Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What tires did you get?

tsarty17

So 2015 titanium 15k miles tires are gone

I commute 100 miles to work and live down a dirt road so they are getting used but 15k is pretty sad. I've had mud tires last longer. Took the car to tr quick lane to get them warranted with no luck (as always). My local dealer is a complete joke. I'm already in the process of suing them for blowing up my 2008 6.4 diesel a week after I spent 10k to have them rebuild it. But that's another story. I was furious that I bought the car from them and they wouldn't help me with the tires even though THEY rotated them every oil change and I even took it in for an alignment to make sure but it was in spec. So I took it to Sears and was in and out in 10 minutes 75% off a new set. Waiting for them to come in. I ordered the pilot sport a/s 3. Anyone used them?

Anyway besides hating the dealer I love the car. Spend lots of time in it and is a very enjoyable drive.

How did you chew through a set of tires in 15k?  Only people I know who do that have super soft high performance tires and then they do burnouts with them.  :)

I know my mom's continential tires on her 2008 Fusion went the way of the dodo at 30k, but that was really bad too.

Do you do mostly surface street travel or are you turning corners a lot?

Virtually all of my travel has been surface streets.  I've had it on the highway for maybe.. 5% of the miles on it?  Tires still look fine, but I only have like 8400 miles on mine.

Yeah that's why I was very disappointed with them because people normally get a lot. I know my driving habits are different but still. Yes I am happy. Back to the original question, what have you guys replaced yours with. Any of you use the pilot sports. Also how are your cars holding up?

I change the oil and rotate the tires every 7500.

Yeah that's why I was very disappointed with them because people normally get a lot. I know my driving habits are different but still. Yes I am happy. Back to the original question, what have you guys replaced yours with. Any of you use the pilot sports. Also how are your cars holding up?

Still on my original set of tires, will probably only look at what Michelin has in low energy at the time, but I had Pilot Sport A/S on my Acura TL... wonderful tire. 

I still have originals on the car and will likely replace them with the same.  Car lives on surface streets.

My Expedition has had Firestone (replaced under recall at around 24k), Good Year (replaced at 100k), and it is currently riding on Michelin MS/2's (currently at 111k)... and I will stay with Michelin forever.  Those tires are unbelievable vs the other two brands in terms of road noise, comfort, and traction.  I might consider the GreenX tires for it though.  Truck lives on the highway for road trips.

Mother replaced her Fusion Continentals with Michelin GreenX tires.  She has about 46k on her car presently.  Car lives on surface streets.

Edited by Russael

Rexracer. I agree. I wasn't saying ford was terrible just that dealer. Although the 6.4 powerstroke 08-10 is probably the worst Diesel engine made. I'm a little upset ford would not back the motor at all. Kind of like the 6.0 they hid behind closed doors. But I'm very happy with my energi. And it was not all the tires fault, I drive a super windy road (ca 299) and about a mile dirt road everyday. But like I said mud tires lasted longer than 15k. I go in tue for the new set. I'll report back how I like them. The energy savers were horrible in wet so I'm curious to see how the pilots do.

I got 47k out of the stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S tires. So far so good, they have much better traction and handling in wet conditions and hopefully they're better in the snow. Haven't seen an impact on milage yet.

Thanks BadRock... just looked at that tire and it will be a strong consideration when I start looking at tires. The small trade off in rolling resistance for better breaking and water handling would be well worth it.  

I got the pilot sport a/s 3s installed. Wow is all I can say. I only have 100 miles on them but everything is better. First off the road noise is much less. Second you feel way more in control as there is much more response. The sidewall is thicker and the rubber goes out from the rim more. Much more stability than the energy saver. I took it out the windy road and traction and stability was insane over the energy saver. Then on the dirt road where I would normally have to get a running start or it would spin drove right up without losing traction once. It also drove nice on gravel. Had I known the energy savers were this bad and made the car handle and drive so much worse than it could I would have tossed them before I drove it off the lot. I'm not a race car driver but the stability of them was rubbish. Wet traction was also terrible. I could take corners faster in my 10k pound 1 ton with mud tires. I'm really curious how these will handle in the wet. I will report back. I would recommend them to anyone that gets new tires. They do not come with as good of warrantee, only 45k instead of 65k but much better tire.

I got the pilot sport a/s 3s installed. Wow is all I can say. I only have 100 miles on them but everything is better. First off the road noise is much less. Second you feel way more in control as there is much more response. The sidewall is thicker and the rubber goes out from the rim more. Much more stability than the energy saver. I took it out the windy road and traction and stability was insane over the energy saver. Then on the dirt road where I would normally have to get a running start or it would spin drove right up without losing traction once. It also drove nice on gravel. Had I known the energy savers were this bad and made the car handle and drive so much worse than it could I would have tossed them before I drove it off the lot. I'm not a race car driver but the stability of them was rubbish. Wet traction was also terrible. I could take corners faster in my 10k pound 1 ton with mud tires. I'm really curious how these will handle in the wet. I will report back. I would recommend them to anyone that gets new tires. They do not come with as good of warrantee, only 45k instead of 65k but much better tire.

Let us know how they wear in the long run!

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you are running a vast majority of the time on ICE, the oil change is too often.

Your car keeps track of ICE usage and will tell you (oil life) when you need to change it. It's side benefit of using your EV... You can see your oil life on the left read out OR in a vehicle report.

Nitrogen is a waste of money...  unless you are in NASCAR. Consumer Reports and other will tell you that. If you think about it, the atmophere is above 70% Nitrogen already, so you are not getting much more.

I run my car at 38 PSI and have pressure caps so I know they are at that pressure.

31k miles and still on the originals (minus one that took a nail and covered under road hazard).

Might try calling Ford customer service or chatting up a Ford service rep on these boards.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...