Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Useful CSM interactions?

openair

Can anyone give examples of meaningful or useful interactions with CSM they have been put into contact with from these forums?

So far my speaking with two different CSMs has been a complete waste of time or even counter productive.

Please include whether you live in the USA or Canada.

Edited by openair

Two cases:

1) Back in 2013 they announced the recall 13S04 (fuel delivery module) for which my 2013 hybrid was affected.  I saw the announcement letter posted on the hybrid forum, and sent a request for a service appt to my local dealer that said "I know that parts are not available yet, but want to bring my car in to be checked and to open a repair order (RO) to get the item on order for my VIN.

There are 6-7 service advisors at my local dealer, I've dealt with all of them at least once over the years, most are competent but one is a nice guy but sorry he is just a bumpkin.

He calls in response to my appointment request and says "I see you wanted to bring you car in, but we don't have the parts in stock yet"... well duhhhh, exactly like I wrote, bumpkin.  So I asked him to check with his service manager and he said OK come on in and we will get the part ordered, which did occur.

Fast forward about 3-4 months (IIRC) and my part was still not in I thought they were in limited supply, but then around Sept 2013 I remember seeing/posting the letter to dealers that "sufficient quantities are now in stock, repair at will" or words to that effect.

I call back to the bumpkin and ask if he could check if the part was still on order, he said yup still on order, don't know when it will come in.

So that's when I contacted the FordService user on the forum and asked her to open a case for them to check the see where the part was, as the letter to dealers went out that there is now adequate supply available.  She wrote back that she would have the regional CSM (from VA/MD/DC area) call me.

The regional CSM called me a couple days later and said that she checked my VIN for open RO and also talked with the Service Manager at my local dealer, and they were doing all they can and that for some reason they can't get the part in for my car (thank God it still wasn't showing symptoms) -- and that she would check again in a couple weeks and get back to me.

I don't think I ever heard back that couple weeks later, and sold the car 2 years ago and just had a friend on the hybrid forum check that VIN in OASIS last week, work still has not been completed for that recall - I guess the new owner was not that worried about it, or doesn't even know about it, not sure.

But to sum it up, no the CSM didn't seem to me any help in the first case above.

2) When they had the "goodwill payment" thing after lowering the MPG numbers on the 2013 models, I got the payments for the 2 Energis promptly, but didn't get anything for the 2013 hybrid (noted above) that had since been sold.

I contacted the FordService user on the forum, and she got the case opened and I was called by another lady who said she was managing the cases that had loose ends such as original owner no longer had the vehicle (like me), and took my VIN and purchase date and dealer and my address/phone, and said she would add it to the existing cases and keep in touch with the other section at Ford that was verifying the details.  A few weeks later I got word from her that the request had been approved and that I should be seeing a check soon, and a few days later a Fedex delivery showed up at the door and all was good.

So I'm batting 1 for 2.

I once tried using the online help to get the CSM involved. The CSM for our region is very incompetent and seems completely disinterested in helping owners. Others in MN who have also talked to him have had similar negative experiences. He added nothing of value to the process and just wasted my time. I have not sent anything to FordService about service appointments since because I do not want to deal with this incompetent CSM again.

50/50 so far.  Interesting.  It would be nice if we could get more examples of issue CSMs will help with so we can stop wasting our time with them and issue they wont.

Does anyone know if I take my vehicle to a new dealer, without informing my CSM, if this new dealer will somehow (VIN or Ford account) be able to contact my CSM?  My last dealings with my CSM, they parroted the dealers threat of charging me for future diagnostic related to my phone issues while my vehicle is still under warranty.  The CSM went as far as to threaten that if I took the vehicle to a new dealership they would also charge me for this diagnostic time.  I ended up being able to reason with the dealership but this would make the second time my CSM as carried over misunderstanding and bias against me to a new dealership when I attempt to get a clean second opinion. 

IMO, the entire point of a second opinion is to get fresh eyes on the problem that are not biased by prior dealings in either direction.  This is common practice in many industries.  But when my CSM tells the new dealer I am only there for a second opinion and their job is to help build confidence with the prior dealer or that they are to charge me for diagnostic time it defeats the purpose of getting a second opinion.

