Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Battery capacity @ 30K miles horrible

Battery Life

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 193 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

That's terrific.

You've said before that you run at a "0% SoC" during those hot months, which I assume means your display says 0.0 kWh and the car doesn't allow any EV mode change.  Your results are surprising for two reasons:

1. SoC of the entire 7.6 kWh battery (including hybrid portion and safety buffer), on average, is running in the teens*, which seems too low for best practices.

2. If you plug in at a 0% SoC and set value charging to some later time, Ford's logic will nevertheless charge immediately to 10% and then stop (resuming later as per the value charge setting).  Ford must think it's not good to run at a 0.0 kWh reading.

Your results seem to prove them wrong, or at least the battery in those conditions is more resilient than common knowledge would think.  It's hard to imagine you doing any better using any other practices.

it seems that you've shown (though it's only one sample) that for the Energi,

- low SoC is not a concern, at least not in high heat (no data for cold temps).  

- strict adherence to low SoC in high heat has been shown to result in very low battery degradation.

Congrats, and thanks for posting this information.  Very enlightening.

* With a full hybrid portion, according to another post by you, that's 22% full of the complete battery; other figures come to as much as 26%.  But the car wants to run at about 50% hybrid portion, which puts it at ~12-16% on average.

I've seen a couple of reports of fleet vehicles bought used with a couple of years and near 100,000 miles on them that apparently have never got charged and the new owners are reporting like-new batteries on them. Based on other posts talking about high heat and high SoC together and considering my electric rate jumps from $0.06/kwh to $0.12/kwh in the summer I decided to just defer charging altogether in the summer months. So far this strategy seems to be working. And yes, I literally run at 0% SoC (yes, my ScanGauge stays close to 15% in hybrid mode) for months at a time with null ill effects so far.

• jj2me likes this
377260.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 124 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Wow!  My 2015 with 42,800 miles is only getting 4.2 to 4.4 kWh to hybrid mode, but I'm fully charging twice a day M-F and top off charges with mini trips on the weekend.

This seems to be one of the keys to battery life.  Keeping it full degrades it faster (in addition to multiple charges per day).  I'd change your habits if I were you if you want to save what battery you have left.  Do you charge immediately when you get to work or get home?  Maybe use Value Charge to charge closer to your leaving time so it doesn't sit at 100% too long.

Personally I'm only charging to what will suffice for my commute (~80% charge) rather than starting at 100% and ending with 20%.  I also don't start charging until I absolutely have to in order to have what I need for the trip.

#63 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 227 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

This seems to be one of the keys to battery life.  Keeping it full degrades it faster (in addition to multiple charges per day).  I'd change your habits if I were you if you want to save what battery you have left.  Do you charge immediately when you get to work or get home?  Maybe use Value Charge to charge closer to your leaving time so it doesn't sit at 100% too long.

Personally I'm only charging to what will suffice for my commute (~80% charge) rather than starting at 100% and ending with 20%.  I also don't start charging until I absolutely have to in order to have what I need for the trip.

My commute is 26 miles and I get around 22 miles on battery.  I charge right away at work, because I will run out for short trips that won't use gas at all.  When I get home after work, I use value charge to delay so it is ready for morning commute. I'm happy with what I'm getting and not going to change to save the battery.  Getting over 100 MPG lifetime and only hitting the gas station once a month compared to once a week works for me.

409947.png

#64 OFFLINE   Spiffster

Spiffster

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I just bought a (new) leftover 2015 Energi thats been sitting on the lot for over 2 years... ($25k OTD plus I get state and federal rebate/credit of about $9k total) Anyway, I can eke out 25 miles from the battery so I suppose its in relatively good shape. My commute to work is 20 miles and I drop my two kids off at school and daycare. I will charge at work too. So at home I am charging overnight on regular 120V circuit, and at work I will be charging at 240V. I will maximize EV driving and am not going to worry about the battery. I do live in a relatively cool climate though (CO).

Edited by Spiffster, 03 October 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#65 OFFLINE   Petethor

Petethor

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIL
  • Current Vehicle:Ford fusion se energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

2013 Ford Fusion Se Energi that I am fighting with Ford the charge on the vehicle is getting worse. I have a 240 volt charger and the maximum charge I get on the battery is 15mpg. I will most likely get less than 14mpg.

The charge amount each year is going down going down. I purchase vehicle new in 2014 and I did get 22mpg per charge. After the first winter 22mpg went down to 20mpg. 

Ford tells me that the indicator was off because I replaced the tires so they recalibrated and I drove it for a 1000 miles only to experience the same issue.

I took back to Ford again they had the vehicle for 4 days and they told me to drive it for a 1000 miles again only to have the same problem.

It seems to me that the Battery is the issue and Ford does not want to replace it.

#66 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 124 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

2013 Ford Fusion Se Energi that I am fighting with Ford the charge on the vehicle is getting worse. I have a 240 volt charger and the maximum charge I get on the battery is 15mpg. I will most likely get less than 14mpg.

The charge amount each year is going down going down. I purchase vehicle new in 2014 and I did get 22mpg per charge. After the first winter 22mpg went down to 20mpg. 

Ford tells me that the indicator was off because I replaced the tires so they recalibrated and I drove it for a 1000 miles only to experience the same issue.

I took back to Ford again they had the vehicle for 4 days and they told me to drive it for a 1000 miles again only to have the same problem.

It seems to me that the Battery is the issue and Ford does not want to replace it.

I'm assuming you mean 14 miles, not mpg.  The miles is only an estimate, but if you drive the same route in the same manner, and the estimate is dropping (and correspondingly if the amount of charge in kWh required to go from zero to full is dropping) then you are definitely losing capacity.  I hope it works out for you, but it sounds like you may be joining the class action lawsuit.

#67 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 193 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

Range (in miles) doesn't really matter all that much...at least to us. It's the kwh you get out of a charge that matters. What are you getting now?

• Timewellspent likes this
377260.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·