Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2015 Energi Titanium ENGINE BLEW AT 10K miles

Wishboneusmc@gmail.com

There are a lot of people here who change it early and don't follow the service interval that the car says.  *shrug* 

There are also owner's who follow the service interval such as the extended tire rotation mileage and end up with cupped or worn tires.  Doing preventive maintenance early isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I'd rather do 3 or 4 extra tire rotations than have worn or noisy tires that could have been prevented.  I  plan on doing a tire rotation every 5000 miles.  Haven't decided yet if I will also do the oil change every 5000 miles.  I do know there is NO WAY I will try for 2 years or 20000 miles before an oil and filter  change  :2thumbs:

I am interested to see what Walmart does here.  We had a shopping cart do 1000 dollars worth of damage on our previous FFH and they refused to fix the car.  Our insurance ponied up.  I was livid but what can you do.  This is different, I doubt his insurance will pay for this, and I would be willing to bet Walmart balks at fixing this......

I hope I am wrong.  Wishbone, make sure you keep us posted brother, I tried to stop shopping there, but in our part of the country, it is difficult ..... 

**UPDATE** So Ford is off the hook, for now at least... I had the oil changed at Walmart about 3k ago (yes, I know I'm stupid) turns out they used pliers instead of a strap wrench to install the filter.. there was a nice micro crack that ford found where they squeezed with the pliers... oil change was July 18th, engine failure was September 16th... they said it took such a long time because I mostly used electric... I asked fordo why the low oil indicator light never came on, they said the energi model does not have onr... do you believe that?!?

Did you end up getting the engine replaced? I know that my grandfather got a new engine before. Jiffy Lube forgot to put the plug back in and the engine blew up on the car. I hope you get the car back and running soon.

There are also owner's who follow the service interval such as the extended tire rotation mileage and end up with cupped or worn tires.  Doing preventive maintenance early isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I'd rather do 3 or 4 extra tire rotations than have worn or noisy tires that could have been prevented.  I  plan on doing a tire rotation every 5000 miles.  Haven't decided yet if I will also do the oil change every 5000 miles.  I do know there is NO WAY I will try for 2 years or 20000 miles before an oil and filter  change  :2thumbs:

Another reason- oil change and tire rotates are FREE so why wait....I get 4/2 a year, and I get the oil changed between 5-8k and tires twice a year...

Another reason- oil change and tire rotates are FREE so why wait....I get 4/2 a year, and I get the oil changed between 5-8k and tires twice a year...

Oil changes and rotates are most certainly not free unless you have some kind of maintenance plan - which means you pre paid for those services.

They offered me a maintenance plan and I informed them that the oil change interval was 20K, which meant that I would be getting only one "free" oil change during my lease. No thanks.

Some tire dealers will rotate tires for free. I use an independent shop that charges 5 bucks a tire.

**UPDATE**

So I think last update I told you all that ford WON'T cover the blown motor because they found that the last person to change the oil (walmart) installed the filter using a wrench! You can actually see the indent marks where they squezzed, this is mind blowing in itself considering they used a fram filter which can be tightened by hand. In any regard, they put a small crack in the filter. I filed a claim with walmart... long story short, they are REFUSING to take responsibility. They sighted the reasons that I got the oil changed in July 18th, but did not have failure until September 16th. I explained to them what ford told me was that it is an electric vehicle and I typically you drive less than 10 miles per day, all electric... they also said that the oil tech claims he NEVER uses a wrench to put on a filter... of course he is going to say that! Anyway so now it's been nearly a month and now I'm waiting on my insurance company to see if they will cover it... will keep all posted

Sounds like a lawsuit to me.  Ford has provided you with evidence that the labor was done improperly, and that all the oil drained out of the motor through a crack in the filter, which was installed by a Walmart technician.  Since the motor doesn't run much, it took some time for all the oil to finally leave the motor.  If the crack was small enough, it probably only leaked when there was oil pressure, which is when the motor was running.

I hate Walmart.  I refuse to shop there despite their 'low' prices. 

I'm a big believer in getting that first oil change done sooner than later.  That said, the oil filter will take anything harmful out of the oil before it gets anywhere important.

Now tires...  I had plans to rotate them.  I even looked for jacking and jack stand points and didn't find them.  I'm now within spitting distance of 40k and boy those tires could have used a rotation or two.  :whistling:

I guess I got so used to getting a couple thousand miles out of a set of Boss 302 Ultra High Perf tires that I didn't worry about the tires.  They make a little bit of NVH, but it's the lack of traction that has me about to log into tire rack and get me some new Michelin Energy Saver A/S 225 50 17's on the front.  On the bright side, the backs just need a new balance I'm sure.  :shrug:

Sounds like a lawsuit to me.  Ford has provided you with evidence that the labor was done improperly, and that all the oil drained out of the motor through a crack in the filter, which was installed by a Walmart technician.  Since the motor doesn't run much, it took some time for all the oil to finally leave the motor.  If the crack was small enough, it probably only leaked when there was oil pressure, which is when the motor was running.

I hate Walmart.  I refuse to shop there despite their 'low' prices. 

