Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Potential newbie

mrmikel

Hi Everyone!  I currently have a 2010 FFH.  I got it for a steal brand new in October 2010.  No problems with it at all except a little bit of rust in one of the door seams, which I have had repaired.  I have been eyeing a used 2013 FFE Titanium.  Finally took it for a test ride today.  Love the way it drives!!  But I found all the controls and displays quite overwhelming.

So I have sme general questions I hope you all will be so kind to provide feedback on:

1. The car I am looking at does not have a nav system.  I was like "huh"??  I have become rather fond of the nav on my 2010.  For those of you who went from having a nav to not having a nav, how difficult was the transition?

2.  As mentioned previously, the controls and displays are a bit overwhelming. Now I know how my son, a pilot, feels when he has to learn a new aircraft.  How long afer reading the manual did it take you to master the controls to get the most out of the systems? 

3. I thought I had read or heard somewhere that there were problems with the 2013 FFE.  That has me a little hesitant to buy.  Any comments?

I referrred in the title to me being a "potential" buyer.  But I should add that I DID sign the papers to buy this vehicle, but now I'm having second thoughts.  Your answers will go a long way to helping me decide if I want to change my mind.

Thanks in advance!  I used to be active on the Ford Fusion forums when I first got my 2010 FFH.

Wow, not a peep from anyone.  Alrighty then!

I pick up my new used car tomorrow evening and cannot wait!  It will be sad to see my 2010 FFH go to the auction block, but it just turned 70k miles, and was still costing me.  New ride comes with just 17k miles at over $100 less per month.  Thursday morning it goes to my mechanic for a complete review.  Hope there are no issues.  Used car dealer warranties their used cars for 2 months or 2500 miles, so anything my guy catches goes to the used car dealer for resolution.  Car has never been in an accident, guaranteed.  Carfax is clean.

Next week I will have the APIM replaced to add navigation and maps to the head unit.  Some guy in Wausau, WI does this work.  Check his website: www.fordpimods.com

Ok, have a good day everyone :-)

Sorry I thought Hybridbear might reply as he is also in MN.  I also thought Murphy might chime in as I think he also had a 2010 FFH. 

I had a 2010 FFH and still see it for oil changes as it's now owned by a friend - great car and just about to pass 220k miles.

The Fusion Energi is also great, and be sure to get a Level 2 charger to take advantage of GO Times, they sure are nice!

Level 2 charger - that's the 220 volt unit, yes?  My garage is not wired for 220 volts, so not an option.  But if that means something else, I guess I need to check into it.

I finally had a chance to charge it, and on a full charge, it shows I only have a 13 mile range.  Am I missing something?  Is there some sort of conditioning I have to do to get it to the 21 miles?

I am still reading the manual, earning a lot.  And YouTube has been a great resource for things, like how to replace the cabin air filter.  And I just learned that I can raise and lower the windows with the key fb - like how cool is that??

My ispection came back pretty clean.  Only 2 codes: one whowing a communication failure to some heating/cooling vains in the grille, and one showing a problem with the ambient temperature sensor.  Othrwise the car looks very clean.  One owner lease return, as best I can tell.  But I suspect they may have been a smoker, not happy about that.

Yes, Level 2 charger = 240 volts.  In most cases people will need to get an additional circuit installed for a charger.  On that issue there are several threads, here is one:

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/710-what-level-2-charger-did-you-buyinstall/

Estimated 13 miles on full charge seems low but you may have had the heat on, which makes a difference.  There are also several threads on that topic, here is one:

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1288-average-range-on-a-full-charge/

Thanks for the replies, jeff_h.  As it is winter time here, I doubt my EV range will improve much until warmer weather arrives.

As for learning all the controls and systems, hasn't been as bad as I thought.  Slowly working through the manual and geting things set up for me, like Homelink, and my seat/mirror settings.  And knowing how to raise/lower the windows from outside the car is just awesome!!

Now just awaiting to schedule a time to get my nav installed.

1. The car I am looking at does not have a nav system.  I was like "huh"??  I have become rather fond of the nav on my 2010.  For those of you who went from having a nav to not having a nav, how difficult was the transition?

2.  As mentioned previously, the controls and displays are a bit overwhelming. Now I know how my son, a pilot, feels when he has to learn a new aircraft.  How long afer reading the manual did it take you to master the controls to get the most out of the systems? 

3. I thought I had read or heard somewhere that there were problems with the 2013 FFE.  That has me a little hesitant to buy.  Any comments?

1. Without nav you still have the turn-by-turn directions from Sync Services, although the 3 year free period may be passed on a used car. We don't use the nav much. We find that it picks really stupid routes so we usually just use Google maps on our phones.
  2. More challenging than the displays are learning how to maximize your use of EV Now & EV Later when doing trips that exceed the HVB range. I'm still learning after a couple years with the car.
  3. The 2013s have had a lot more issues than later years, but they also had more features. The 2013s include a Lifetime Summary which shows "lifetime" MPG or MPGe, EV miles, Regen Miles & Brake Score. I'd be curious to see a picture of this for your car. It will help you see how it was used before you bought it. The Lifetime Regen Miles & Brake Score are reset anytime the PCM is updated. The entire Lifetime Summary can be reset at any time via the menus of the left dash screen. The 2013 Energi can also compute MPGe. This helps you see how efficient your EV mode driving is. Check out this section of the Hybrid Forum for info about maintenance issues. You can see the quantity of issues that affected the 2013. What's your build date? You can look up your build date following the steps in this thread.

