Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Map Updates - New Features

Markn455

I currently have A4 and considering an update to A6. When we updated our Jeep, there were not only map updates but some other improvements. I was wondering if Ford updates anything or if they just update the maps and POIs?

One thing that is very annoying is the over use of voice prompts on divided highways. When navigating and if you are on a divided highway, it constantly tells you to "go straight on..." At every place you can do a u-turn or turn left. This is extremely annoying with all the prompts basically telling you it to turn. Just tell me if I need to turn...if not, shut the heck up.

Mark

My TomTom does the same thing, however, I have voice prompts muted.  I really dislike voice navigation, so I have it muted in the Fusion and on my TomTom and just go by the visual aids.

My girlfriend appreciates the voice prompts (she has a Garmin) because she never mounts the thing.  Reminds me of a backseat driver. :)

The SD card does not give new NAV features - it just updates the database with the newest maps and information. Updates would come in the form of an update to the NAV, which can be found on the Ford Owner site. I updated my C-Max a couple of months ago. You download a file to a USB stick, put the stick in the car, and the system upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

I subscribed to Sirius Traffic for the GPS before going on my trip.  Was 43 dollars for a year.  Figured it'd be nice to go around traffic jams or detours without just being surprised by it.

Now to have Sirius flood my emailbox with ads.  :mail:

I figure I'll update the vehicle GPS next year, and will probably go the Ebay route.

The instructions are not always useful.  Headed north on I95 it wanted me to get off at the next interchange, drive straight across the road and get back on at the same interchange.  There was no reason for those instructions so I ignored them.

Sometimes that actually is faster. There's a highway in the Twin Cities that's under construction right now & thus there is a severe bottleneck where 4 lanes go down to 2. Depending on traffic conditions I will take one exit & get right back on the freeway, bypassing minutes of sitting in traffic. A few months ago when this construction first started very few drivers had figured out this trick. Now I see dozens doing it & thus the traffic is often worse if you exit & then get back on the freeway.

• 5 months later...

Received a letter today with just a post office box in Orem, UT for the return address.  It's an advertisement for the A7 map update for $149.00.  Purchase by 5/13/16 and the shipping is free.

Yes, I received that same letter the other day.  I remember receiving a similar letter for the A6 update for the same $149.  Seems ridiculous that Ford would charge that much for the updated SD card.  If we can buy a Garmin with lifetime map updates I wish Ford would offer the same.  I think the Navigation option is $795 and including lifetime updates would be nice.  I guess that is asking too much.

I got the A5 update from eBay for $49.00.  It worked fine but the map was no different in my area than the A4 version that came with the car.

I had that same issue from Acura. Bought the DVD for $149 (normally $199) with free shipping (woohoo!) after 2 years hoping to see all the new roads being built in the area. Unfortunately there was almost no change in the map, just the POI and a fix for daylight savings time. Meanwhile my wife used a little garmin unit that I bought $99 updates for life and they updated quarterly. Was not happy. They said that they did make map updates, it was just not in my area.

I still have the same SD card that was in the car when I purchased so I am hoping that the A7 version will be better, but I am going to wait a bit for the price to come down to the $50-$75 range. Still surprised that they eventually get down to that price. I guess that there is a huge mark up from the dealers and the OEM lists that same price when direct marketing. 

Another example of where you are locked into one method of update, you get what they sell you. Just hoping that the next vehicle that I get will have apple/android integration so I can just use the map program on my phone. 

I had that same issue from Acura. Bought the DVD for $149 (normally $199) with free shipping (woohoo!) after 2 years hoping to see all the new roads being built in the area. Unfortunately there was almost no change in the map, just the POI and a fix for daylight savings time. Meanwhile my wife used a little garmin unit that I bought $99 updates for life and they updated quarterly. Was not happy. They said that they did make map updates, it was just not in my area.

I still have the same SD card that was in the car when I purchased so I am hoping that the A7 version will be better, but I am going to wait a bit for the price to come down to the $50-$75 range. Still surprised that they eventually get down to that price. I guess that there is a huge mark up from the dealers and the OEM lists that same price when direct marketing. 

Another example of where you are locked into one method of update, you get what they sell you. Just hoping that the next vehicle that I get will have apple/android integration so I can just use the map program on my phone. 

Just hoping that the next vehicle that I get will have apple/android integration so I can just use the map program on my phone.  <--- this.

Android Auto coming to Ford has me on the cusp of possibly trading up to a 2017 Fusion Energi.  I just don't want even more car payments. :spend:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The SD card does not give new NAV features - it just updates the database with the newest maps and information. Updates would come in the form of an update to the NAV, which can be found on the Ford Owner site. I updated my C-Max a couple of months ago. You download a file to a USB stick, put the stick in the car, and the system upgrades.

Did you pay for the download?

Did you pay for the download?

There are 2 topics in this thread. The map update on an SD Card which you would have to pay for, and a SYNC update (if available) that you would download and install (free).

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/software-updates/how-to-install-sync-with-myford-touch-updates-in-your-vehicle.html?year=2013&model=Fusion%20Energi&sync=myTouch