Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is a 240 charging station worth the cost?

Michelle

For the first few weeks after I bought my Fusion Energi, I averaged one trip per day, and was able to do it all on one charge.  So the 7 ½ hour charging time for a depleted battery was not an issue; I would charge the car overnight.

Lately, though, my trips have been longer and/or I've made more than one trip a day, resulting in a depleted battery before going out again, or the battery being depleted before I return.

A charging state costs in the neighborhood of $1,000 installed, and even with the 30% tax rebate, it's still about $700.

Is it really worth it?

The cost of a ClipperCreek LCS-20 is $379 and costs to install vary by electrician, but hopefully it's not over a few hundred unless there are complications like needing to add a subpanel.

But as I've noted once or twice in other threads here - you can get by with a Level 1 charger just like you can get by with dial-up internet since each fulfills the purpose, but you will very likely be as glad that you installed a Level 2 charger as you were when you upgraded to high-speed internet.

Everyone is different and it's your money, but I don't recall seeing others post here that they wish they'd used the money for something other than getting the Level 2 charger.

Yes! Get a 240v charger unless the installation is difficult. I am on my second plug-in ( 2013 CMax, 2016 Fusion Energi) and will always have a plug-in or ev. Leaving the car plugged-in and preconditioning greatly increases the car's utility and enjoyment. Winter or summer my car is 72 when I get in. Check if there is a tax break for a 240v charger.
The only question for me is which one? There is plenty of good advice on this forum!

For the first few weeks after I bought my Fusion Energi, I averaged one trip per day, and was able to do it all on one charge.  So the 7 ½ hour charging time for a depleted battery was not an issue; I would charge the car overnight.

Lately, though, my trips have been longer and/or I've made more than one trip a day, resulting in a depleted battery before going out again, or the battery being depleted before I return.

A charging state costs in the neighborhood of $1,000 installed, and even with the 30% tax rebate, it's still about $700.

Is it really worth it?

Speaking purely from a mathematical perspective, there are two advantages to having an L2 EVSE.

In case you're not familiar with the terminology:

EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. The thing at the other end of the cable you're plugging into the car. ;) The battery charger is actually on board the car. 

L1 = Level 1 charging, 120V AC using an EVSE like the one that came with the Energi.

L2 = Level 2 charging, 240V AC using an EVSE that you have installed at home or most public EVSEs.

L3 = Level 3 charging, 400+V DC aka "DCFC" (DC Fast Charging) that bypasses the charger and goes straight to the battery. Not available on the Fusion Energi. :(

So, those two advantages:

1) All of your charging becomes more efficient - L2 charging is roughly 82% efficient, L1 charging is roughly 72% efficient. Assuming a full charge puts 6kWh into your battery, that means that L1 will need 8.33kWh from the wall while L2 will only need 7.32kWh. That extra kWh costs me about 13 cents (my kWh rate from the local electric utility) for each full charge I do at home. Since I charge at home 5 times/week (maybe 6, but I'm usually not fully depleted in the summer), that means I'll save only $33.80/year on electricity if my charging habits do not change.

2) You can do more electric driving if you're able to charge at home multiple times per day. For example, on Tuesdays I come home from work, eat dinner, and go back out to a band rehearsal. In the hour I'm home, I'll only get about 3 miles worth of energy back into the battery via L1, while L2 would put in about 10 miles worth. That's 7 miles where I'll be burning gas instead of driving electric. With gas as cheap as it is, that makes no difference in cost at the moment. :(

3) Okay, I know I said two but if you're on a tiered electrical plan where your low rates last for less than 7 hours, you'll probably be able to save more by using value charging only at the lowest rates as well.

So, if you're looking purely at cost savings - No, it's probably not worth it. However, if gas prices go back up - And they will, sooner or later - you'll be able to save more money with advantage #2 above. How much will depend on how many extra trips you take each day, how much time is available to charge in between, the length of the trips, and the price of gas vs. the price of electricity.

