Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Cross-Traffic System Fault warning

Blastphemy

Every once in a while, my car alerts me to a "Cross-Traffic System Fault." I'd like to think this is due to bright sunlight hitting the relevant sensor or some other normal explanation, but it happens more often than I'd expect under those conditions. Also, I never see that fault when I'm reversing out of a parking spot, but rather when I'm driving, which seems odd.

Anyone else experience this? (I'm driving a 2105 Ford Fusion Titanium Energi.)

BTW, I don't find the Cross-Traffic Alert useful at all because while I'm either looking out my back window or at the reverse camera display, the CTA alert is being displayed as a tiny light on my side mirror. Dumb! In my Cadillac ELR, the reverse camera image would show a large blinking arrow pointing to the side of the car from where the approaching vehicle or pedestrian was coming. That's a much better implementation than Ford's.

I got faults when I had my 10' fusion hybrid when I was in the left lane and nothing was there..It would take awhile for it to reset itself. I havent had any issues with my 14'. I would get it checked out. Also, make sure you wash the car so often because dust/dirt can give you faults.

I agree they could have done a better job at letting you know where the car is coming from when in reverse, but you do get a audio noise when there is a car coming when you cant see behind the car you are parked next to or any other objects so I find it very helpful.

Every once in a while, my car alerts me to a "Cross-Traffic System Fault." I'd like to think this is due to bright sunlight hitting the relevant sensor or some other normal explanation, but it happens more often than I'd expect under those conditions. Also, I never see that fault when I'm reversing out of a parking spot, but rather when I'm driving, which seems odd.

Anyone else experience this? (I'm driving a 2105 Ford Fusion Titanium Energi.)

BTW, I don't find the Cross-Traffic Alert useful at all because while I'm either looking out my back window or at the reverse camera display, the CTA alert is being displayed as a tiny light on my side mirror. Dumb! In my Cadillac ELR, the reverse camera image would show a large blinking arrow pointing to the side of the car from where the approaching vehicle or pedestrian was coming. That's a much better implementation than Ford's.

The light in the mirror is the blind spot system. The CTA alert displays on the left dash screen & beeps at you. The left dash screen will tell you which side the car is coming from. The CTA system uses the sensors on the sides of the rear bumper. The system appears to have many faults. Other users have had their cars be essentially a lemon due to persistent CTA faults while driving forward. We get the CTA faults from time to time, mostly when driving in heavy rain or snow.

Never a fault but sometimes the BLIS on one of the sides doesn't work whent the car is dirty... You can get BLIS / Cross traffic alert without the front & rear parking.

My guess is there are two sensors on both sides (driver and passenger) of the door panels. Its time ford added one or two more sensors for a more reliable system.

• 3 months later...

Brought in my car for service, and the technician said he couldn't pull any codes for this problem (despite it happening nearly daily). Oh, well - at least the error messages don't stop the Cross-Traffic System from actually working when it's supposed to (so far, at least). Still think it's an extremely dumb design to require the driver to look forward at the left side of the gauge area to see which side the rear traffic is coming from... especially stupid if a car is coming from the right!

• 6 months later...