Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Member - 2016 Energi

Canadian_Energi

Thank you. I do enjoy plugging in at work, especially since the car is showing 0.3L/100km... Or 784mpg!?

Obviously I haven't done much driving around other than commuting to work and back in all electric. And I've really gotten used to driving in L.

Edited by Canadian_Energi

Sure. Because my 18km commute is all in the city, with the max speed about 70km/hr, I have been keeping it in L. From what I've read, it's intended to be used similar to Tesla's regular gear, where it decelerates quickly using a higher regen.

It's really nice because I find that I don't have to use the break as much if I'm conscious of stops coming up. And I'm amazed at how sensitive the accelerator pedal is when I'm in L; you can feather it to adjust how slow you're coming to a stop.

I always drive in L.  I also have a Tesla and the accelerator pedal response is very similar.

If you are starting out with a full battery do not shift into L until some of the charge has been used from the battery.  If the battery is full there is no place for regen to go so it will instead spool up the ICE to provide the back pressure.  I start out in D and shift to L after I pass the first traffic light.

If you are starting out with a full battery do not shift into L until some of the charge has been used from the battery. If the battery is full there is no place for regen to go so it will instead spool up the ICE to provide the back pressure. I start out in D and shift to L after I pass the first traffic light.

That is great advice, thank you. I forgot about the regen energy having no where to go.

For those running in "L" mode, please remember one thing. Unlike the Tesla, the Energi does NOT turn on the brake lights when you let off the accelerator in "L". The folks behind you won't realize you are slowing down until they sense how fast you are decellerating. There are no brake lights to warn them.

Personally, I use D except in stop and go slow speed traffic, or when desiring to slow faster coming to a stop, or going down a hill. But I also consider who is behind me.

It is a personal choice. From what I can tell, the car gets better MPG in D than L. The absolute best MPG is pulse and glide, using Neutral, but that is illegal in many states.

Edited by stevedebi

I agree with Murphy. I drove manual transmission vehicles for years (and grudgingly switched to automatic with my F-150 as they didn't have manual in what I wanted, damn them). When driving in L, I have remained conscious of the people behind me and make sure I watch them to ensure they're not getting to close. I do wonder if people who know cars and are following behind are saying to themselves: "I didn't know Fusions come in standard transmission?"

I do agree that D gets better mileage, but I am surprised at how much more I like driving in L. Not having to switch back and forth with between pedals is quite nice, to the point where when I get in an ICE vehicle it's starting to field strange when I let off the accelerator.

The brake lights don't come on in a manual shift car when downshifting to slow down either.

Yes, but only 10 percent of the cars these days are sold with manual transmissions, and they are generally either econoboxes or sports cars. Folks just are not used to it as they once were.

I'm saying not to use L, but to be aware. There is a reason that Tesla put that brake light feature into their cars.

I agree with Murphy. I drove manual transmission vehicles for years (and grudgingly switched to automatic with my F-150 as they didn't have manual in what I wanted, damn them). When driving in L, I have remained conscious of the people behind me and make sure I watch them to ensure they're not getting to close. I do wonder if people who know cars and are following behind are saying to themselves: "I didn't know Fusions come in standard transmission?"

I do agree that D gets better mileage, but I am surprised at how much more I like driving in L. Not having to switch back and forth with between pedals is quite nice, to the point where when I get in an ICE vehicle it's starting to field strange when I let off the accelerator.

I'm keeping my 99 F250 4x4 with the turbo diesel and the manual trans, and will restore it someday.  Love the stick in that thing.

I also keep an eye out behind me in high speed situations, and will give them the light if needed.  But, this car doesn't slow like a Tesla, or even as much as my truck or Falcon for that matter.  I can slow both faster without using the brakes.

I might argue that I get better efficiency in L, simply because I have more control and hardly use the brakes.  I might not win the argument, but we could sit down with a couple of beers and hash it out.  :theband:

Yes, but only 10 percent of the cars these days are sold with manual transmissions, and they are generally either econoboxes or sports cars. Folks just are not used to it as they once were.

I'm saying not to use L, but to be aware. There is a reason that Tesla put that brake light feature into their cars.

According to Edmunds, that figure is now below 4%.  That's sad.  There's something nostalgic about rowing through the gears.  I went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago with my friend in his 2014 GT350 with 675 RWHP and there's just no way that would have been more fun with an automatic or CVT.  And for some eye AND EAR candy, here's Marty blasting up the straight at Spring Mtn, at exactly the same spot I totaled my Boss 302 with him sitting shotgun.   :shift:

I agree with Steve, consider using the brake pedal if you're in L to warn the person behind you.  I realize "you are not worried as much", but imagine he hits you yes its his fault but he just messed up your nice ride and who needs that aggravation, not me!

I use D most of the time, and I can obtain L by using the brake pedal.  I know when too much is too much meaning its using the pads, but most of the time lightly on it as I brake early and slow down slowly.  I only shift to L for "max braking" due to a sudden light change or traffic stop in front of me.  I pad that L with very light brake pressure just enough to see the circles on the battery and that is = to max braking without pads.  Any more on the brake and its digging into the pads.

If there is no-one behind me I use L sometimes coming down a hill to a stop light at the bottom, and then use the brake from 5mph down to zero.  If someone is there behind me use the brake light instead or if I need to use L lightly pad the brake pedal to light up the brake lights.

Just common sense, you know in California everyone (except EV drivers most likely) is driving like a bat out of hell, and, given you have no brake lights its only a matter of time before you end up with something like this:

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4668-bought-a-crashed-2014-energi/

Check the photo in the first post there, and GUESS WHAT, look closely and you see the California EV sticker, yeah, that could be you so be careful!

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort

I'm keeping my 99 F250 4x4 with the turbo diesel and the manual trans, and will restore it someday.  Love the stick in that thing.

I also keep an eye out behind me in high speed situations, and will give them the light if needed.  But, this car doesn't slow like a Tesla, or even as much as my truck or Falcon for that matter.  I can slow both faster without using the brakes.

I might argue that I get better efficiency in L, simply because I have more control and hardly use the brakes.  I might not win the argument, but we could sit down with a couple of beers and hash it out.  :theband:

According to Edmunds, that figure is now below 4%.  That's sad.  There's something nostalgic about rowing through the gears.  I went to Vegas a couple of weeks ago with my friend in his 2014 GT350 with 675 RWHP and there's just no way that would have been more fun with an automatic or CVT.  And for some eye AND EAR candy, here's Marty blasting up the straight at Spring Mtn, at exactly the same spot I totaled my Boss 302 with him sitting shotgun.   :shift:

The brakes are not used on the hybrids that often. I expect I may not need to replace mine until over 100K, based on my former Escape Hybrid. The car engages the regen instead of applying the pads, until the very end of the stop (in L or D). The exception is if the brakes are needed to stop for emergency conditions, like when you slam on the brakes. Then it uses whatever it needs to do to get the car slowed down.

If you drive for efficiency, the brake pads won't see much use.