Ford Fusion Energi Forum

L2 EVSEs - Where are we?

flyingcheesehead

I first looked into L2 EVSEs when I first bought my Energi nearly a year ago, but somehow I haven't heard of much in the way of new developments. Have any new ones come out in the last year or so?

I'm interested in the following features:

* Automatic collection/logging of power usage data

* Any other available "smart" features

* Possibility of upgrading to a two-car setup in a few years when I (hopefully) have another PHEV/BEV.

So far, I've looked at the Clipper Creek HCS-40P, the JuiceBox, and the OpenEVSE. Only the JuiceBox seems to offer data logging and access, and I haven't seen anything remotely affordable that can do two cars.

The AeroVironment stuff seems to be awfully expensive.

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just buy the "cheap" LCS-20P from Clipper Creek and resign myself to buying a second one or selling and buying a new one when one comes out with the specs I want... :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just buy the "cheap" LCS-20P from Clipper Creek and resign myself to buying a second one or selling and buying a new one when one comes out with the specs I want... :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

We have the HCS-40 for our two cars. We never really need to charge both cars at the same time. If we did for some reason, we just take one across the street to the free ChargePoint station at the grocery store across the street from our apartment.

The Focus Electric doesn't need to be charged every day. It is always plugged in Thursday & Friday nights since we drive the most miles on Fridays & Saturdays. During the rest of the week it doesn't get driven enough to need to be charged nightly. Thus the Fusion can be plugged in overnight as needed.

If you get a BEV in addition to your Energi, I imagine that you'd find something similar. I would recommend future proofing by getting an EVSE that can do at least 6.6 kW. If you think a Tesla might be in your future then I'd consider getting an EVSE that is even more powerful. I think a Tesla can take 10 or 20 kW in home charging... But murphy would be in a better position to answer that...

JuiceBox seems like the best for data logging. I wish we had one.

Edited by Hybridbear

We have the HCS-40 for our two cars. We never really need to charge both cars at the same time. If we did for some reason, we just take one across the street to the free ChargePoint station at the grocery store across the street from our apartment.

The Focus Electric doesn't need to be charged every day. It is always plugged in Thursday & Friday nights since we drive the most miles on Fridays & Saturdays. During the rest of the week it doesn't get driven enough to need to be charged nightly. Thus the Fusion can be plugged in overnight as needed.

If you get a BEV in addition to your Energi, I imagine that you'd find something similar. I would recommend future proofing by getting an EVSE that can do at least 6.6 kW. If you think a Tesla might be in your future then I'd consider getting an EVSE that is even more powerful. I think a Tesla can take 10 or 20 kW in home charging... But murphy would be in a better position to answer that...

JuiceBox seems like the best for data logging. I wish we had one.

I don't think the Tesla needs an EVSE.  It comes with a Universal Mobile Connector that can be plugged into any 240 outlet.  My buddy in CA just plugs his into the 240 wall outlet.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/universal-mobile-connector-adapters

Edited by JATR4

Speaking of.  What is the status with this?  "The ChargePoint Home will be available mid-year 2015. ChargePoint hasn't yet announced pricing."

A few weeks ago I got the pricing and questionnaire..sadly, I cant find it, but for the 25ft cord, 30A will be 799. The 12 ft, 15A will be 499 or something like that... The email still had it a few weeks away from ordering it.