Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV Now / EV Later not available

ctfusion

Any news on this anomaly?

I'd also like to know if anyone has any news on this issue...

This happened to me for the first time two weeks ago; it actually happened twice in the same week but I haven't seen the issue come up again. Knowing how these things work -- I bet that this will happen to me again tomorrow.  ;)

The first time this happened (I couldn't switch over to EV Now or the EV Later modes), I had just merged onto the freeway in Auto mode... then tried to switch to EV Later mode... Then the two "X"s that locked me out of the other two modes.

The second time this happened, I was in driving on the freeway in EV Later mode, then switched into Auto mode due to traffic on the freeway. When traffic cleared up and I tried to go back to EV Later mode... No luck.

In both cases I pulled over at the next exit and shut down the car. When I started back up all was normal. Also, I KNOW that I had anywhere from 50-70% of the HV battery remaining (over 10 EV miles remaining in both cases) -- so that's why I was puzzled. Then I found this thread.

I'll mention this to my Ford dealership the next time I bring in the car for an oil change, but any help/info/advice would be great.

Edited by BLFarnsworth

Just checking in, I saw this happen once, about a month ago with my C-Max Energi. I was in stop and go traffic, looked down, and realized it was in Auto. I hit the button and saw the message that EV Later was not available. Since we were stop and go, I took the opportunity to restart the car, and it went right back into EV Later when I hit the button. Some kind of quirk with the software.

That is the only time I've seen it in 13 months of ownership.

Edited by stevedebi

Just checking in, I saw this happen once, about a month ago with my C-Max Energi. I was in stop and go traffic, looked down, and realized it was in Auto. I hit the button and saw the message that EV Later was not available. Since we were stop and go, I took the opportunity to restart the car, and it went right back into EV Later when I hit the button. Some kind of quirk with the software.

Same here, happened for the first time last week (now with 63k miles), was stuck in Auto with 8 miles in HVB to start....  once it ran out and got home and then charged back up, all was fine.  I agree, must be an "undocumented feature" with the software.

I'd also like to know if anyone has any news on this issue...

This happened to me for the first time two weeks ago; it actually happened twice in the same week but I haven't seen the issue come up again. Knowing how these things work -- I bet that this will happen to me again tomorrow.  ;)

The first time this happened (I couldn't switch over to EV Now or the EV Later modes), I had just merged onto the freeway in Auto mode... then tried to switch to EV Later mode... Then the two "X"s that locked me out of the other two modes.

The second time this happened, I was in driving on the freeway in EV Later mode, then switched into Auto mode due to traffic on the freeway. When traffic cleared up and I tried to go back to EV Later mode... No luck.

In both cases I pulled over at the next exit and shut down the car. When I started back up all was normal. Also, I KNOW that I had anywhere from 50-70% of the HV battery remaining (over 10 EV miles remaining in both cases) -- so that's why I was puzzled. Then I found this thread.

I'll mention this to my Ford dealership the next time I bring in the car for an oil change, but any help/info/advice would be great.

Same here, happened for the first time last week (now with 63k miles), was stuck in Auto with 8 miles in HVB to start....  once it ran out and got home and then charged back up, all was fine.  I agree, must be an "undocumented feature" with the software.

Hi guys,

Please let me know if this reoccurs. I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer, as well.

Meagan

Edited by FordService

It has done it a few times, most of the time, its been when I've been driving on the highway, and then coming up to bumper to bumper traffic and when I switch, it tells me "engine running due to normal operation" and I'm like, you had been running so why do you need to be running now when I want EV...I think sometimes, I hit the button too fast or something like that...but it is annoying

Has anyone tried running a health report through the SYNC system. I just performed that yesterday and got a fairly decent overview. If I want the full report I need to go to the dealer. Also, I did a system update via usb. I think the SYNC update is more or less a nav/dmtertainment thing. It would be interesting to know if anything pops up.

• 10 months later...

Happened to me yesterday on the way back from Indiana.  I just pulled over and shut off the car.  Waited 1 minute for it to upload the trip information to MFM, powered the car back up and was able to switch normally into EV later.  I did NOT want to waste my battery pack, so this worked just fine (basically rebooting the car), so if it happens to you try to pull over and power cycle it.

-=>Raja.

• 1 year later...

Greetings,

This is my first post here but through Google I've found this thread on my exact issue. My 2015 C-Max Energi is not staying in Ev Now/Later with a charge still on battery. My C-max doesn't engage the engine it simply stays in auto mode and greys out the other two options.

I've visited two Ev certified Ford Dealers and of course they've not been able to resolve even though they have seen the issue happen!

This video i recorded and placed on YouTube shows exactly what is happening and how I have to restart the car to unlock the other modes.

For the post that mentioned this was resolved through a defective heater; could you please elaborate more? Anything I could show to dealer on next visit would be helpful!

Thanks for reading my long post!

For the post that mentioned this was resolved through a defective heater; could you please elaborate more? Anything I could show to dealer on next visit would be helpful!

I had these symptoms resolved by replacing my electric heater. However these symptoms were also accompanied with an orange wrench for a powertrain fault and it still look more then a year and the electric heater being replaced twice. If you're not seeing an orange wrench and the dealer cannot find any dtc's you're likely stuck with the issue as is par for the course for Ford.

The electric heater is also likely only one of many potential causes for these symptoms.

Edited by openair

This is programming that seems like it should be relatively easy to debug, since it likely involves only one variable, the charge level. The battery gauge and the EV mode selector code are reading different values.

These cars are computers, and should have the ability to push a button to dump the contents of memory and the sensors to a removable SD card.

