Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV Now / EV Later not available

ctfusion

Yesterday I took a trip from Connecticut to New Jersey and back (about 140 miles each way). On the way down I used EV Later because I wanted to save the battery for near my home. I had no problems with this on the way down. On the way back I did the same thing, had it in EV Later and it was fine until about 1 1/2 hours into the trip. At that point it changed to EV Auto and had "X's" in the other two choices. I had about 17 miles remaining on the battery and I had a little over half a tank of gas. It then ran in EV Auto until the HVB ran out then it switched to Hybrid. 

Any idea why it would have done that all of a sudden like that?

Stan

We may have passed each other on the highway, yesterday I came back from Delaware through NJ and CT on the way to MA.  Sounds like an issue, you shouldn't not be able to switch into the other modes.  I switched back and forth many times on the way home, even stopped in Fairfield at the Whole Foods market and recharged back up to 100% for 1 hour worth (see my other post here with pictures) and used that up later to drive from Route 6 and 102 intersection in RI all the way back to Franklin, MA.

I have never not been able to switch modes in the 2 years I've had my Maxie, I'm not sure what is causing your issue but I don't think that is normal to get locked out like that.  Maybe someone else with some experience with that can comment if they figured out the root cause.

-=>Raja.

I have no idea as oil maintenance and old gasoline should not apply in this case.  For future reference the power flow screen usually has a reason displayed for why the car is doing something out of the ordinary.

This is one of my biggest complaint about this...I'm never on that screen and wish they would have programmed when something does happen, it goes to that screen or goes somewhere that as a Driver, you can tell/see. Ford needs to do more with who they hire to program the software into its cars..They public wants more, not less

I have had this happen to me before, but its been heavy traffic..and it locks me out from changing and by the time I can, the battery is done and the car becomes a hybrid...Its happened maybe twice, but in my cases, I think its the heavy traffic with heat...

Now that you mention it, I think I was in traffic as I approached the Tappan Zee Bridge when it happened. So maybe it does have something to do with that. And like you said, I could not switch back, even after I got moving and it ran the battery out.

Maybe it has something to do with the heat of the engine and there isn't sufficient cooling for stop and go traffic or it just assumes you don't want to waste gas sitting in that traffic.

I don't understand this, my Cmax doesn't do that I get stuck in all sorts of traffic going south on 95 from construction to rush hour and the famous GW Bridge.  I can always switch modes as much as I want.  Something doesn't make sense, check the Power screen to see what it says when its locked out in Auto mode.  Maybe if you floor it and force the ICE to start up it will kick out of being locked out, or stop, power off the car and power it back on?  Have you tried either when this happens?

-=>Raja.

When I say heavy traffic, I mean, I'm in it for an hour or so..DC metro is only #2 worse traffic in the US....Its been months..but if it ever happens again, I'll try and see whats all going on... I just blew it off as something normal, like the yellow/orange light that says its unavail for maintance...I've had that happen to me more than once but after a few, it goes away...

I wasn't in traffic for all that long when it happened and in fact the whole traffic incident was only 15 - 20 minutes. I didn't have a chance to pull over and power down / back up and I certainly didn't have an opportunity to floor it. If it happens again I will look at the power screen to see if it says anything and if I can will try the "reboot" of the car. 

Most likely, if it happens again I will bring it into Ford and at least talk to someone to see if they know.

When I say heavy traffic, I mean, I'm in it for an hour or so..DC metro is only #2 worse traffic in the US....Its been months..but if it ever happens again, I'll try and see whats all going on... I just blew it off as something normal, like the yellow/orange light that says its unavail for maintance...I've had that happen to me more than once but after a few, it goes away...

Who is #1?

well this has happen to me atleast 4x since i got the car once on a trip to FL from NY during winter months, it was in north carolina around midnight or later cant remember right now but no traffic and i had just jumped on I95 south when the car when from EV later to auto i lost 8 miles because of it

2nd time might have been around March no so hot yet but was in light traffic, last time was about a month ago crossing the GW bridge but since i was getting out as soon as i cross the bridge i payed no mind to it as i was going to switch back to auto for city driving

both time wasnt as warm but i ignored it maybe its time to refer this to our friendly ford reps 

What does the power screen show on the MFT?  The one that shows a picture of the car and where the power is flowing to and from.

-=>Raja.

i think it said engine on due to maintenance cant remember but i find weird is cause this tank i have around 850 miles with 50 miles left of gas

That is what the screen looks like when the HVB is depleted and the car switches to hybrid mode.  The battery icon is the hybrid portion of the battery.  The power screen on MFT will tell what the HVB charge level is.  I would expect it to be 0% in this case.

no i had 15 miles on the battery left what i dont understand is why after i was EV now it just switched to auto 

Fuel freshness mode will force the engine to run. 

If gas has not been added for 18 months it will burn gasoline until about 1 gallon remains to get rid of the old gasoline.  If you go for long periods without using the engine you need to put StaBil in the gas tank to preserve the gasoline.  It's available at Lowe's.

Engine maintenance would most likely mean the Oil Maintenance mode, which causes the car to come on to lubricate the engine. But if you are using the ICE a lot, that shouldn't happen.

I agree with other comments - the driver screen shows a depeleted HVB (small hybrid battery). What is the percentage on the MFT "leaves" display, which shows the HVB %?

Engine maintenance would most likely mean the Oil Maintenance mode, which causes the car to come on to lubricate the engine. But if you are using the ICE a lot, that shouldn't happen.

I agree with other comments - the driver screen shows a depeleted HVB (small hybrid battery). What is the percentage on the MFT "leaves" display, which shows the HVB %?

When it happened on mine I had 17 miles showing, which is not hybrid battery. I didn't look at the percentage. It's certainly not from fuel freshness mode as I drive in EV Later everyday and fill up about once a month, nor would it be Oil Maint for the same reason and especially since that day I had already driven about 200 miles in EV Later before it decided to switch to EV Auto on its own.

i think it said engine on due to maintenance cant remember but i find weird is cause this tank i have around 850 miles with 50 miles left of gas

no i had 15 miles on the battery left what i dont understand is why after i was EV now it just switched to auto 

I don't see 15 miles showing on the battery in the photo you took or am I missing something?

If you've taken a lot of pictures of that console, which I do a lot sometimes the camera does not focus on the battery and it doesn't show if it's too bright. Readjusting the camera before taking the picture tapping on the screen to focus again can help. I know he's got miles because that batteries be with the tip on it. The hybrid battery is a pure rectangle.

-=>Raja