Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Trade in my 2012 Acura TL for a 2013-2015 Ford Energi???

mguts78

Hello everyone-

I currently own an 2012 Acura TL Advance with around 62k miles on it.  I am looking to get some thoughts from the group on if I should trade this in for a Fusion Energi.  I am currently looking at two different Energi's here in my area.  Please let me know which Fusion you would choose below.  Also if you would trade in my car for one of them knowing I would be about 3k upside down on my current car.  One other fact is that I live about 15 miles from work and would be able to easily charge the car at home and at work.  Thanks for any thoughts!

Option 1:  2013 Silver Ford Energi Titanium with about 15000 miles and black leather seats.  For this version it is fairly basic (no BLIS, etc.)  but has the Nav, heated seats.  Dealership cost today is around $21,000.  I do not like the wheels on this one so I would be spending around $1500 for new ones.

Option 2: 2015 Black Ford Energi Titanium with about 15000 miles and tan leather seats.  This one is fully loaded with every option available (heated/cooled seats, BLIS, Lane Departure, heated steering wheel, etc.) Dealership cost today is $24999.  Wheels on this one are better than the 2013 but not great.  I would probably replace them but not right away.

Thanks-

Hello everyone-

I currently own an 2012 Acura TL Advance with around 62k miles on it.  I am looking to get some thoughts from the group on if I should trade this in for a Fusion Energi.  I am currently looking at two different Energi's here in my area.  Please let me know which Fusion you would choose below.  Also if you would trade in my car for one of them knowing I would be about 3k upside down on my current car.  One other fact is that I live about 15 miles from work and would be able to easily charge the car at home and at work.  Thanks for any thoughts!

Option 1:  2013 Silver Ford Energi Titanium with about 15000 miles and black leather seats.  For this version it is fairly basic (no BLIS, etc.)  but has the Nav, heated seats.  Dealership cost today is around $21,000.  I do not like the wheels on this one so I would be spending around $1500 for new ones.

Option 2: 2015 Black Ford Energi Titanium with about 15000 miles and tan leather seats.  This one is fully loaded with every option available (heated/cooled seats, BLIS, Lane Departure, heated steering wheel, etc.) Dealership cost today is $24999.  Wheels on this one are better than the 2013 but not great.  I would probably replace them but not right away.

Thanks-

Only you can decide what's worthwhile WRT your current car. FWIW, I figure I save about $120/month on gas costs compared to my previous ride (Volvo S60 T5, ~27 mpg average) after figuring in the extra cost of electricity at home. Of course, YMMV.

I do really like the Fusion Energi. The engineering is superb. Electric driving is excellent, and I hope that when the lease ends on my 2015 Energi there'll be something purely electric available that fits my needs.

I would go with option 2 myself, if for nothing else than the heated steering wheel. Mine has that, and it is going on my list of must-have features for my future cars. Since you're in Minnesota, you'll definitely get a lot of benefit from that. Also, even in Minnesota you don't want black seats that aren't cooled during the summer!

Thanks for the replies so far. It would be great to get more thoughts from others since I might go get one of these cars tomorrow. The main thing drawing me away from option two is the black exterior. My Acura is black and it shows all dirt along with any nicks being very easy to see. I figure silver might be better for that. I love the way black looks when clean but it never stays that way. Also is it tougher to keep the tan leather clean than black leather? I have two younger girls that would be riding in it a decent amount.

Thanks again. I wish my choice was easier.

It sounds like you're used to a black vehicle, but I would choose Option 2 since it has all the options.  Personally, I love the Adaptive Cruise Control and I will never buy another vehicle without it.  I wish 2013 offered a heated steering wheel.  I am not a fan of the charcoal leather but the ceramic leather seems as though it would show dirt a lot easier.  I think it will clean up easily but keeping it clean is the task that I prefer not to have.

A black exterior can be more time consuming to maintain, but how often do you look at the exterior versus the interior?  Spend some time in both and decide which interior feels/looks better to you.  

Definitely research new Energi's and all the rebates your state may offer and the Federal Tax Credit.  If you still owe on your Acura you may want to sell it instead of trading it in.  Just a thought.

Another recommendation is to search Autotrader or CarMax to see what else is out there instead of the 2 that you are currently deciding between.  I spent 4 months researching before I found what I wanted.  Good luck and let us know what you finally end up with in your driveway!

Tan leather gets dirty much faster. Blue jeans can leave blue stains. Early in 2013, Ford was automatically mailing leather cleaner to owners with tan leather because of complaints about it

The 2013 shows MPGe, this was removed after 2013. The 2013 also has a Lifetime Summary screen. Are you able to see that on the 2013 to see how it was driven?

