Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Engine on because of batt temp

Extremelysticky

HI, new 2016 Fusion Energi owner here. I live in California and it has been in the upper 80's low 90's  lately and I'v noticed that the energy flow screen is showing that the engine is running due to batt temperature. Is this something normal? What can I do to help keep the temperature lower on the battery?

thanks,

ES

HI, new 2016 Fusion Energi owner here. I live in California and it has been in the upper 80's low 90's  lately and I'v noticed that the energy flow screen is showing that the engine is running due to batt temperature. Is this something normal? What can I do to help keep the temperature lower on the battery?

thanks,

ES

This is normal. I don't recall the exact battery temp, but above a certain temp and the car will limit the charging and discharging rate of the HVB to prevent damage. You can try to park in the shade during the day as a way to keep the HVB cooler. Also, plug in whenever possible but use a Value Charge profile to delay charging until the middle of the night. Whenever you plug in, the car can use wall electricity to cool the HVB. If you don't plug in, the car cannot cool the HVB. Also, when driving use the air conditioning. The car cools the HVB with air from the cabin. Keeping the AC off results is warmer air in the cabin which means the car can't cool the HVB as effectively.

Thanks for the reply. I've actually been trying to use less cooling internally so I'm not pulling so much of a draw on the battery. I guess rolling a window down might help as well. I'll start adjusting, thanks.

ES

If you are on a trip that will eventually drain the HVB and you will eventually be in hybrid mode, you should consider running the AC when in EV later mode.  That will maintain the battery level.  I usually switch to EV later and then turn the AC on.  If I want to use EV or EV auto I turn the AC off for a while.