Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charge Port Door lock?

davonavo

I have come back to my Energi in a parking lot and found the Charge Port door open. It may have been my fault, but seeing all those electrical connections begging to be messed with worries me. Has anybody considered a door with a cable release from inside, or better yet, electrical with button enabled by proximity of Key Fob? We protect our gas fill door, why not this one? 

I had this problem until I developed the habit of removing the plug with my right hand, transferring the plug to my left hand, and then closing the door with my right hand.  If you put the charger away first someone will interrupt you and you will forget to close the door.

I agree that it should be latched just like the gas door.

I have found the charging port door open coming back to my car in a shopping center parking lot, not at a charging station. I suspect someone passed by and said " wonder what's behind this little door?" If it had started raining while it was open and the port electrical connections got wet, it could have caused quite a problem. I can live with a little inconvenience.

Moisture or rain won't bother the charge port.  The cover keeps it pretty, but I wonder how dry it really keeps it.  I've accidentally driven around with it open in a downpour once... or maybe someone opened it in a store parking lot.  Not sure, but that was soon after I had received the car.  Since then, I have a system similar to Murphy's and I do not leave the charge door open at all.  I always close it before I hang up the cord.  Funny thing is when I refuel, I always return the nozzle before closing the door.  Go figure.

I personally do not see a need to secure the door (like the Volt).  I've never secured my gas tank filler either.  So far, I've only known one person who had sugar poured in to his gas tank, and that was way back in middle school.  I haven't heard anybody getting their fuel siphoned, or having some other garbage put in the tank even if they were feuding with a neighbor.  I've heard of potatoes being jammed in tailpipes, but never seen it nor know anybody who had that happen to them.

What I see most often is eggs thrown at cars.  I've experienced that twice.  Neighbor at my old house had eggs thrown at his truck, and my girlfriend had eggs thrown at her car just a couple weeks ago.  Some people need to grow up a little sooner.

I'm not sure how easily a door remote would work. The door requires a push in to open; I would think with a latch it would have to be spring loaded and pop directly out instead.

I sometimes think how smart Ford was with this "circle out" design  - if it is left open, there is little drag. That is in contrast to a door that pops open 90 degrees, which drags in the wind (like the fuel filler door).

I understand your points of view. But an exposed electrical connector in a driving rainstorm, and we are gearing up for El Nino out here on the West Coast, would give me concern. Even worse, spray thrown up by a passing vehicle. And wet electrical connectors corrode. Ever notice the precautions taken on outdoor 120 volt boxes on the outside of a house?

Ah yes, the unlocked gas tank. A ready source of fuel for cash strapped teenagers. I remember it well. I still remember the taste of gasoline from the siphon hose. Thanks for the memories. 

Appreciate your input. Together we can come to the correct solution. In the meantime, I'll be watching for an after market charge port door lock. 

You can also hear the connection being made or disconnecting. 

When you plug in next time, listen. You will hear a click-clunk. Then the charge ring will start blinking.

If you want to hear it disengage, just grab the plug and hold the trigger. You will hear that click-clunk again and it will stop charging... then pull it out. 

The system is  designed to not complete the circuit until the charger and the car communicate. 

From the manual:

There is a cord acknowledgment feature that will be activated when a charge cycle is initiated. The four light quadrants will each individually flash clockwise starting with the top right light and ending with the top left, two full times confirming a charging coupler has been detected.

I understand your points of view. But an exposed electrical connector in a driving rainstorm, and we are gearing up for El Nino out here on the West Coast, would give me concern. Even worse, spray thrown up by a passing vehicle. And wet electrical connectors corrode. Ever notice the precautions taken on outdoor 120 volt boxes on the outside of a house?

Ah yes, the unlocked gas tank. A ready source of fuel for cash strapped teenagers. I remember it well. I still remember the taste of gasoline from the siphon hose. Thanks for the memories. 

Appreciate your input. Together we can come to the correct solution. In the meantime, I'll be watching for an after market charge port door lock. 

I have driven in heavy rain and highways with the door open, and then used the L2 charger at the distant end, with no issue. Rain will not cause problems.

There was a C-Max Emergi user who didn't want to mess up his lifetime mileage, so he tried to siphon the tank on his car as he approached the mandatory fuel burn age. Turns out it cannot be done - he took it to the dealer and everything. It appears that due to the way it is built, it cannot be siphoned.

I have driven in heavy rain and highways with the door open, and then used the L2 charger at the distant end, with no issue. Rain will not cause problems.

There was a C-Max Emergi user who didn't want to mess up his lifetime mileage, so he tried to siphon the tank on his car as he approached the mandatory fuel burn age. Turns out it cannot be done - he took it to the dealer and everything. It appears that due to the way it is built, it cannot be siphoned.

The last car I was able to siphon gas out of was my 2002 Crown Vic.  My next car, a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, had the baffles in place to prevent siphoning.  Annoyed me  a lot because that is where I used to get the gas for my lawn equipment.

My 1999 Expedition has some sort of anti siphon valve in it.  Found that out when my fuel pump died and I needed to get the gas out of the tank to replace it.  I had to remove the fill tube and then I could get in to the tank with a line.  I wound up giving all of that gas to the Focus (she got pretty much 2 free fillups out of that).  30 gallon tank up against a ~13 gallon tank. :)

Replaced pump, bought 5 gallons of gas and brought it home, got it started and rolled to the gas station and filled it up. 

• 5 weeks later...

Getting to the heart of the issue, there is no lock on it, since people cant steel from it. Gas doors are locked to help dissuade people from trying to siphon gas from your car. Can thieves siphon electricity from your car? Nope. Water isn't an issue, so adding any type of lock just creates a nuisance and added cost.

90% of the time its open because you forgot to fully close it, the other 10% someone wondered what it is, close it and move on with life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish there were a sensor to remind you that it's open before driving away. Wouldn't have taken much for Ford to do that. 

But why?

Your doors open, ok thats a problem.

Your charge door open? what harm is going to happen if its open?

Adding a sensor just adds cost and something else to fail.

There is a sensor if your still plugged in, thats a problem, the door being open? No issue at all.

ok ok, if you drive dirt roads all the time, and it was especially dusty, having the door closed could be a bit helpful.

How about a sensor on your sunroof if you forget to close it, when you walk away? That could be helpful. Sends you an automated text msg "Are you sure you want to leave your sunroof open? it could rain, or birds could poop in your car"

Hows this, for the cost of the sensor they could have just motorized the door, so if you put the car in drive, and its open, it automatically closes, if we are wasting money, why not that?