Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Scraping noise when moving

Neil

My Energi has recently developed a scraping noise when it's moving.  It sounds like a worn out brake pad, but it was inspected (or was supposed to be) during the last oil change (last week at the dealership) .  Plus, it only has about 34k miles with a lifetime regen brake score of 95%, so I would be surprised if the brake pads were already worn.  It is getting progressively worse, from last week where I thought to myself 'hmmm....I think I hear a weird noise' to today when I thought to myself 'WHAT THE HECK IS THAT HORRIBLE NOISE!!'.

What else could make a noise like a brake pad warming tab on a rotor? 

All great questions.  The rhythm of the noise does increase as I speed up, but it does not change if I put on the brakes (weird!).   It is not audible inside the cabin, unless I am driving next to something that reflects the sound back at me - like a Jersey wall or a row of parked cars.  I ran my finger across all four rotors, and although they are not as smooth as i would expect, they are all four the same  - no out of the ordinary scoring on any of them.  I can't tell where the noise is coming from since I only hear it when it is reflected back at me - so it always sounds like the left front.  

I'm going to pull the front wheels off this weekend and have a look at the pads.  What kind of mileage have other people gotten out of their OEM pads? 

I hear a metal to metal noise while backing out of my garage to the street (I pass between my house and the neighbors as my garage is in the backyard), but I know it's the brakes.  I can step on them and the noise changes slightly from a light swirly noise to something that almost sounds like paper being rubbed together due to the friction.  I know you said your noise doesn't change when you depress the brake, but you may be getting regen rather than using the friction pads.  While rolling, pop it in neutral and then hit the brakes and see what it does.

Your pads may be glazed a little since they're probably not being used that frequently.  The only things that would likely make noise down by the wheels while you move are your brakes, wheel bearings, half shaft u-joints, and maybe the rubber boots that surround them.

Only other thing it could be is the transmission, but I think that would generate more of a whine (if it is the electric motor going) or a rumble (if something was wrong with the gears).

Edited by Russael

I have the same type of noise that I hear when the windows are down and I hear it, as you say bouncing off something.  I wrote it off as being normal for a hybrid as this is my first, but now you have me wondering. I have a road trip coming up and an appt  when I return for my 10K service to do my oil change and tire rotate so I will see if anything changes after this is done.

We hear a whirring noise when rolling. I can hear it best when in our underground parking garage at home. I will have to check again tonight to confirm, but I'm pretty sure our noise can be heard when in Neutral just rolling. It sounds like a brake pad rubbing. But I've never thought much of it. Now you have me curious too...

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, this falls into one of those "ya me too" posts...

just my screen shows the second last comment was in 2015 and the last comment Feb 3 of this year. Seems pertinent to say that my Fusion also has the same problem. Mine is a recent purchase, Nov 19, from the dealer at 135km on the odometer, 2018 model Fusion Energi. The sound is coming from the front passenger side and sounds/feels exactly like a worn brake shoe rubbing, metal on metal (same sound described by others on this thread).

I have the extended warranty plan for 5 years and when it goes in for the 6 month check I will ask them to look at it. Easy to reproduce the sound, just no time to take it in now I need it to perform.

Will post again after that.

Cheers,

Edited by Bookkeeper

• 7 months later...

Neil / Bookkeeper...what did you ultimately find?  My second Fusion hybrid but first time to have this issue.  Not the normal regen sound.  Its horrible; metal on metal as you describe, like worn brakes.  Coming from BOTH sides on the front.  Our road is under repair and pretty rough so I thought it was a rock in the brakes, but what are the odds to have that on more than one wheel? I will pull wheels tomorrow to look, but wonder what others ended up finding.  This is on a 2019 Fusion Hybrid with less than 35K miles.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drop in so late on the feed but I am having the same problem. 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium. 108K miles.

I kind of discribe it as a humming sound at the speed of rubbing your hands together. As I leave a stop, the rubbing gains in speed as the car does. Always the same sound at the same volume level. Not real loud but loud enough to think others outside can hear it. I can't hear it at speeds over 40 because of road noise, or the bitchen stereo. I had a service today and they checked the brakes and rotors and found nothing. Other than that, I love my car!

Has anyone had any luck or diagnosis?

Thanks to all.

Edited by Mark A
Misspelled word

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I took it to the dealer and he was able to locate the noise.  It's a bearing on the regenerative braking mechanism.  Unfortunately the regen unit is located inside the transmission bell housing, and it can not be serviced.  The only solution is a new transmission at about $9,600.   I'm going to live with it and drive the car until it causes a catastrophic failure.  Then take the license plates off of it and RUN!  

I changed the transmission fluid a bit early (125k miles) to see if that would help.  It was surprisingly easy to do, and only cost a little more than an oil change (~$60 in parts and an hour of time).  I was encouraged that there was no metal filings on the magnetic drain plug, and the fluid didn't look that bad.  The fluid change definitely quieted down the scraping noise - maybe the fresh fluid will slow the wear on the bearing some as well.  Regardless, it's pretty much a 'dead car walking' situation.  I don't have much hope  for this car, but I'm at 127k miles now, so if I get another year out of it it won't be as bad as it could have been.  I always drive my cars for 10 years and 150k miles, but this one simply is not going to make it.