Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My A/C is on!!

troylikesbikes

So it has been warm in the garage as of late, 90F or so, and I was charging it during the day today, and I walk out into the garage and lo and behold, the car sounds like it is running! It isn't, but some big fan is certainly running under the hood, I figure it had something to do with cooling the battery after fully charged. Turns out, it was running a big cooling fan, but it was running the fan so it could turn on the A/C. The car was crispy cool inside, and darned if I told it to do that!!

The car is pulling the full 1300W to do this, so I assume it is pulling from the HVB, and as it depletes a little, it charges from the wall plug, the charging ring is out, and the car is fully charged a couple hours ago. But it apparently needs to cool itself, so it did!!

Quite interesting. Does it warm itself in the winter as well? 

And what happens if I didn't leave it plugged in afterwards? It would just sit in the garage and the HVB would bake in its own heat?

Have you set GO Times on MFM?  I use them regularly at the predictable scheduled times, but sometimes forget to remove them after an ad-hoc session and will walk out to the garage to task out the trash or something, and the HVAC is running -- and then I check and it's a GO Time I set the previous week that is running on schedule again.

The Fusion Energi does not have active thermal management for the HVB, only passive thermal management. It can only take ambient air & circulate it through the HVB compartment, it cannot actively cool that air while charging. This post describes the cooling behavior per the Workshop Manual. This post shows the intake tubes used for cooling the HVB.

It can only take ambient air & circulate it through the HVB compartment, it cannot actively cool that air while charging. This post describes the cooling behavior per the Workshop Manual. This post shows the intake tubes used for cooling the HVB.

Right, but that's fan activity that occurs in the rear of the car, I hear it many days when I get home in the afternoon with the HVB fan running even after I turn the car off (and not yet plugged in).  I think the OP mentioned the fans or some type of HVAC running in the front part of the car, which made me think it would have to be GO Times.

Right, but that's fan activity that occurs in the rear of the car, I hear it many days when I get home in the afternoon with the HVB fan running even after I turn the car off (and not yet plugged in).  I think the OP mentioned the fans or some type of HVAC running in the front part of the car, which made me think it would have to be GO Times.

I agree. That's why I provided links to the technical details about how the car cools the HVB to show that what he described could not have possibly been HVB cooling.

So it has been warm in the garage as of late, 90F or so, and I was charging it during the day today, and I walk out into the garage and lo and behold, the car sounds like it is running! It isn't, but some big fan is certainly running under the hood, I figure it had something to do with cooling the battery after fully charged. Turns out, it was running a big cooling fan, but it was running the fan so it could turn on the A/C. The car was crispy cool inside, and darned if I told it to do that!!

The car is pulling the full 1300W to do this, so I assume it is pulling from the HVB, and as it depletes a little, it charges from the wall plug, the charging ring is out, and the car is fully charged a couple hours ago. But it apparently needs to cool itself, so it did!!

Quite interesting. Does it warm itself in the winter as well? 

And what happens if I didn't leave it plugged in afterwards? It would just sit in the garage and the HVB would bake in its own heat?

I'm always shocked when my C-Max Energi is in EV mode and the A/C is on - the fan is so loud it sounds like I have the ICE running.

Concur with other posts - check your GO times and make sure it is not set to a temperature.

According to MFM, I have no, I repeat, NO, Go Times set.

And I am aware of the fan running in the rear of the car to cool the HVB, that happens quite often and I researched around here to figure out what it was.

If there some place else I can check possible GO times that wouldn't be picked up by the app? In the car itself perhaps?

GO times are listed in the car and can be created / deleted there.

They certainly are. After finding an excuse to sit alone in the car for 10 minutes clicking various buttons, I discovered that indeed, the GO settings were on in the car. Even more amusing, as an experiment I changed them there, and when I refreshed my MFM, they suddenly appeared there as well. I erased everything in the car, confirmed it erased on the MFM as well, and hopefully that solves the problem. Also cured a problem I had been having on the weekends, for the life of me the car would obey the weekday value charging, but not the weekend. Turns out, it appears to have been following the one listed on the car. But when it came to weekdays, it was following the one on the MFM. Erased all of those and reset them, so that issue on weekends should clear up as well.

As a result of all this, the car is now responding to the MFM much better, I can plug it in and use the Value Charging yes/no slider on the MFM to put some juice in, turn off and wait till morning, and then top the car off for the last 2 hours of charge in the morning, to minimize the time it is at maximum charge.

Glad you got it worked out. We've had some sporadic issues with Go Times where we erase them on MFM but they don't erase in the car. I've found that telling the car to Charge Now when arriving home doesn't always update in MFM to show that the Home Value Charge Profile was changed to "Charge Now", even though the car does charge right away.