Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Who has had the 30,000 Service Done?

Neil

Who has had the 30000 mile service done on their Energi?  How much was it and do you think it was worth it?  it seems like most of the items are 'supposed' to be done with the $29.99 'The Works' package.  I listed the 30,000 mile checklist items below, and noted which one of the items is done in the 'The Works' package, yearly safety inspection (Virginia) or easily done myself.  

What is everyone's opinion on this?  Is it worth the money (how much is it?)

• Change engine oil and replace oil filter (The Works
  • Inspect automatic transmission fluid level ( I can do myself in 10 minutes)
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines and hoses and parking brake system (The Works)
  • Inspect cabin air filter (if equipped) - Not Equipped
  • Inspect engine cooling system and motor/electronics cooling system strength and hoses (hybrid vehicles)
  • Inspect engine oil filter (HUH? - do you suppose they examine it and look for metal shavings?  I doubt it)
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
  • Inspect half-shaft boots (Simply look at them - if they are cracked or you see leaking, you have a problem
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and tie-rod ends. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.( Not equipped with grease fittings, everything else is supposed to be checked during a yearly safety inspections)
  • Inspect wheels and related components 
  • Perform multi-point inspection (The Works)
  • Replace engine air filter ( I can do myself for $18)
  • Reset oil life monitor (The Works)
  • Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear and measure tread depth (The Works)
Edited by Neil

The maintenance interval on the eCVT is 150k miles... maybe someone with an Escape Hybrid or maybe a 2010 Fusion Hybrid might've (but their intervals may be different).  I'd be impressed if someone drove a 2013 vehicle to 150k already.

My Expo needs the fluid swapped every 30k, but it's a traditional 4 speed with OD.

The maintenance interval on the eCVT is 150k miles... maybe someone with an Escape Hybrid or maybe a 2010 Fusion Hybrid might've (but their intervals may be different).  I'd be impressed if someone drove a 2013 vehicle to 150k already.

My Expo needs the fluid swapped every 30k, but it's a traditional 4 speed with OD.

I changed the oild in my old 2010 FFH yesterday, it now has 205k miles.  I am going later this week to dealer to get the oxygen sensors replaced again (they are said to be good for about 80k) as one was replaced 60k ago and the other replaced 140k ago... and get the engine belt replaced as I normally do that every couple years and it's now been 60k miles.  With that said, I've never done a single thing with the transmission, I only change the oil very regularly and the O2 sensors and that belt and the 12V battery at 140k miles as a preventive measure only (like the O2 sensors and belt), and that's all I've ever had to do with that great car.  Oh wait, I do change the cabin air filter every year or two.

So I don't normally get those scheduled services done, but some people consider them must-haves ... if that's their thing, more power to 'em.  The Energis now have 37k and 56k miles and I just change the oil regularly and change the air filter and cabin air filter, and all is well.

So for the OP, if the dealer tells you that they want $100 or so to replace the cabin air filter, drive 30 miles down to my house and I'll do it in 15-20 minutes and just pay me for the filter (I have spares in the garage from ordering at rockauto).

My truck will start driving funny right around the 30k mark for the transmission.  Just before I had the first service done, at around 29500, the truck started slipping a little, and it was fine after the fluid change.

What makes me batty is that the dealership will NOT drop the transmission pan and change the filter.  They say it is nothing more than a magnet in there with a screen, and that's garbage.  I've seen several youtube videos that the trucks DO have replaceable filters.

So, when the truck is due for it's 120k service, I'll take it to the dealer and let them do their flush, and then I'll bring it back here, drop the pan, and swap the filter myself.  I'll just use a clean catch-pan and pour the new fluid back in the truck when I'm done.

Considering the eCVT doesn't have any clutch discs (except the one that is in between the ICE and gearbox), it'd probably go forever.  The only wear would be the bearings.

Edited by Russael

I stand corrected on the Cabin Air Filter.  Seems easy enough to change myself, if I could find the part.  When I talked to the dealership, they said for the 30k mile service the only thing they do in addition to 'The Works' package is to change the Air filter - definitely something I will do myself (once again, if I can find the part).  

I can't locate the cabin air filter or engine air filter at any of the local auto parts stores - can you only get those things on-line? 

I can't locate the cabin air filter or engine air filter at any of the local auto parts stores - can you only get those things on-line? 

Yes that seems to be the case, unless you go to the parts counter at a dealer and their prices are normally a bit higher.

Below is from rockauto.com - I normally place a bulk order of oil/air/cabin air filters to pay for shipping once and then stock on a shelf in the garage and that's normally good for a year or so. I normally get the Motorcraft filters.

Cabin Air Filter

TYC Part # 800187P   {#DG9Z19N619A}    $8.02

HASTINGS FILTERS Part # AFC1571   $8.70

MOTORCRAFT Part # FP71   {#DG9Z19N619A} $11.60

WIX Part # WP10084   $14.86

Air Filter

HASTINGS FILTERS Part # AF1555   $7.43

PRONTO Part # PA6271   $7.52

WIX Part # WA10036   OE Number: DG9Z9601A     $11.13

MOTORCRAFT Part # FA1911   {#DG9Z9601A} $11.78

Since we are talking about it, where and how do you change the cabin? I looked in the manual and found the air, but thats it..unless I missed it...

Here are a video of a 2013 cabin air filter change.

This a fusion SE fusions but I assume the Energi is the same/similar.

Edited by JATR4

This a fusion SE fusions but I assume the Energi is the same/similar.

The below video is the one I used for reference, probably shows the same procedure but I was impressed how the guy was able to record it so well and only leave one hand open to do the work in may cases.  Anyway, I watched the below video and then made myself a quick step-by-step list and did it on both cars one after the other, IIRC the first car took 16 minutes since it was the first time I'd done it, then the second car took 12 minutes.  The only change from the below video is that I did not disconnect the wiring harness when I removed the glove box, instead I sat in the seat and rested the glove box on my shins and there was still enough space to swapout the filter.

Considering the eCVT doesn't have any clutch discs (except the one that is in between the ICE and gearbox), it'd probably go forever.  The only wear would be the bearings.

I'd contend that if it has gears, it has wear.  Plus, there's possible manufacturing debris.  I've change the oil in transmissions after short break in periods in the past and have ALWAYS found debris in the oil.  It's likely not harmful, and judging by the oil change interval it's probably not necessary.  But, as a former machinist, lifetime hot rodder, and current Sr MFG Engineer, I'll take the time and small amount of $$$ and change it out.

Truth be told, I've not always changed the fluid after break in.  On my 99 Ford Super Duty 4x4 Turbo Diesel I replaced the trans and rigged up my own transmission fluid filter.  I haven't bothered to change that fluid yet after about 35k miles because it's setup to capture any particles/debris.  But I will!

If anyone's interested, I'm "Fat Diesel" haha no surprise there huh.  This link starts on Page 4 and my filter setup starts on page 5.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1000523-something-just-happened-to-my-clutch-and-its-probably-not-good-4.html

The differential in my truck has gears and limited slip gizmos... and it has lifetime synthetic gear lube in it that Ford says will last the life of the vehicle.  Many people have never changed it and have never had a problem.  I was one of the unlucky ones and my clutch packs started binding.  I wound up draining the pumpkin, refilling it with full synthetic again, and dropped in a little extra friction modifier so it would stop shuddering.  The oil itself was still quite clear, even after 110k.  But boy does that stuff STINK!  And the friction modifier somehow smells even worse.

Yes, metal particulates shave off, but there are strong magnets in the differential of my truck, and transmission pan too that catches all of that.