However, the Energi has gotten me so spoiled on electric driving that I hate to let the engine kick in! (I even take my L1 EVSE with me each day so I can plug in at work.) It's nice to have preconditioning, and it's nice to be able to take advantage of smooth, quiet electric driving. Because I enjoy electric driving so much, I am committed to electric vehicles for the long term and so I know I'll eventually be able to recoup the costs.

If you live where it gets cold at night the use of GO times to precondition the car works really well with an L2 EVSE but is not worth much with an L1 EVSE.

With an L1 EVSE there is 120 volts x 12 amps = 1440 watts available.

With an L2 EVSE there is 240 volts x 16 amps = 3840 watts available.

Both of those calculations are ignoring power factor, which I don't have any data on, for EVSEs.  However it is a resistance heater in the car so the power factor should be very close to 1.

I've not gotten L2 for my C-Max Energi for a couple of reasons.

1. It is expensive. At $33 a year, it would take 21 years to recoup the costs.

2. I think that charging the car more than once per day is likely to shorten the battery life. I realize some folks do it, but I may well keep mine past my lease. Assuming a once per day charge, the L1 is fine. I do still charge up if there is a free public L2 charger, but finding a free one that is working is rare. These are LiIon batteries, and regardless of the protection Ford built in, they will lose capacity over time, and it will be worse depending on the number of charging cycles.

3. At current gas prices (even in SoCal), it is theoretically just about cheaper to run gas than pay for electricity to charge. I realize this could change. So the main reason for L2 (efficiency and multiple charging) is less important.

The main advantage to the L2 in my opinion is pre-conditioning. It takes an L2 charger to do it effectively. In Northern states, this might be essential for winter driving.

Edited by stevedebi

No way, not in the Energi at least... Its only 7.7Kw, probably only 6~ is usable... Charges in about 5-7 hours usually overnight. I'm not sure about anyone's who's drive is literally home for 2 hours then out for a fair distance and back.

IMO the battery in the Energi is on the verge of too small to be practical in the summer. In the winter it already is. Empty within the first half hour.

My record is five full charges in one day.

No way, not in the Energi at least... Its only 7.7Kw, probably only 6~ is usable... Charges in about 5-7 hours usually overnight. I'm not sure about anyone's who's drive is literally home for 2 hours then out for a fair distance and back.

IMO the battery in the Energi is on the verge of too small to be practical in the summer. In the winter it already is. Empty within the first half hour.

Michelle:

You're in a bad spot...arizona, which means its hot and not good for the HVB.  You most likely don't need to preheat the car, and you do need to cool it with AC but the 120v stock charger can handle that.

It is bad for the HVB do drive in and out all day long and recharge it with 240v especially in hot places (hello Arizona again).  The battery temp will rise more the more you use and recharge it and most the faster you use and/or recharge it.  Doing this can cut 20% out of the battery's capacity in as little as 2 years time, some folks have already experienced that and are in the business of charging several times a day to go in and out and run errands.

Anyway something to think about, Steve worded this better than I did here, I'm tired and its late, just back from Jamaica last night so I'm still "jet lagged" in a way.

-=>Raja.

Convenience: Just do it - you'll be happy you did!

Cost: Just to reiterate, it shouldn't cost you $1,000 for a level 2 EVSE.  You can get a 16 amp charger for under $400 (Clipper Creek), and you should be able to get an electrician to wire up a 240V outlet or junction box for $200-$300, so $700 max.  If you already have a convenient 240V outlet, or if your breaker panel is in or near your garage, you can reduce or eliminate the additional charge for the outlet.

Convenience: Just do it - you'll be happy you did!

Cost: Just to reiterate, it shouldn't cost you $1,000 for a level 2 EVSE.  You can get a 16 amp charger for under $400 (Clipper Creek), and you should be able to get an electrician to wire up a 240V outlet or junction box for $200-$300, so $700 max.  If you already have a convenient 240V outlet, or if your breaker panel is in or near your garage, you can reduce or eliminate the additional charge for the outlet.

I wish!  My power panel is in our finished basement on the opposite end of the house from my garage.  An est. to get the power to the garage alone was $1,000.  That doesn't include the EVSE or any repairs to drywall on basement wall or ceiling where panel is located.