Edited by openair

Hey everyone, 

If you've had an unsatisfactory experience, please don't hesitate to reach out to either myself (if you're locate in Canada), or my co-workers at FordService (if located in the United States). We'll be happy to take a closer look into your situation and see how we can help.

50/50 so far.  Interesting.  It would be nice if we could get more examples of issue CSMs will help with so we can stop wasting our time with them and issue they wont.

Does anyone know if I take my vehicle to a new dealer, without informing my CSM, if this new dealer will somehow (VIN or Ford account) be able to contact my CSM?  My last dealings with my CSM, they parroted the dealers threat of charging me for future diagnostic related to my phone issues while my vehicle is still under warranty.  The CSM went as far as to threaten that if I took the vehicle to a new dealership they would also charge me for this diagnostic time.  I ended up being able to reason with the dealership but this would make the second time my CSM as carried over misunderstanding and bias against me to a new dealership when I attempt to get a clean second opinion. 

IMO, the entire point of a second opinion is to get fresh eyes on the problem that are not biased by prior dealings in either direction.  This is common practice in many industries.  But when my CSM tells the new dealer I am only there for a second opinion and their job is to help build confidence with the prior dealer or that they are to charge me for diagnostic time it defeats the purpose of getting a second opinion.

Hey openair,

Diagnosis fees are standard across the majority of our dealers, and will not apply when the repair is covered under warranty. All dealerships have an assigned CSM contact, but generally only involve them when needed. If you would like to have the CSM close your case and you work solely with your dealership, please let me know, and I'll gladly email your CSM to let them know.

Nick

Hey openair,

Diagnosis fees are standard across the majority of our dealers, and will not apply when the repair is covered under warranty.

Please clarify, diagnostic fees are standard for a vehicle still under the bumper to bumper warranty?? Paying for time to decide if an issue is warrantied or not on a vehicle that is still under the bumper to bumper warranty is standard?

Paying a diagnostic fee for a vehicle that is still under bumper to bumper warranty to decide if an issue is even fixable with new hardware or is a software issue that applies to all android phones and MFT equipped vehicles and, at this point, cannot be fixed by a dealership is standard?

Edited by openair

Please clarify, diagnostic fees are standard for a vehicle still under the bumper to bumper warranty?? Paying for time to decide if an issue is warrantied or not on a vehicle that is still under the bumper to bumper warranty is standard?

Paying a diagnostic fee for a vehicle that is still under bumper to bumper warranty to decide if an issue is even fixable with new hardware or is a software issue that applies to all android phones and MFT equipped vehicles and, at this point, cannot be fixed by a dealership is standard?

Hey openair,

To clarify, diagnosis fees will not apply when a repair is found to be covered under warranty. If after diagnosing, it is found that the repair is not covered, you may be responsible for the diagnosis fee. Your CSM would be best to speak with about this for your specific situation. Are you still working with them on this?

Nick

I already spoke to my CSM about this as described earlier in this thread. They parroted the dealers threat and were not interested in my side of the story. They also threatened to carry over this threat of a fee to any other dealerships I tried for a second opinion. Defeating the purpose of a second opinion and pigeonholing me to the current dealership. I was able to reason with the dealership, point out to them where our misunderstanding lay and they did not end up charging me for service. If a CSM isn't even interested in my side of the story or playing intermediary to resolve conflicts like this, than who does?

I have been speaking further with a different CSM who called me shortly after I created this thread. A CSM who can call me outside of my work hours and not force me to waste my entire 15 minute break at my hot sweaty job to attempt to get a hold of her. Wasting my entire fifteen minute break to get her answering machine means I don't get to cool down and only adds to my stress level when I should be relaxing. It is affecting my job and my health. I cannot do it anymore.

Edited by openair

My latest convo with my new CSM he suggested I call the dealer where I bought the vehicle for advice to give locale dealers. They said there is nothing they can do over the phone. Could tell he was resisting the urge to laugh at me.

I think corporate ford needs to realize dealers here in Canada do not offer the same level of service as dealers in the states.

