Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How long should it take to get a replacement charger?

Locutus

Well its been almost a year since I purchased my 2014 Ford Fusion Energi.  I have been very happy with the vehicle until now.  Last week my charger became unusable and started to immediately blow the circuit breaker wherever I try to use it.  I took it to my dealer to get a replacement.  I was told a replacement wouldn't be available before June 30th.  Really?  How can it take so long to get a replacement part for an item that is critical to the functioning of the vehicle?

Frank

Well its been almost a year since I purchased my 2014 Ford Fusion Energi.  I have been very happy with the vehicle until now.  Last week my charger became unusable and started to immediately blow the circuit breaker wherever I try to use it.  I took it to my dealer to get a replacement.  I was told a replacement wouldn't be available before June 30th.  Really?  How can it take so long to get a replacement part for an item that is critical to the functioning of the vehicle?

Frank

Contact user FordService for help. You can try asking the dealer to take a charger out of a car on the lot for you.

Contact user FordService for help. You can try asking the dealer to take a charger out of a car on the lot for you.

Well, I actually tried both.  I am still waiting for a call back from customer relations.  My dealer wasn't very interested in letting me use a charger from a car on the lot.  He did say I could change at their dealership.  I appreciate the offer but its not really practical.

One minor counterargument - it isn't critical to the operation of a PHEV.  It is, however, critical for a dedicated BEV, such as the Focus Electric.

It would be smart of each EV certified dealership to stock 1 replacement EVSE in case of issues like these.  If they run out, they could easily get one from an adjacent dealership.

I agree.  The car will operate without a charge.  However, I never have put gas in this car.  I purchased it expecting to commute on battery power alone otherwise I would have just gotten a hybrid.  By the time this 3-4 week period is over, I will have consumed more gas than I have the entire year.  That's pretty critical to me.  I understand it may not be critical to Ford.  But that's why I started this thread.

My charger went out after just 6 months of use.  It was still covered under warranty, but I went in on June 11th and they had me a new charger on June 12th, so you might want to try another dealer.  Here I go again -- by "charger" I'm talking the 120v supplied EVSE.

Edited by Timewellspent

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I did.  In fact, I even contacted the regional director for this area.  She said the problem is with the company that supplies the product to Ford.  I understand that is possible.  What I don't understand is how inventories can get so low in the first place.  I am located in Alexandria VA just outside of Washington DC.

Yes I did.  In fact, I even contacted the regional director for this area.  She said the problem is with the company that supplies the product to Ford.  I understand that is possible.  What I don't understand is how inventories can get so low in the first place.  I am located in Alexandria VA just outside of Washington DC.

Have you tried convincing the dealer to give you one out of a car on the lot? Do they have many Energis sitting around on the lot? What dealer? A number of forum members are in that region and perhaps a different dealer would be willing to give you a charger from a car on the lot. Have you tried contacting different dealers in the area to see if anyone else is more helpful?

Edited by Hybridbear

Too bad you didn't say that a month ago.... my wife and I both have L1 chargers that ride around in our trunks every day and don't get used as we have the L2 charger in the garage that supports both cars.  I go up 95 to Springfield and then over 495 past Tysons every day, will send you a PM and you can borrow one of mine and give it back once yours does come in.

Well, I actually tried both.  I am still waiting for a call back from customer relations.  My dealer wasn't very interested in letting me use a charger from a car on the lot.  He did say I could change at their dealership.  I appreciate the offer but its not really practical.

Sometimes you need to use the phrase, "I need you to..." rather than "Can you?"

Go in there, and tell them, "I need you to pull a charging cord from one of the cars on the lot and backfill it with yours when it comes in.  You'd be surprised at how well it works when you tell someone to do something rather than ask.

Have you tried calling other Ford dealers in NoVa? If a simple warranty swap any should be able to help.

Not sure that Jerry's sells many Energi's, when I was looking they had a limited stock that didn't ever seem to change. Ourisman on the other hand seems to sell quite a few Energi's so their service department may have a charger in stock.

Edited by storksb