Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Portable L1/L2 combo EVSE

flyingcheesehead

Right when I thought I had my future charging strategy figured out...

I like the idea of having a portable EVSE that has both L1 and L2 capability. I was only aware of the AeroVironment TurboCord Dual, which does the trick but feels insanely expensive ($599).

Then, I came across this portable L1/L2 EVSE from the Electric Vehicle Institute:

http://www.amazon.com/EVI-Portable-Charger-SMART-screen/dp/B00VIKM62Q/ref=sr_1_1?m=AXNGU9GHN8L1N&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1444882314&sr=1-1

All 5-star reviews on Amazon, it has a screen with current and cumulative charging info, and it's $200 cheaper than the TurboCord Dual. Sounds like a real winner, so why haven't I heard of it before?

Anyone have any experience with these?

No experience with it but it does interesting. Limited to 16A at 240V but more than enough for the FFE. Have you checked the CMAX Energy forum to see if anyone there has experience with this?

I haven't checked there 'cuz I don't really want to sign up for yet another forum, but some Googling found a thread on it on the GM-Volt.com forum. There were a lot of naysayers who didn't have one, and a few happy customers who did. 

Maybe I'll get one of these and use it at home for a while and get the JuiceBox Pro later...