I have tan leather in my 1999 Expedition...  it definitely shows wear and tear more than black does (little wrinkles, stretches, etc) but I think that's just part of it's charm.  It doesn't bother me.  I clean and condition it every 3 months and it has never stained on me from any clothing I've worn.

I wanted a light colored leather in my Fusion too to try to reject some additional interior heat, but the 2013's only had black as an option.  I was pretty miffed when they came out with Ceramic for the 2014's along with a heated steering wheel (I would've loved that).  On the flipside, I wouldn't want to lose any of the other data readouts that the 2013 has over the 2014, such as losing the MPGe statistic.

As far as your desires go... if you're a tech junkie and love all the electronic gizmos (I LOVE adaptive cruise), then go with the 2015.  If you're like my mom and are happy with only a motor, windows, heat, and air conditioning, then the 2013 would probably suit you just fine. :)

There is only a $4k cost difference, and if you can accept the 2015s wheels, really your only looking at a $2500 cost difference. The newer year and more options would likely push me toward the 2015.

Its a bit sad for us current owners how much the value of these cars has come. I wish I wasn't In need of a car when I got mine, as buying a used one for $21k would be fantastic today, and thats even with me getting 10k off MSRP PLUS the tax rebate.

Hello everyone-

Thanks-

If its a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) that is great! If not it still has some time to go for the manufacture warranty for the 2015 model.  I would go with the second option if it has a clean carfax. I recently gave up a Honda for my Ford Energi. This car is not as refined or polished as the Acura.  That said it does get some amazing MPG!! Also, its much more refined than the last generation Ford Fusion. On the leather I have the ceramic and the car has 50k miles and it looks great so I would not let tan scare you away also it  is cooler in the summer.

Can't stress enough how I would take the second car since it was  close to the $40K range new. If you drive less than 20 miles a day it will be in electric only.

I would take the VIN and call Fords extended service plan department I was able to get the plan for around $3k 0% interest for 8yr/125k here is the website http://fordprotect.ford.com/. The dealer wanted me to buy some third party bs for way much more money. I personally wanted the piece of mind since this car is so loaded with sensors and gadgets that could go bad. Also, if your Acura is paid for you may have luck selling it first. 

See if the  Ford dealer will allow for a "lifestyle test drive" I don't know if they offer it where you are at. The dealer let me drive the car for a day or two to see if it was right for me.

Well best of luck and don't wait too long the second one sounds like a fantastic deal.

Edited by FusionNAZ

I would take the VIN and call Fords extended service plan department I was able to get the plan for around $3k 0% interest for 8yr/125k here is the website http://fordprotect.ford.com/. The dealer wanted me to buy some third party bs for way much more money. I personally wanted the piece of mind since this car is so loaded with sensors and gadgets that could go bad. Also, if your Acura is paid for you may have luck selling it first. 

Anderson-Koch Ford or Flood Ford also sell the Ford ESP online at a reasonable cost. Also, he said he is $3k upside down on the Acura.

Thanks everyone.  I did end up going with option #2 and I am glad I did.  It is already getting cold up here so the heated steering wheel is great.  Also I didn't thing I would use the adapt cruise but I have used it everyday and don't think I could buy a car without it.  The final thing I am enjoying so far is the use of the myfordmobile app and website to monitor the car and start it up before I leave work.  This is great since I don't park close enough to prestart with the key fob.

There is about 20 months life on factory warranty and then I did buy the extended warranty through Ford that extends it another 3 year past that and up to 75k miles.  With all the tech on this car it seemed like a smart thing to do. I have also kept the wheels on the car so far and may just look to upgrade next year if I need to.  The ones on the car are okay.  Instead I am using some of the money I expected to use on wheels to tint the windows and put a 3M clear bra on the front of the car.

Any other tips for a new owner?

Congratulations!!  I'm glad you made a decision based on your wants and partly from other's opinions.  Most important is that you have to love driving your car!

My opinion is to just enjoy driving in electric mode and live with the car for a while.  Once you're used to all the features then explore the various driving techniques to maximize EV motoring.  There are many on this forum smarter than I am with the technical stuff.  Search for topics in this forum and read what others have done and have learned from each other.  The members of this forum are fantastic!!

Enjoy!

There is about 20 months life on factory warranty and then I did buy the extended warranty through Ford that extends it another 3 year past that and up to 75k miles. 

Any other tips for a new owner?

Who did you buy the ESP from? How much was it? Did you check prices online with Anderson-Koch Ford or Flood Ford?

I bought the Ford extended warranty straight from the dealership and paid around $1275. They started up around 1500 but I know from this forum that was a bit high. I think a paid a few more dollars, but it was easy to do at the time of sale.

6/75k from Flood Ford with $0 deductible is $1175. Which deductible level did you choose?