Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2014 Energi Titanium Popping noise

JM8201

Dealer has had my car for 3 days. No loaner option. Paying for my own rental car....

Popping noise in stop and go traffic. After releasing the brake and pressing the gas you hear a quick but loud pop. Anyone else experience this? I received a call from the dealer yesterday saying we can find the problem and there is nothing else they can do. This started with 300 miles left on my warranty but not sure how much good that will do me with this "unfixable" issue. Dealer said they called Ford and they weren't able to help. Curious to hear if anyone else has had this happen.

I received a call from the dealer yesterday saying we can find the problem and there is nothing else they can do.

Can or can't?

Dealer has had my car for 3 days. No loaner option. Paying for my own rental car....

Did you try to find a different dealer that would provide a rental?

Popping noise in stop and go traffic. After releasing the brake and pressing the gas you hear a quick but loud pop.

Check out this TSB. It's older than your car, but it might give the dealer an idea of what to check.

UPDATE- The dealership gave me back my car and they put in a request for a ford engineer to come out. They could not however give me an exact date of when that would happen but said they would give 24HR notice. 

HYBRIDBEAR, Thanks for the TSB. I believe they checked that one out and it didn't apply but I will ask them again. I love the car otherwise but if ford cant fix this one it will be my last ford. I was also getting what I would describe as a flexing/creaking noise from the trunk when starting to climb a hill or coming off the bottom of a hill and they said they fixed that but that issue remains as well : (

Hoping ford sees this post and does something for me. I thought being an early adopter would get me a little more support.

Hoping ford sees this post and does something for me. I thought being an early adopter would get me a little more support.

It appears the Ford representatives that used to monitor the forum are no longer doing so, so I wouldn't expect them to see your post and do anything for you. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't seem to care at all about individual customers or early adopters of their vehicles. If you want that kind of service, you have to buy a Tesla. Tesla has to provide that level of service since they are in the infancy of their existence as a car company. Ford doesn't have to worry about that because there will always be customers for their pick up trucks, no matter how badly they treat them. And in reality, selling pick up trucks, SUVs & gas guzzling performance cars is all that Ford management cares about. Just look at the announcement regarding the 2017 Fusion for confirmation of that, no improvement to the hybrid and a new performance "sport" version released.

UPDATE- The dealership gave me back my car and they put in a request for a ford engineer to come out. They could not however give me an exact date of when that would happen but said they would give 24HR notice.

So the car can be driven, right?  But you are getting a popping sound each time you let off the brakes and then go to get onto the gas you hear a "pop" like maybe it is the axle shaft needing that thrust washer even though it already has one? I had a sound on my 2013 red Energi when t had 64k miles and the sound was just like the popping sound on my 2013 Hybrid that was fixed by the 13-5-24 TSB, though the Energi was not in the range of the expected build dates.  So I took mine in and would have bet $1 that they would have done the same thrust washer thing, but nope they instead found the cause to be the front powertrain insulator/support.  I don't know if that is a fancy name for motor mount or transmission mount, or whether it is something different.  In any case, the repair order (RO) from that visit is below and may be something for your service guys to check if not done already?  Once they replaced that on my red one, the sound did go away.

Energi_Service_20151005_zps22ipus3z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My dealer performed TSB 13-5-24 at my request yesterday and it stopped the noise. My 2013 FFE started making the noise at about 38K, and it was built after the date on the TSB that said it should have the additional washers, but it did not have the washers on the half-shafts.

BTW, I use the local Lincoln dealer instead of the Ford dealer and have been much happier with their work. The two times I used the Ford dealer I had to bring the car back because each time the repairs were not performed correctly.