Level 2 charger - that's the 220 volt unit, yes?  My garage is not wired for 220 volts, so not an option.  But if that means something else, I guess I need to check into it.

I finally had a chance to charge it, and on a full charge, it shows I only have a 13 mile range.  Am I missing something?  Is there some sort of conditioning I have to do to get it to the 21 miles?

I am still reading the manual, earning a lot.  And YouTube has been a great resource for things, like how to replace the cabin air filter.  And I just learned that I can raise and lower the windows with the key fb - like how cool is that??

My ispection came back pretty clean.  Only 2 codes: one whowing a communication failure to some heating/cooling vains in the grille, and one showing a problem with the ambient temperature sensor.  Othrwise the car looks very clean.  One owner lease return, as best I can tell.  But I suspect they may have been a smoker, not happy about that.

Living in MN there are a lot of benefits to having a L2 EVSE. Where in MN are you? If you're in the Twin Cities I'd recommend contacting Haro Electric. They did the upgrade at my parents' house when they got their C-Max Energi in 2013. They were very happy with the work of Xavier & his team. At our apartment the electrical work was done by the maintenance staff, so we didn't deal with an electrician.

Regarding range, check out this SSM from Ford.

What dealer did you buy from?

Check out our local EV owners group. It's a very valuable resource.

HybridBear, Happy New Year!  And thanks for this invaluable information.  In my pursuit to find a full window sticker, I did stumble upon the ETIS website.  I have a build date of 19JUN2013, so I think I may have eluded many of the earlier recalls for this car. As for a L2 charger, for now I am just fine with my L1 charger.  My wife gets a kick when the car sends me a text saying its fully charged :-).  Yes, I am in the Twin Cities metro area, and will keep this recommendatin in mind if I want to upgrade.  Car was purchased from Poquet Auto in Golden Valley.  Very fair pricing (no haggle) and a decent value for my trade-in.

One of my biggest hurdles it trying to figure out what the braking coach wants from me.  I can't see a pattern to what I am doing and how it scores my result.  A work in progress for sure.

And I am really trying to figure out why a Titanium trim package doesn't include everything.

In my pursuit to find a full window sticker

Car was purchased from Poquet Auto in Golden Valley.  Very fair pricing (no haggle) and a decent value for my trade-in.

One of my biggest hurdles it trying to figure out what the braking coach wants from me.  I can't see a pattern to what I am doing and how it scores my result.  A work in progress for sure.

Copy & paste this link into your web browser & add your VIN after it to get the window sticker: http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=

I drive by Poquet Auto at least once a week when driving 100 to go visit my parents.

The Brake Score measures the percent of energy you recovered through regen out of what was possible to recover. Start braking early & brake gently to get 100% brake scores.

Let me know if you're ever able to make it to one of our local EV owner meetings & we can meet up to chat.

And I am really trying to figure out why a Titanium trim package doesn't include everything.

Hi mrmikel!

I feel badly for not jumping in sooner with my comments. I have a 2013 Titanium built on 2/2/13.  I searched the internet and joined this forum months before I purchased my Energi.  A lot of very smart and tech savvy people here.  The comments and knowledge from them solidified my decision to buy my car.

As for “problems” with my 2013, I can’t really say that I had problems or recalls that have made me regret buying my Energy.  All the TSB’s fixed my issues and all the recalls were completed, except the door latch I think.

I absolutely love my car and have not regretted buying it for one minute.  I went into this purchase knowing I was buying a 1st generation model and perhaps I talked myself into accepting any issues that the subsequent years may not experience.  I am extremely happy with my Energi.

That brake coach shows you the % of energy you put back into you HVB through regenerative braking.  If you see 100% then all of your braking went to recharge the HVB.  It definitely takes practice but I think you would be good at since you had the Fusion Hybrid.  This video may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA1u-cV3mBE

This next video shows you how to change the left screen to “Coach”.  I don’t use this unless I’m driving in town in EV Now just to see how smartly I’m driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQ4STVPJHs

The Titanium is just a trim package.  Back in 2013 Ford only offered 2 trims for the Energi; SE and Titanium.  I think you could order the same options for both trims.  The differences on the exterior is the spoiler; it is standard on the Titanium but you could opt to delete it.  Also, the black trim below the grill, around the fog lights and on the lower rear bumper are piano black (gloss) on the Titanium.  These black trim pieces are flat black on the SE.  The tail lights on the Titanium are actually the red "halo" and are LED, the brake lights and turn signals are within that halo.  The SE uses the same lights for the tail lights, brake lights and turn signals which are LED also.  But the red "halo" on the SE are reflectors and do not illuminate.  The Titanium has a chrome strip on the exterior door handles.  

The interior is also different.  Titanium has a different center stack than the SE and also different seats.  The Titanium came with the Sony sound system, but you could not opt for the Sony in the SE.  The only knob on the center stack in a Titanium is the volume.  Leather is standard on both SE and Titanium but the seats are different.  The horizontal trim on the door panels and across the dashboard are also different.  The SE has a "wood" look instead of the all "metal" look of the Titanium.  The Titanium has aluminum scuff plates on the front door sills.

If you want to see photos of the differences, just go to the Carmax website - there are a lot of 2013 Energi's for sale now and a lot of photos of the different models.  Others on this forum may know more about the differences between the Titanium and SE.  But whatever the case........

Enjoy your 2013 Titanium!   :love_shower: