Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV Now / EV Later not available

ctfusion

Guys, 

That's not a depleted battery, take a closer look.  That's the HVB battery and its almost full in his picture.  The depleted battery icon is different.

-=>Raja.

Raja,

He has a 2013, the HVB battery has a percentage on it (although maybe it can be dropped in the 2013 via the settings menu; so far as I know it can't be changed in the 2014 and they removed the text in 2015). That is what I meant when I said it is the hybrid battery. That battery display is what I get when the HVB depletes - the text is removed and the "normal" battery comes up.

Whatever battery it is, yes, it is full. But that has a vastly different meaning for HVB and hybrid battery displays.

so it happen again yesterday after the car sat all week at my work garage was using the company car all week 

car started out in EV now then 5 min into the drive this happen

IMG_20150729_174142.jpg

engine turned out and display said routine maintenance 

Back on point, it sounds like there is some problem with your battery system. I'd take it in to the dealer and have them check it. The hybrid components have an extended warranty.

I agree with other comments - the driver screen shows a depeleted HVB (small hybrid battery). What is the percentage on the MFT "leaves" display, which shows the HVB %?

The picture shows a three-dimensional battery, not the two-dimensional battery that appears when the charge is depleted & you're in hybrid mode.

Raja,

He has a 2013, the HVB battery has a percentage on it (although maybe it can be dropped in the 2013 via the settings menu; so far as I know it can't be changed in the 2014 and they removed the text in 2015). That is what I meant when I said it is the hybrid battery. That battery display is what I get when the HVB depletes - the text is removed and the "normal" battery comes up.

Whatever battery it is, yes, it is full. But that has a vastly different meaning for HVB and hybrid battery displays.

The 2013 shows the miles on the three-dimensional battery icon. Once the HVB is depleted & switches to the 2D picture there is no display of miles. The percentage is never shown on the left dash screen. The picture Da0ne posted is a 3D battery.

The picture shows a three-dimensional battery, not the two-dimensional battery that appears when the charge is depleted & you're in hybrid mode.

The 2013 shows the miles on the three-dimensional battery icon. Once the HVB is depleted & switches to the 2D picture there is no display of miles. The percentage is never shown on the left dash screen. The picture Da0ne posted is a 3D battery.

Hybrid, I'm just not seeing it, but then I'm using a 2014. I'll have to look at the 3D vs 2d again next time I run down.

so it happen again yesterday i was waiting for the wife so i left car on with windows down since there was a nice breeze atleast for me it was, after she came back started to complain it was hot so i turn the a/c on temp outside was 84 after 5 min the car changed from EV now to Auto 

the car had been sitting in the driveway for 2 days now without being moved yesterday, im starting to think it has to do with the temp outside either way the car is going to ford on Sat so we shall see what they say, although i have a funny feeling they will say it was the weather as i was driving around i heard scraping/grinding so i will have them look at this also 

What hash marks? Do you have pics? My parents' 2013 C-Max Energi is the same as our Fusion Energi.

Your 3d battery picture has a white grid superimposed on it, sort of like a chain link fence. Mine is a solid blue color. It could be my monitor I suppose, but the 2D is a solid color.

Am I the only one who sees it?

That is a moire pattern due to poor anti-aliasing of the camera. 

Thanks, Larry, for the excellent explanation of the source of the confusion. I took the picture in a dark garage with the dash lights on relatively dimly (I keep it dimmed to the darkest setting with headlights on) and thus the iPhone camera has the moiré pattern.

Photographs of a TV screen taken with a digital camera often exhibit moiré patterns. Since both the TV screen and the digital camera use a scanning technique to produce or to capture pictures with horizontal scan lines, the conflicting sets of lines cause the moiré patterns. To avoid the effect, the digital camera can be aimed at an angle of 30 degrees to the TV screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

My phone was almost parallel to the LCD dash screen and thus the moiré pattern is visible.