I had these symptoms resolved by replacing my electric heater. However these symptoms were also accompanied with an orange wrench for a powertrain fault and it still look more then a year and the electric heater being replaced twice. If you're not seeing an orange wrench and the dealer cannot find any dtc's you're likely stuck with the issue as is par for the course for Ford.

The electric heater is also likely only one of many potential causes for these symptoms.

Interesting. First dealer I was working with replaced hybrid battery fan and transmission pump as a CEL did appear, though those replacements clearly haven't resolved my issue.

Guess I'll wait it out hopefully the next CEL is for the heater. Heater is getting good use now on these chilly mornings so maybe sooner than later.

This is programming that seems like it should be relatively easy to debug, since it likely involves only one variable, the charge level. The battery gauge and the EV mode selector code are reading different values.

These cars are computers, and should have the ability to push a button to dump the contents of memory and the sensors to a removable SD card.

I would think also but neither dealer seems to be able to do that. I've even been able to coast into both dealer services with a few mile charge as I'd happen to be near them when the car does this so they can actually see it happen live; but again with no CEL it's like they can't think of any other diagnostic!

I agree Ford should be able to do something more then nothing without a dtc however there is likely far more involved then the one variable you assume here. In my case, with the same Ev now later not available with white x's, I had a dtc for coolant heater performance and the heater was not performing as intended. Ev later and now may be locked out like this for many reasons as a safety.

And even though I had a orange wrench for a powertrain fault it took about 9 months dozens of trips to multiple dealers all within 3 days of an orange wrench appearing for anything from Ford other then "No dtc so nothing." Eventually managed to get into a dealer with the orange wrench still present and finally there was a dtc. The second time the heater was replaced there was a dtc without the orange wrench present. So either it was a case of a unknown and unhandled error or the dealers did not want to perform a repair they had no experience with and would take longer for them to learn then they would be reimbursed and didn't want to try. Remember we're talking about the same Ford who needed a class action lawsuit against them so they would do more then throw 3+ of the same defective clutch at a focus.

Edited by openair

A defective heater was the root cause in my case. Whenever the electric heater was turned on it would fault out within 10 minutes leaving the car stuck in EV Auto mode. In my case the fault set a DTC which was labeled "coolant heater fault" in ForScan. I took it to the dealer and told them there was DTC stored. They did a challenge test on the heater and diagnosed it as faulty right away. I had the heater replaced under warranty and I've never seen the problem again.

I suspect there may be more than one kind of fault that can cause the car to get stuck in EV Auto. In my case it did not turn the CEL on, but there was a DTC stored. I really don't understand how your vehicle can get into that state without a DTC. Get one of those bluetooth OBD dongles and link it up with your phone and use the ForScan app to scan for DTCs.

Greetings,

This is my first post here but through Google I've found this thread on my exact issue. My 2015 C-Max Energi is not staying in Ev Now/Later with a charge still on battery. My C-max doesn't engage the engine it simply stays in auto mode and greys out the other two options.

I've visited two Ev certified Ford Dealers and of course they've not been able to resolve even though they have seen the issue happen!

This video i recorded and placed on YouTube shows exactly what is happening and how I have to restart the car to unlock the other modes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the picture you posted shows your HV battery depleted and your car working in Hybrid mode with EV Now and EV Later grayed out.  That is the way it is supposed to work.  The image of your battery shows no numbers of miles left on it which tells me you used up all the Plug-in miles, and are now operating on the Hybrid portion of the battery.  You can only get EV Now and EV later when there are miles displayed on the battery, not in hybrid mode.  The little bit of juice showing on the battery is what is left of hybrid mode.

Feel free to correct me on this, but that's what I see.  My 15 Fusion Energi looks the same as your C-Max

Maybe I'm missing something, but the picture you posted shows your HV battery depleted and your car working in Hybrid mode with EV Now and EV Later grayed out.  That is the way it is supposed to work.  The image of your battery shows no numbers of miles left on it which tells me you used up all the Plug-in miles, and are now operating on the Hybrid portion of the battery.  You can only get EV Now and EV later when there are miles displayed on the battery, not in hybrid mode.  The little bit of juice showing on the battery is what is left of hybrid mode.

Feel free to correct me on this, but that's what I see.  My 15 Fusion Energi looks the same as your C-Max

Looks to me like the 3d icon used for the ev range.  The hybrid mode icon doesn't have the same edges.  The number was removed from this icon in later model years.  

A defective heater was the root cause in my case. Whenever the electric heater was turned on it would fault out within 10 minutes leaving the car stuck in EV Auto mode. In my case the fault set a DTC which was labeled "coolant heater fault" in ForScan. I took it to the dealer and told them there was DTC stored. They did a challenge test on the heater and diagnosed it as faulty right away. I had the heater replaced under warranty and I've never seen the problem again.

I suspect there may be more than one kind of fault that can cause the car to get stuck in EV Auto. In my case it did not turn the CEL on, but there was a DTC stored. I really don't understand how your vehicle can get into that state without a DTC. Get one of those bluetooth OBD dongles and link it up with your phone and use the ForScan app to scan for DTCs.

I'll look into Forscan I've heard of it but not investigated. I've only recently started to use the heater and the instances where it locked out I was using AC or climate was off.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the picture you posted shows your HV battery depleted and your car working in Hybrid mode with EV Now and EV Later grayed out. That is the way it is supposed to work. The image of your battery shows no numbers of miles left on it which tells me you used up all the Plug-in miles, and are now operating on the Hybrid portion of the battery. You can only get EV Now and EV later when there are miles displayed on the battery, not in hybrid mode. The little bit of juice showing on the battery is what is left of hybrid mode.

Feel free to correct me on this, but that's what I see. My 15 Fusion Energi looks the same as your C-Max

At time of recording it shows 5 miles Ev. After I restarted the car and went into Ev Later it showed 20% charge.