Though I've had no issues with this car or a reason to go in for service, I'm happy with the service my dealer provides. I was unable to get a ride to pick up the car when new until later in the week, so my salesman delivered the car to my home 25 miles away and I signed all of the paperwork at my kitchen table. My last car, a 2014 Fusion EcoBoost went in for a recall and they picked it up from my home and left me with a loaner. There are 26 Ford dealerships within 25 miles of me, one less than 2 miles away and I've worked with them in the past and no one has treated me as good as a customer as Varsity Ford. I'll be a customer for life.

Edited by Platinum15Ti

I think it depends on the city and/or area that you live in.  For me, I live in a small town and I'm fortunate to have an Energi certified dealer in town.  But there is only 1 Ford dealer here.  The next closest Energi certified dealer is 1 hour away.  The next is 2 hours away.  Since owning my Energi from June 2013 I have gone through 3 service technicians.  These are the guys that greet me when I take my car in, take notes on any concerns I have, and then call me when my car is ready.  It's like I'm going through a new service guy every year.  The people skills of these employees could use refining and I'm tempted to try the dealer that is an hour away.  I think without competition my local dealer doesn't seem to want to go that extra mile to really care for the customer.

I contacted my CSM back in 2013 and he did assist in resolving an issue that my local dealer kept telling me that the dealer I purchased my car from had to resolve.  I emailed this CSM later in 2013 but did not receive a reply.  So I don't know if he is still employed in the same capacity or not.  I haven't pursued him after that.

My purchase experience, however, was extraordinary.  I was very impressed with my salesman and I would gladly have that dealer service my car if I did not live 6 hours from them.  Extraordinary customer service trumps everything else, to me, and my local dealer is far from extraordinary, but not bad enough to warrant complaining.  I have come very close to complaining but have decided that the area that I live in does not have extraordinary anything!  Everything is just ordinary.  Ya know?

Though I've had no issues with this car or a reason to go in for service, I'm happy with the service my dealer provides. I was unable to get a ride to pick up the car when new until later in the week, so my salesman delivered the car to my home 25 miles away and I signed all of the paperwork at my kitchen table. My last car, a 2014 Fusion EcoBoost went in for a recall and they picked it up from my home and left me with a loaner. There are 26 Ford dealerships within 25 miles of me, one less than 2 miles away and I've worked with them in the past and no one has treated me as good as a customer as Varsity Ford. I'll be a customer for life.

Does Varsity give you a loaner from their own stock?

Pat Milliken, where I've gotten my only 2 new vehicles, sends you to Enterprise Rent-a-car and you get the rental from them for service stuff.  If you don't need a rental, they do have a shuttle that can at least drop you off.  Haven't tried seeing if they'll pick up people.

My CSM interactions have gone well.  Of course, I've had some really odd issues with my car, none of which have been EV/Hybrid component related, and none of which have impaired drivability, I should note.  First interaction got me a bunch of free services.  Second got me a 75k bumper to bumper Ford ESP (on my 3yr/18.5k lease, nonetheless).  Sorry you guys haven't had as much luck.

As for my local Ford dealership, they are completely top notch.  I'm the only Energi (or PHEV or EV) they've ever sold.  It's a very small dealer.  I also like the free Windshield washer fluid refills, especially in winter.  Not sure if that is always a thing.  The shop guys who actually work on the cars greet me around town when they are off work, as well.  Super nice people.  The techs have fixed several things that would take a lot of convincing at the local Chevy place, like a woofer they replaced on my say-so, the tech couldn't hear the rattle I could.

The local Chevy dealer is populated entirely by assholes... it pisses me off even thinking about that place.  Grr.

Edited by Rhynri

• 2 weeks later...

Been more than two weeks since my last convo. The new CSM said he was going to call me back after his vacation. Thought that was the weekend. Than figured one week. Than maybe two. Wasn't too concerned. Especially since my vehicle is still in the autobody shop.

But than yesterday I received a four question survey. Stuff like how satisfied are you with your resolution? With the length of time to resolve? How likely are you to buy another ford?

Since my concerns are not resolved in anyway yet I answered dissatisfied for most questions.

Edited by openair