Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Upgrading to L2

storksb

Just bit the bullet and decided to move up to a Level 2 EVSE.  Pricing was a strong consideration but so was future proofing my investment as I plan on moving to a BEV after turn in the Energi at the end of the lease. Also my wife is looking at moving on from her scandal ridden VW TDI Jetta, though she did dislike it before the Emissions scandal broke she dislikes it even more now, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was to get a PHEV or BEV in the next 9 - 12 months, so being able to charge two cars quickly is a must.

Not having a 208/240V outlet in the garage I need to invest in not only the EVSE but also the wiring. Thankfully I had just enough capacity on my electrical panel to support a 50 amp circuit so I decide to go with an EVSE that could support 30Amps plus.

My shortlist of EVSE's was quickly reduced to 2, the Juicebox Pro and the Clippercreek HCS-40P.  I like the rich feature set of the Juicebox, wifi, data logging etc but was wary on two fronts, UL or equivalent certification and customer service. My enquiry to them yesterday about UL Cert (I believe that they are actively seeking UL certification) and expected timeframe for them to acquire it  has still not been answered 24 hours later, which I think for a sales enquiry is longer than should be expected. In contrast I emailed Clippercreek today and within 45 minutes had answers to the two questions I posed to them.

Add to this the 1 year warranty for Juice Box and 3 year for Clippercreek I decided to go with the HCS-40P.

Hope to have it arrive by the end of next week, just in time  as the electrician is scheduled to do the install on Thursday.

storksb

The battery is rated at 7.6 kWh.  Mine charges in 2:05 hours at 240 volts so the charge power has to be 3.8 kW.  It is not a linear charge.  It tapers off as it nears the end of charge.

Have you confirmed this with FORScan or through another method? We achieve a 2 hour recharge time with only 207-208 V at home.

At 208V input it is. At 240V it is 3.8kW. The key is it will draw 16 amps until it's full enough to taper the current down.

Are you sure? I think the charge limit is 3.3 kW by the onboard charger.

But charging is only 82% efficient so 16A * 240V * 0.82 = 3.15 kW to the battery

82% is the total efficiency, combining the losses charging the battery, as well as the losses extracting the power from the battery.

Besides, that's now how chargers in cars are rated, they are rated as the amount they draw from the wall.

82% is the total efficiency, combining the losses charging the battery, as well as the losses extracting the power from the battery.

Besides, that's now how chargers in cars are rated, they are rated as the amount they draw from the wall.

82% does not include "extracting the power from the battery", its only getting power into the battery

It does include both the the efficiency of the the AC to DC conversion as well as the losses due to current in the battery but the AC to DC converter losses are much greater.  With a 120V charger the overall efficiency is 0.72 with exactly the same batteries.

The external charger can be rated higher but the in car electronics ultimately limits the kW charge rate.

Pretty sure. My clamp-on meter showed the car drawing 16A at 240V. The on-board charger seems to think so too:

charge.png

BAT_CHARG_PWR is the "Available Battery Charger Input Power" which can be provided by the Level 2 EVSE to the car.  It is not the power being consumed by the charger.  I have a very accurate meter attached to the Level 2 EVSE which shows the power being consumed to be about 3430 watts.  About 100 of those watts are consumed by the car's fans and internal electronics.  The rest goes to the car's internal charger.  Generally, the car's internal charger consumes 14 amps of current for the HVB. 

Edited by larryh

BAT_CHARG_PWR is the "Available Battery Charger Input Power" which can be provided by the Level 2 EVSE to the car.  It is not the power being consumed by the charger.  I have a very accurate meter attached to the Level 2 EVSE which shows the power being consumed to be about 3430 watts.  About 100 of those watts are consumed by the car's fans and internal electronics.  The rest goes to the car's internal charger.  Generally, the car's internal charger provides 14 amps of current to the HVB. 

My EVSE can provide 5750 watts, so your first statement doesn't seem accurate.

At what voltage are you reading 3430 watts?

It seems unlikely that Ford would specify the power to the HVB, people think about how much power from the wall.

The car and the EVSE negotiate the maximum power that the car can draw from the EVSE.  3850 watts is the negotiated maximum power that the EVSE will provide to the car.  However, the car does not actually draw that much power from the EVSE.  The actual power consumed by my EVSE is about 3430 watts at 240 volts.  You can see the power provided to the HVB by monitoring the following current and voltage PIDs:

BAT_CHARG_OUT_V Battery Charger Output Voltage
BAT_OPC_MEAS High Voltage Battery Charger Output Current - Measured

The power consumed by the on-board charger can be observed with:

BAT_CHARG_INP Battery Charger Input Voltage
BAT_CHR_IN_CUR Battery Charger Input Current

Edited by larryh

• 3 weeks later...