Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charges at Level 1 rate using Level 2 chargers

dperreno

This just started this week - coincidentally when my 12V battery went bad.  Last weekend, I was checking the 12V battery by unplugging my car after it had fully charged and then coming back 5-6 hours later and checking the voltage (via a voltage meter plugged into the power point outlet).  The voltage was down to 8.8V!  

I plugged the car back in and on Monday I drove to work.  Here is where it got interesting.  We have L2 chargers at work so I snagged a spot and plugged in.  Instead of charging to full in 2 hours or so, it took almost 6 hours.  I chalked it up to the weak 12V battery.

I took the car in to the dealer on Monday and left it with them for a couple of days.  I forgot to mention the slow charge.  I got the car back yesterday (Thursday).  They said the 12V battery was bad and it was replaced.  When I picked up my car, the 12V was fine, but the large battery was at 0%.  Gee, thanks for charging it up for me.  I got home and plugged it in to my L2 charger - it took 5 hours to charge.  Drove to work this morning and... that's right 5 hours!

I'm going to try doing a system reset this weekend, and if that doesn't work, it's going back to the dealer.

In the mean time, I'm open to suggestions...  

Update:  I did the system reset and now my car is charging at the faster speed as it should!  I did have to re-link the car to My Ford Mobile, so it'll be 24 hours before I can check on the charge status using my phone app, but that's ok, I'm just happy it is working the way it should.

Re-linking should not require 24 hours.  However every time I have been forced to do that I have had to stop the app on my Android phone and then delete the data from the app to get it working again.  Alternately you can delete the app and then download it again.

I plugged the car back in and on Monday I drove to work.  Here is where it got interesting.  We have L2 chargers at work so I snagged a spot and plugged in.  Instead of charging to full in 2 hours or so, it took almost 6 hours.  I chalked it up to the weak 12V battery. 

I got home and plugged it in to my L2 charger - it took 5 hours to charge.  Drove to work this morning and... that's right 5 hours!

What makes you say it took 5 hours? Is that what the MFM Trip & Charge Log shows? The Fusion will continue to draw power from the EVSE to charge the 12V battery as needed. Power may also be drawn to power the fans to cool the HVB.

What makes you say it took 5 hours? Is that what the MFM Trip & Charge Log shows? The Fusion will continue to draw power from the EVSE to charge the 12V battery as needed. Power may also be drawn to power the fans to cool the HVB.

I watched the progress in terms of both % of charge (using myfordmobile) and kwh (using the gewattstation app).  It was charging at about 1kwh/hr as opposed to the ~2.5 kwh/h rate of the level 2 charger.

I watched the progress in terms of both % of charge (using myfordmobile) and kwh (using the gewattstation app).  It was charging at about 1kwh/hr as opposed to the ~2.5 kwh/h rate of the level 2 charger.

That is very strange. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. Isn't the normal rate 3.3 kWh/h? The onboard charger is rated at 3.3 kW.

When you plug your car in, hop back in the car and check the center stack's leaf icon and see what voltage it is detecting.  You can also pull up your Myford Mobile app and see what the charging estimate says.

The only other reason I can think that the car may be throttling your charging rate is battery pack temperature.  If your fans for the pack aren't working, it may halt charging or slow it down.

The charging station itself may be limiting itself due to other vehicles charging... some of them have customizable charging rates (Juicebox for one).

You can also try removing the negative battery cable on your 12V in the trunk, leaving the car sit for a few minutes, and reconnecting it (do this while the vehicle is unplugged).  This should cause all the modules to powercycle themselves.

If all of that fails... dealership trip.

And now it is charging at the slower speed again:  I got 4.5 kwh in 3.5 hrs of charging.  I get the first 4 hours of charge time free here at work, so I moved my car between meetings, that's why I didn't charge it all the way.  Any ideas anyone?

Are the times the same both on your L2 at home & the L2 at work? What network provides the L2 at work? If it's something like ChargePoint you can open their app & see how many kW the EVSE shows your car is pulling.

Do you have access to a BlueTooth OBDII scanner & FORScan on an Android or Windows device (or a WiFi scanner & an iOS device) so that you can read what the car is reporting? The SOBDMC controls charging. Perhaps you need a new SOBDMC.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I'm going to have to take it in.  The charge rate seems to vary on a single ESVE, starting out fast and then slowing down.  2 days ago it charged relatively quickly at home, but then last night it took 5 hours.  The temperatures here have been in the 20's (below freezing), but I suppose that the high capacity battery could still become overheated if the fans were not working properly.  When I had it in for service last week, they did repair some chafing of the battery fan harness wires, perhaps one or more of the wires was inadvertently broken or severed.  Who knows.  Back it goes...