Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Trunk pops back open

Does anyone else have this issue or know what would cause this?  Many times when I shut the trunk, it pops back open and the horn does the double honk.  Would not having a key fob in the area of the trunk when closing be the issue?  I'm wondering if the car thinks the key may be inside the trunk and pops back open onetime, but it does allow you to shut right away after it happens.

Is the car already locked? Is it possible that the issue is with the latch? If we push down on the trunk from one side it makes a different sound versus pushing down dead center to close it. This is due to the latch angle.

It happens when the car is locked, but it also happens if I'm in the car and I pop the trunk for my son to grab his gear and he will shut it and it happens.  I was blaming him for not being centered, but it has happened to me being dead center, but only when I don't have the key with me.  I don't think it has happened when I have had the key with me, but I will need to pay more attention to that.  Some times I will pop the trunk, lock the doors, go into work and drop my stuff including the keys and go back to car and pull out the L1 from the trunk, plug in and then shut the trunk and it happens.  Not all the time, but maybe when it hasn't I still had my key. 

It happens when the car is locked, but it also happens if I'm in the car and I pop the trunk for my son to grab his gear and he will shut it and it happens.  I was blaming him for not being centered, but it has happened to me being dead center, but only when I don't have the key with me.  I don't think it has happened when I have had the key with me, but I will need to pay more attention to that.  Some times I will pop the trunk, lock the doors, go into work and drop my stuff including the keys and go back to car and pull out the L1 from the trunk, plug in and then shut the trunk and it happens.  Not all the time, but maybe when it hasn't I still had my key. 

I had this  happen on my C-Max, for a stupid reason. The rubber gasket that goes around the edges of the rear had become twisted, so it was causing resistance to closing. It finally got so twisted that I couldn't close it at all after I popped i open, at which point I found the twist. I straightened it out and everything is fine. Just a thought.

If you're getting a double honk and the trunk pops open again, the car thinks the fob is somewhere inside the car or the trunk.  The override is to just close it a second time and then it'll leave you alone.

I've never locked my keys in the car so I've never tested it.  I have gotten out without turning it off before, and if you close the door, it'll double honk at you.

If you're getting a double honk and the trunk pops open again, the car thinks the fob is somewhere inside the car or the trunk.  The override is to just close it a second time and then it'll leave you alone.

I've never locked my keys in the car so I've never tested it.  I have gotten out without turning it off before, and if you close the door, it'll double honk at you.

Which is what I figured was going on.  It is just a bummer when it happens at an hour where you don't like your horn going off.  I will need to keep the fob on me and see if it happens again.

Which is what I figured was going on.  It is just a bummer when it happens at an hour where you don't like your horn going off.  I will need to keep the fob on me and see if it happens again.

That should be the answer. If the fob is inside or thinks it is, and you close something...thats what happens. Its a safety feature and other cars will have it or something like it per a lawsuit with keyless ignitions