Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2015 Energi Titanium ENGINE BLEW AT 10K miles

Wishboneusmc@gmail.com

Has anyone else had engine issues? The other day I was driving on the highway in normal conditions when my car started making funny noises followed by the check engine light. The car is 9 months old and has about 10,000 miles on it. I had it towed to the dealership where it has been since thursday. The only thing they can tell me is that it will need a new motor and that there is oil EVERYWHERE. They said they are still trying to determine the cause and to see if it was a manufacturer defect or neglect. Has anyone else had a similar issue??? I have a feeling that I will be without a car for a LONG time:/

You're the first case I know of that had any kind of ICE issue (internal combustion engine).  We've had a variety of concerns come through the forum such as chaffed wiring, dead 12V batteries, and one individual chewed through 3 transmissions.

There is no way your case would be neglect.  It's too new, too few miles, and unless you intentionally drained the oil and then ran it until it cooked itself (which we know isn't the case since they said oil is everywhere), it'll be a manufacturer replacement.

I would assume you'll be without a car for maybe a month, depending on how long it takes them to get the new ICE and then install it.

I'm sure Ford is going to take a very close look at the ICE, since most of them are virtually bulletproof in the sense of reliability.  If they find a weak point or potential for failure on other vehicles with that ICE, they may actually issue a recall depending on the part that failed.  Yours is a very serious case to Ford and they're going to research the heck out of it.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.  I trust your dealer will get you squared away and taken care of, and will get you back on the road as quick as they can.  I hope yours will be the first and only case we hear about for a failed ICE.

I don't see how it could possibly be neglect.  The first oil change is at 20,000 miles or 2 years whichever comes first.   My ICE usually runs from late fall until early spring.  The rest of the year I run electric only.  There is one possibility of neglect that I just thought of.  If the car is run mostly electric the gasoline can get stale.  In that case a fuel stabilizer is supposed to be added to the fuel tank.  I doubt that is the case since it would be difficult to drive 10,000 miles in 9 months in 21 mile increments (electric only).

Make sure they don't feed you the nonsense that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles.

Has anyone else had engine issues? The other day I was driving on the highway in normal conditions when my car started making funny noises followed by the check engine light. The car is 9 months old and has about 10,000 miles on it. I had it towed to the dealership where it has been since thursday. The only thing they can tell me is that it will need a new motor and that there is oil EVERYWHERE. They said they are still trying to determine the cause and to see if it was a manufacturer defect or neglect. Has anyone else had a similar issue??? I have a feeling that I will be without a car for a LONG time:/

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. I'd recommend contacting username FordService via private message to get some additional assistance.

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. I'd recommend contacting username FordService via private message to get some additional assistance.

Yes and they will need your VIN and the info about the dealership it is at so include that in your PM.

Thanks, guys!

Thank you all for the help! I will surly keep you all posted as things unfold this week... as far as private messaging the user "ford service", does that person work for Ford?

I sure do! I got your PM, Wishbone. :)

Meagan

Edited by FordService

• 2 weeks later...

Any news? Do they know what caused the issue?

**UPDATE** So Ford is off the hook, for now at least... I had the oil changed at Walmart about 3k ago (yes, I know I'm stupid) turns out they used pliers instead of a strap wrench to install the filter.. there was a nice micro crack that ford found where they squeezed with the pliers... oil change was July 18th, engine failure was September 16th... they said it took such a long time because I mostly used electric... I asked fordo why the low oil indicator light never came on, they said the energi model does not have onr... do you believe that?!?

**UPDATE** So Ford is off the hook, for now at least... I had the oil changed at Walmart about 3k ago (yes, I know I'm stupid) turns out they used pliers instead of a strap wrench to install the filter.. there was a nice micro crack that ford found where they squeezed with the pliers... oil change was July 18th, engine failure was September 16th... they said it took such a long time because I mostly used electric... I asked fordo why the low oil indicator light never came on, they said the energi model does not have onr... do you believe that?!?

Yes and no.  It doesn't have a separate lamp but it does have a telltale.  The bottom left column of page 8 in the Owner's manual for my 2013 Energi shows the Engine Oil telltale.  It's described on page 81.

What does Walmart have to say about this? The car should have a low oil pressure light, as described in the OM.

Yes and no.  It doesn't have a separate lamp but it does have a telltale.  The bottom left column of page 8 in the Owner's manual for my 2013 Energi shows the Engine Oil telltale.  It's described on page 81.

That is interesting. On my 2014 C-Max there is definitely a Low Oil warning light.

However, if the oil filter failed entirely, it would empty the oil quickly and I think the light would not have time to come on before the engine was toast.

Usually does.  Once oil pressure is gone, you need to shut the car off immediately because at that point, it is starved for lubrication.

Still, with all the technology they have nowadays and safetys put in, and things that help protect the car... why wouldn't Ford pop a warning saying, "Engine Disabled due to low oil, stop immediately" or something to keep something like that from happening?

Either way, looks like you'll be filing a claim with Walmart.

I'm starting to think that the underbody shield for aerodynamics is a bad idea.  It also seems to prevent telltale signs that there s a problem with fluids.