Edited by Hybridbear

Today it happened to me again, exactly like before & like others have posted. Before I started driving I had remote started the car & let the AC run for almost 30 minutes. The outside temp was about 74 F with rain & the AC for remote starting was set to 65 F. The HVB temp was about 76 F. The car showed the PHEV state was 1 - Charge Depleting Mode. After driving about 1.0 miles the discharge limit dropped from 59 kW to virtually 0 kW & the ICE turned on (I didn't see the discharge limit on my tablet screen but I was driving at less than 1 bar of power demand on the Empower screen when the ICE turned on). I immediately pulled over to the side of the road (I was doing about 20 MPH on a side street) and turned off the car. When I restarted it the PHEV state was still 1, but now it allowed me to change it to EV Now (4 - Locked Electric Mode). I had about 2.7 kWh of ETE in the HVB when this happened.

th_A42633A2-794C-49EF-B098-80AE3A190387_

Edited by Hybridbear

Today it happened to me again, exactly like before & like others have posted. Before I started driving I had remote started the car & let the AC run for almost 30 minutes. The outside temp was about 74 F with rain & the AC for remote starting was set to 65 F. The HVB temp was about 76 F. The car showed the PHEV state was 1 - Charge Depleting Mode. After driving about 1.0 miles the discharge limit dropped from 59 kW to virtually 0 kW & the ICE turned on (I didn't see the discharge limit on my tablet screen but I was driving at less than 1 bar of power demand on the Empower screen when the ICE turned on). I immediately pulled over to the side of the road (I was doing about 20 MPH on a side street) and turned off the car. When I restarted it the PHEV state was still 1, but now it allowed me to change it to EV Now (4 - Locked Electric Mode). I had about 2.7 kWh of ETE in the HVB when this happened.

th_A42633A2-794C-49EF-B098-80AE3A190387_

HB,

Now THATS what my 3d battery looks like.

Someone needs to tell Ford about this one, there is a bug in the control software.

On a side note, I didn't realize the dash was that different from the C-Max. My headlight icon is under the speedometer.

so i got the car back and as i figured they couldnt replicate so they dont know whats wrong the tech went on to say that maybe the battery was to low and that why it wouldnt stay in EV now.....so the argument beings after that, i told him that doesnt make sense and neither do you as i can still drive on the battery as i had 15 ETE just on auto i wanted to switch to EV Later as i was entering the highway and didnt want to use the battery, needless say i wont be going back to them since they were being aholes about some of the mods i had done to the car 

Edited by Da0ne

Mods? like what? Just wondering since you mentioned it.

For those that are having this problem; were you switching modes before this happened and how fast were you hitting the button?

When it happened to me, I believe I was switching kind of fast and maybe that has something to do with it...

IMG_20150620_072833.jpg

i was stopped at a light about to enter highway

also have my calipers painted and they said that the reason im hearing grinding coming from the car

Edited by Da0ne

For those that are having this problem; were you switching modes before this happened and how fast were you hitting the button?

When it happened to me, I believe I was switching kind of fast and maybe that has something to do with it...

I have only had it happen after the car has been remote started for long periods of time. Other times that it is remote started for long periods I don't have this issue. We leave our car in EV Now for months at a time. The last time our car wasn't in EV Now was July 5th...

When it happened to me I was on the highway but in traffic. I had put it in EV Later about 1 1/2 hours prior and hadn't touched it after that. I only noticed it because when it changed to EV Auto my left side display changed to (I think) Empower. That's when I tried to switch back to EV Later and saw that it wouldn't let me until about 15 or so miles later when the HVB ran out.

Nice, Da0ne, have a pic of the rear? just wondering if you did anything there..

thanks not much yet going to get the 3dcarbon rear conversion when i get a chance after vacations are over

IMG_20150426_100951.jpg

so funny that after i picked up the car yesterday as i was driving out of the dealers lot tried to switch to EV later and guess what happen only Auto was available, i did a quick u-turn back to the service dept and showed them and they where puzzled and said they will report it to Ford, lets see what happens

• 2 weeks later...