Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Battery not charging, flashing ring of death

Kbookhultz

2015 Fusion Energi and my battery has stopped charging. I get a charge fault on the car, not the charger and the ring flashes. The dealer has investigated the problem and said its not the charger. They said it's much more serious than that and they will need to trouble shoot the issue for a few days. No loaner car and parts could take longer. This sounds real bad. Has anyone had this issue?

Where would one find a list of approved Ford electric certified dealer? Is Sheehy Ford of Gaithersburg, Md one? They said they have worked on two of these with the flashing ring in the past. One needed the main battery replaced and the other needed a new wiring harness.

Yes, Sheehy of Gaithersburg is - they will get it taken care of, may have to get a Ford engineer on site if it's a really complex issue that can't be handled over hotline discussions, I think we've seen a couple instances of that.  It sucks to not have a loaner offered, that doesn't seem right/fair but I don't know if they are obligated to offer one or not.  IMHO, if you bought from them they sure should be offering you one if they ever want to have a repeat customer.

I did buy from them and I am pushing the issue for a loaner car. They said they need to find out what's wrong before they can get Ford to pony up for a loaner car and I would have to make that call to Ford to get the car. I hope this all goes well. I just received the JD Powers on the car and I am going wait until this is over to fill it out. The car has been great until now. The service has not been so far with the dealer. I have had a few minor issues with bolts missing and wheel damage after the first service on the car, which they corrected after several re-visits.

Howdy, Kbookhultz! you're in my neck of the woods and yes about Sheehy. I brought about 4 cars from them and the last one before my 14' FFE for me was 10' fusion hybrid. , Is JD your service manager? If not, ask for him. Hes been mine for years and always looked out for us. Matter of fact, my car is going in for service sat.

Edited by lonzo71

Yes, Sheehy of Gaithersburg is - they will get it taken care of, may have to get a Ford engineer on site if it's a really complex issue that can't be handled over hotline discussions, I think we've seen a couple instances of that.  It sucks to not have a loaner offered, that doesn't seem right/fair but I don't know if they are obligated to offer one or not.  IMHO, if you bought from them they sure should be offering you one if they ever want to have a repeat customer.

We had to push the issue with them....not sure why but they claim they do

Thanks everyone for the advise. Sounds like not too many people have had this problem. I hope they don't have to tear the car apart to fix it. Replacing a wiring harness is not easy and requires taking the car apart to get to all of the connections. I would guess the battery being replaced would be less trouble than a wiring harness. I hope it something much less than these two fixes that I have heard about. I am about to go out of the 36k warranty and this car has a lot of electric things that are not part of the hybrid system.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Sounds like not too many people have had this problem. I hope they don't have to tear the car apart to fix it. Replacing a wiring harness is not easy and requires taking the car apart to get to all of the connections. I would guess the battery being replaced would be less trouble than a wiring harness. I hope it something much less than these two fixes that I have heard about. I am about to go out of the 36k warranty and this car has a lot of electric things that are not part of the hybrid system.

You might want to consider an ESP.  Here is a link to Flood Ford's ESP plans.  I just purchased one for my 2013 FFE.

http://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=CNm3_5ny-sgCFVcSHwodtW8M3A

Edited by JATR4

Hi Kbookhultz,

Has this been repaired since your last post? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

Hi Meagan,

Yes, I just picked the car up on Wednesday evening.  They said something that controls the charging had to be replaced.  I have charged the car twice now with no problems. I now have just under 24,000 miles.

Thanks,

Kelly

Thanks for writing back!

Keep me updated with your Fusion. If the symptoms return, please let me know.

Meagan

• 7 months later...

Be aware that the charge port cover is part of the charge port system ---poor design! If the cover does NOT pop open and flip around it may be faulty! The port illuminated ring will light up and go in circles. The dealer was going to charge me $500 and I contacted the corporate office and voice my angerrrrrr re the design and cost. The dealer cut the cost in half! It is still s BAD design! The part looks like a 1-1/2 wide ring with a black straw screw like insert on one side, a plug, and a spring on another side. The light display on the ring has been referred to as a ring of fire! Poor design.

• 1 year later...

Are you using the supplied 120 volt EVSE or an aftermarket 240 volt EVSE?

Are you sure the J-1772 plug is firmly inserted in to the connector on the car.

If it's the 120 volt EVSE have you tried a different outlet?

Take it to your dealer and try the 240 volt EVSE that is supposed to be available on the outside of their building.

I've been using the original charger. The outlet works for the past 4 years. I've not try to charge it on but 240v charger. I'll call to dealership today. I wanted to get input from the group before I bring it in. You guys have saved me money in the past like my TCU. They were going to charge me $800 to replace it but I found out from you guys it was going to be exchanged for free.

If you didn't purchase a warranty extension then it is not under the bumper to bumpr warranty.

On the other hand there is the 8 year / 100,000 mile Hybrid Unique Components warranty.  I do not know if the light ring and internal charger are considered to be "hybrid unique components". 

Edited by murphy