Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Poll: Ambient temps EV later and EV now locked out?

openair

EV later and EV now locked out Temps  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Please check all ambient temperatures you have experienced EV now and EV later becoming locked out

• Between 90 and 100F (32 and 37C) or above 100F(37C)
    • Between 80 and 89F (27 and 31C)
    • Between 70 and 79F (21 and 26C)
    • Between 60 and 69F (16 and 20C)
    • Between 50 and 59F (10 and 15C)
    • Between 40 and 49F (4 and 9C)
    • Between 30 and 39F (-1 and 3C)
    • Between 20 and 29F (-7 and -2C)
    • Between 10 and 19F (-12 and -8C)
    • Between 0 and 9F (-17 and -11C)
    • Between -10 and -1F (-23 and -18C)
    • Between -20 and -11F (-29 and -24C)
    • Between -30 and -21F (-34 and -30C) or below -30F(-34C)
    • Never experienced this, even driving at temps at or below -13F (-25C)
    • Never experienced this, but also never driven at or below -13F (-25C)

Except you quoted me replying to Meagan and Meagan said "you guys" referring to more than the one person who mentioned a different off topic issue.

Assuming there are any error codes. If we can get back on topic, there likely will be no error codes, as there are no warning lights and it is likely intended part of the battery management system. The issue is that we cannot get a straight answer to this without showing a dealer symptoms.

In order to show symptoms I will have to not shut down the vehicle between 7am and 9am when the dealerships opens. Hope they aren't too busy to look at it that day. Hope they'll let me charge it and hope the symptoms still occur after starting it again after charging it. That is a lot to put your customer through just to turn around and tell them it is intended! Never mind the loss of brand faith when the manufacturer can't even tell you how it's supposed to behave.

Sorry, I use the quote hoping to avoid confusion. Looks like it didn't work here. But for his case, driving to the dealer and showing the problem would help.

Personally, I think this is a software bug. The one time it happened to me it wasn't very hot. If it were a temperature problem, it would not correct itself when the vehicle is power cycled. But that is even worse, because a bug will not necessarily leave any traces behind.

EDIT: I have a good dealer and relationship with my service advisor. They hooked up the machine ASAP when I got there, knowing that it had to be found before shutting down.

Edited by stevedebi

I'm not certain my lack of heat was associated with EV now/later lock out or not. It could have been coincidental and unrelated for all I know. Honestly, I'm not too worried about it unless it happens again.

Had I been thinking I would have plugged in my OBDII dongle and checked for codes. I keep it in my car. If it happens again I'll check for codes before turning off the vehicle.

Bdginmo, my latest dealership believes my orange wrench near the temps you experienced a lack of heat is related to my cabin heater. Personally I think my cabin heater worked fine but they say it doesn't work at all. Maybe we're experiencing a similar issue.

I also wonder though if the dealership isn't getting false positives with the cabin heater related to some recent reports of level 2 preconditioning not working correctly.

Edited by openair

• 1 month later...

I had it happen again this morning. This time I pulled the codes via OBDII. I'm getting a P01EB: 96-2F showing up in ForScan. This appears to be something related to the engine coolant heater per ForScan. This makes a lot of sense because my heater stops functioning the same time the EV Now and EV Later options are locked out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright guys. I took my car in today to get the oil changed and I had them troubleshoot my 1) EV mode lockout problem and 2) heater not working problem. I get a call from the service manager and he confirmed that there was a DTC stored in the computer (which I already knew) and there is a test they can do, but they have to change the battery to at least 50%. This is when he mentions that they can't get the battery to change at all which is odd because I've had zero problems with that. He told me they were giving me a rental car so they could work on the issues.

I drove up there and I had a face-to-face conversation with the EV certified tech. He said he couldn't get the battery to charge from their 240v EVSE. He called Ford Engineering and they said fixing the charging problem might fix the electric heater too. He seemed skeptical about it, but acknowledged that the charging issue had to be fixed. That's when I told him to try charging from a 120v outlet because I've had zero problems with that. He said he would give it a try. He also confirmed that the DTC was related to the electric heater. And more to the point of this thread he also thought that the EV mode lockout was a symptom of the electric heater fault.

So I have a rental car right now and apparently Ford Engineering has been briefed about the problems. I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by bdginmo

Unfortunately I fear the problem with diagnosing our cars comes down to lack of experience, especially for those of us who own these cars outside of the state of California (where I would guess the majority of these cars were sold).

In the US, since 2012 there were only a total of 28,902 Fusion PHEVs sold and even if you add in the CMAX PHEVs at 26,392 that only totals just over 55,000 cars. Even though there are mechanics that are trained to work on these cars they simply do not have a lot of experience working on them. This sometimes leaves us a little frustrated at the dealer as they contact other resources that may have more experience.  Could be a lot worse though... there are PHEV cars out there that have only sold in the hundreds... imagine having an issue with a car with that low of production. 

That is what I find so great about this community. When we share experience and bring that knowledge back to the dealerships it cuts the wait time down considerably. I know the last time I brought my car in and stumped them with the Go Times not working Jeff_h bailed me out with the solution that same day.  :)

Source: http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

By the way, I just realized last night while falling asleep that they may be having a problem charging the car because I currently have it set to value charge during the night. Man, I really hope the tech checked that first before telling me there was a problem with the charging. I'm actually now thinking that's probably what the charging "issue" is. I'll call them Monday morning and make sure they remember to change it to charge now  :)

Edited by bdginmo

The charging "issue" was that it was set to value charge. Anyway, I got the car back and they say the electric heater fault was due to a bad fan. The part is back ordered. Once they get it in I'll take the car back and have it installed. At this point I'd say it's likely that the electric heater fault was causing the EV modes to get locked out.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...