I was thinking the same thing, on all counts.  :judge:

**UPDATE**

So I think last update I told you all that ford WON'T cover the blown motor because they found that the last person to change the oil (walmart) installed the filter using a wrench! You can actually see the indent marks where they squezzed, this is mind blowing in itself considering they used a fram filter which can be tightened by hand. In any regard, they put a small crack in the filter. I filed a claim with walmart... long story short, they are REFUSING to take responsibility. They sighted the reasons that I got the oil changed in July 18th, but did not have failure until September 16th. I explained to them what ford told me was that it is an electric vehicle and I typically you drive less than 10 miles per day, all electric... they also said that the oil tech claims he NEVER uses a wrench to put on a filter... of course he is going to say that! Anyway so now it's been nearly a month and now I'm waiting on my insurance company to see if they will cover it... will keep all posted

I am not surprised about the decision from Walmart. Have you tried the corporate office? I was reading this post  from another Walmart victim and it seems to be a common thing for Walmart to mess up oil changes (and not pay up). Here is the link for Walmart Corporate just in case you want to go up the ladder  :detective: .

If all else fails and you need an engine there is one for $1,329.00 on eBay or this engine . They should work just need the U in the 8th digit of the VIN (My Energi has the U so you should be good to go). Also, if you are in a decent size city you may find a shop that works on hybrids to drop it in for you. 

Edited by FusionNAZ

If all else fails and you need an engine there is one for $1,329.00 on eBay

Caveat emptor. They have a compatibility checker down in the description, and when I put mine in, the result was:

"This part is not compatible with 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium Sedan 4-Door 2.0L 1999CC 122Cu. In. l4 ELECTRIC/GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated."

Caveat emptor. They have a compatibility checker down in the description, and when I put mine in, the result was:

"This part is not compatible with 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium Sedan 4-Door 2.0L 1999CC 122Cu. In. l4 ELECTRIC/GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated."

It should be the same engine since the VIN has a U in the 8th place (Per eBay listing). From what I was seeing is that the salvage place only listed 4 cars being compatible (If I have a titanium trim it will not match up). The second engine  (engine link) came from a C-Max (plug in hybrid) with the same situation. Correct me if I am wrong but the C-Max is only a plug in hybrid with the same drive-line. Most people who pull engines at the wreckers do not understand hybrids let alone plug-in's. Its a  bummer that the Mexican made engine is so obtuse that I did not have luck finding a engine "model" number. For example if I wanted an engine for a 1998 Lexus LS400 I could search 1UZ-FE and so on.

Then again a used engine could be more of a pain than its worth for a multitude of reasons. First finding someone who would be willing to touch a hybrid plug-in and then the logistics of getting everything coordinated with shipping condition miles and so on. Due diligence is key since it is a "buyer beware" situation outside the warranty zone. Then again with some preliminary research and coordination one can save a substantial amount of money if they have to foot the bill.

Either way I am rooting for you that one of those large corporations either pay's for or give an allowance on a new engine.

Edited by FusionNAZ

Tweeted @Walmart about a dozen negative tweets in a 15 minute period... even Tweeted pictures of the improperly installed oil filter... amazingly I woke up this morning from a tweet back from Walmart asking me to contact them at an email address they provided with my contact info and details of the damage... this could be good:)

Edited by Wishboneusmc@gmail.com

Tweeted @Walmart about a dozen negative tweets in a 15 minute period... even Tweeted pictures of the improperly installed oil filter... amazingly I woke up this morning from a tweet back from Walmart asking me to contact them at an email address they provided with my contact info and details of the damage... this could be good:)

I am glad to hear that someone listened and responded to your tweet. Today social media is like a modern day protest sign. I have my fingers crossed Wishbone for you getting a new engine or reimbursed. It really is a hard case for them to press since the car is basically new and had no issues. I really do not know how they can deny the damage if you have proof (photos). The "it did not happen immediately" is extremely weak argument hedging on ignorance. Of course most people do not know or understand how a plug-in car works.  Your experience has me thinking about the next oil change and I may just do it myself with full synthetic oil. As long as I have proof of the maintenance Ford will honor the extended warranty on the car.

• 2 months later...

Any updates from WIshbone??

Based on past instances of something like this or with someone trying to get a lemon law buyback processed, when the owner has to get to the point of using an attorney for assistance they will often get instructed by the attorney to not post anything further about their situation online, and for good reason.  If this is the case, hopefully we will hear more details once things get resolved if the owner is allowed to disclose details.

Based on past instances of something like this or with someone trying to get a lemon law buyback processed, when the owner has to get to the point of using an attorney for assistance they will often get instructed by the attorney to not post anything further about their situation online, and for good reason.  If this is the case, hopefully we will hear more details once things get resolved if the owner is allowed to disclose details.

To add to Jeff's comment, some have come back to report that they were required to sign an NDA as part of the settlement & thus they cannot share what ended up happening. It's quite annoying when we're curious.

Edited by Hybridbear

Sorry for the delay in response. Long story short Ford inspected the vehicle and determined that when I had my oil changed by walmart, they used a pair of grips to install the filter which caused a small micro crack in the filter. I had the oil changed mid july, but did not experience engine failure until Sept 16th. Ford said this was due to me using the electric motor a lot which caused the oil to leak out slower. After an investigation Walmart refused to accept liability. They couldn't understand how it took so long for the engine to fail after they worked on the car. I was forced to file a claim with my insurance which thankfully covered the costs.