Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Another new 2013 Energi owner..., question

carstocks2

This is my first post, and I'm a newer proud owner of a 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium with 24k miles. I bought the car at a Ford dealer CPO ed about 5 weeks ago. I love the car and am getting better and better at increasing its efficiency ( more like my driving it more efficiently i guess) everyday.

The one issue I'm having lately is that after a full charge, my dash shows that the battery is only charging to 95%. When I first got the car, it was ALWAYS 100% after a charge with a few exceptions showing 99%.

My driving conditions haven't changed ( I live in south Florida and it's still close to 90 degrees everyday). Any ideas?

Thanks for you're help

Mike

This is my first post, and I'm a newer proud owner of a 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium with 24k miles. I bought the car at a Ford dealer CPO ed about 5 weeks ago. I love the car and am getting better and better at increasing its efficiency ( more like my driving it more efficiently i guess) everyday.

The one issue I'm having lately is that after a full charge, my dash shows that the battery is only charging to 95%. When I first got the car, it was ALWAYS 100% after a charge with a few exceptions showing 99%.

My driving conditions haven't changed ( I live in south Florida and it's still close to 90 degrees everyday). Any ideas?

Thanks for you're help

Mike

Are you referring to the percentage displayed on the MFT leaf screen & on MyFord Mobile?

On my 2015 when I press the EV button to select EV Later it will show what SoC % will be preserved. This is not necessary what the SoC currently is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the car will not preserve anything over 95%. You need to look at the SoC reading on the MFT center display. Also, the preserved % acts more like a target value than a hard value with ranges of approximately -6 to +2%. So if you're dash says 95% is preserved the actual SoC will float between 89-97%. This why repeated start/stop cycles of the vehicle will likely gradually deplete the HVB even if you do immediately switch to EV Later mode every time. 

Edited by bdginmo

On my 2015 when I press the EV button to select EV Later it will show what SoC % will be preserved. This is not necessary what the SoC currently is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the car will not preserve anything over 95%.

That's what I'm thinking but I wanted to see a reply from others first.  As a test this morning, I left my house and drove downhill for 0.9 mile out of my neighborhood and light on the brakes as normal going down the hill and the regen showing on the dash, so that should be as full as the HVB can get.  Once at the bottom of the hill I changed to EV-later and the percent stored as shown on the dash was 95%.

If you read the left screen when you select EV Later it says that 95% is being preserved.  And it is correct that every time the car is started EV Later has to be selected again.  If there are many stops in a trip the HVB will gradually be depleted.  The center screen is the only place to see the HVB SOC in %.  It's on the screen where GO times are entered.

If you read the left screen when you select EV Later it says that 95% is being preserved.  And it is correct that every time the car is started EV Later has to be selected again.  If there are many stops in a trip the HVB will gradually be depleted.  The center screen is the only place to see the HVB SOC in %.  It's on the screen where GO times are entered.

I'm keeping track of the costs on my car, in case it becomes cost effective to switch back to hybrid only (not likely, but who knows). Anyway, one thing I realize is that in EV Later mode, the portion of the HVB that is reserved will be used up and recharged. But when you stop the car and then restart it, the car will be in EV Auto, and when you go back into EV Later, it again reserves the full abount of "hybrid" battery size. This means that I will gradually use up the HVB when driving hybrid only. I will probably charge once a week if that occurs, maybe once every two weeks.

The amount the HVB goes down will vary depending upon how much of the "Hybrid reserve" is used during that trip. My C-Max tends to keep the amount around 50% or less with my driving style. I know this from those times when I run out of HVB and have to drive hybrid only until I can recharge.

FWIW, my hybrid only mileage is generally in the low 50s when the engine is warm.

I'll have to check the center screen but I know I've seem 100% show up on my dashboard when I first bought the car. Maybe in a different screen but I have yet to use the center screen to monitor any battery / hybrid anything. Thanks so much for the info though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for you're help

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Have you been to your dealer, or had this resolved since your last post? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan