Ford Fusion Energi Forum

110V Outlet has burnt marks (charring)

gumby

I have noticed charring on both the 110V outlet and the charger plug when using the Ford 110V Charger. This is occurring both at home and at work where in both cases the charger is plugged directly into the 110V outlet (no ext cord). Has anyone else noticed this? I’m concerned that the heat could cause a fire. I have attached pictures of both the outlet and the charger plug. This outlet is at work and is not as burnt as the outlet in my garage. Anyone else have this?

post-670-0-48292200-1436291730_thumb.jpg

post-670-0-07312000-1436291731_thumb.jpg

I've been through 2 replacement chargers and have replaced my home receptacle three times in 2 yrs.  They seem to start off fine, but I've noticed over a few months the charging plug itself becomes VERY hot and the plastic starts to melt.  I'm interested the comments that I've seen about the need to "support" the transformer. (mine hangs from the plug) The plugs that I use at work are for designated E-vehicles so I'm assuming that they are installed correctly.  However, I have noticed that they all have the outdoor "covers" on them which put a strain on the plug because they force the thick wire away from seating flush with the plug.  

I'm interested in hearing if anyone one else has had similar issues.

• 1 month later...

Mine has done this as well, on four different outlets, with and without an extension cord, and at both ends of the extension cord. (Yes, the ext cord is sized appropriately for the load.) Oh, and it's fried two Kill-A-Watt meters completely as well.

Verify that the outlet was wired by wrapping the wires under the screw heads and not using the wire insert holes.  The holes are fine for lamp circuits but don't exert enough pressure for a maximum continuous load.

• 10 months later...

Mine has done this as well, on four different outlets, with and without an extension cord, and at both ends of the extension cord. (Yes, the ext cord is sized appropriately for the load.) Oh, and it's fried two Kill-A-Watt meters completely as well.

Same here. I just commented on my own thread on how my car mysteriously stopped charging. 

And viola my Kill-A-Watt was melted. 

The sad part is I have used a Kill-A-Watt meter with a 110 welder and it worked great.

post-2231-0-28262900-1469195033_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-82546100-1469195033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neo_rules