and its still hot even after running it for 15 min.  This is rather disappointing.  But at least I know that the heating is not mistakenly activated.  I will take a longer drive to see if it will eventually cool down the whole seat if given enough time.

#15 OFFLINE   lonzo71

lonzo71

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 278 posts
  • LocationDC metro

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

I'm sure you checked but check under the seat. Maybe there is something under it that is causing it. I was reading the manual yesterday and I remember it saying dont put anything under the seat . If not, I would take the car in. ..

#16 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:34 AM

An update.  I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he stated that other Fusion owners (non-Energi) have voiced a similar complaint, and they were waiting on Ford engineers to look into it.  I told him that I wondered if the fan motor in the rear part of the seat could be what's generating the excessive heat that FEELS like the seat heater is on your mid-lower back after about 15+ mins of operation and he said that was an interesting observation.  Haven't heard anything back from them, but don't wanna take it in until Ford engineers have come up with an idea of what's causing this.  Others observations above do hold water though that when it is a HOT day, and car has been sitting in the sun is when it's worse....HOWEVER the seat behind my mid-lower back gets MUCH hotter after 10-15 mins of ventilated operation than it was when first getting in the car AND you can feel a hot point when touching the middle of the back of the seat (near the fan).  In my opinion this is either a fault or design flaw, because the seat bottom under my butt gets ice cold after 10-15 mins of operation and it has a fan as well.

#17 OFFLINE   Hybridbear

Hybridbear

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

In my opinion this is either a fault or design flaw, because the seat bottom under my butt gets ice cold after 10-15 mins of operation and it has a fan as well.

You're probably right. Do other Ford models with cooled seats have this same issue? Or just the Fusion?

Current vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic (The Snow Queen on MFM)

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm (Elektra on MFM)

315692.png

Previous vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#18 OFFLINE   CapnBry

CapnBry

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:4runner
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

I was riding home today in 90+ degree Tampa heat and I said "I swear my back is getting HOT". To take subjectivity out of it I ran a test. The whistlepig (my Fusion) was fully charged and in a 31.5C ambient garage for 3 hours. I turned on the car and seat coolers and made sure the A/C vents were pointed away from the seats (although I probably should have turned it off), closed the doors, and let it run for 15 minutes with nobody in the seat.

The seat back does get warm from the cooler but not as hot as I thought it felt:

WR24eDH.jpg

WxxlTEC.jpg

DaUakJ7.jpg

It does get pretty hot in the back, I saw temps over 45C at one point so maybe there's a chance that while sitting in the seat it can push against the thermoelectric module somehow?

kq4mm31.jpg

I tried sitting in it for a couple minutes after the test and didn't feel any noticeable heat in my back. The FLIR also showed a pretty even heat distribution when I got up.

• Rexracer likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Wow - luckily I don't seem to have that problem! All that happens in my 2015 is that the bottom seat gets frigid while the rear seat back barely gets cold at all. I haven't noticed a "hot" spot; just a lack of cooling overall behind my back. Guess I'll bring this to my dealership's attention when I do my first service and see what the technicians say about it...

#20 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 254 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

I am unable to reproduce this when the seat is not hot, which leads me to believe the fans blows the AC air from bottom up and pushes the heat up to the back.  I can reproduce it when the seat been sitting in the sun all day.. and its still hot even after running it for 15 min.  This is rather disappointing.  But at least I know that the heating is not mistakenly activated.  I will take a longer drive to see if it will eventually cool down the whole seat if given enough time.

An update.  I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he stated that other Fusion owners (non-Energi) have voiced a similar complaint, and they were waiting on Ford engineers to look into it.  I told him that I wondered if the fan motor in the rear part of the seat could be what's generating the excessive heat that FEELS like the seat heater is on your mid-lower back after about 15+ mins of operation and he said that was an interesting observation.  Haven't heard anything back from them, but don't wanna take it in until Ford engineers have come up with an idea of what's causing this.  Others observations above do hold water though that when it is a HOT day, and car has been sitting in the sun is when it's worse....HOWEVER the seat behind my mid-lower back gets MUCH hotter after 10-15 mins of ventilated operation than it was when first getting in the car AND you can feel a hot point when touching the middle of the back of the seat (near the fan).  In my opinion this is either a fault or design flaw, because the seat bottom under my butt gets ice cold after 10-15 mins of operation and it has a fan as well.

I was riding home today in 90+ degree Tampa heat and I said "I swear my back is getting HOT". To take subjectivity out of it I ran a test. The whistlepig (my Fusion) was fully charged and in a 31.5C ambient garage for 3 hours. I turned on the car and seat coolers and made sure the A/C vents were pointed away from the seats (although I probably should have turned it off), closed the doors, and let it run for 15 minutes with nobody in the seat.

The seat back does get warm from the cooler but not as hot as I thought it felt:...

I tried sitting in it for a couple minutes after the test and didn't feel any noticeable heat in my back. The FLIR also showed a pretty even heat distribution when I got up.

Wow - luckily I don't seem to have that problem! All that happens in my 2015 is that the bottom seat gets frigid while the rear seat back barely gets cold at all. I haven't noticed a "hot" spot; just a lack of cooling overall behind my back. Guess I'll bring this to my dealership's attention when I do my first service and see what the technicians say about it...

Hi guys,

I want to check out some options. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·