Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Traded my 2013 Energi. I hope new owner appreciates it.

howardbc

After almost 3 years, I traded my 2013 Ford Fusion Energi . I really want to thank the members of this forum for all their help and feedback for the time I had the car. The car was in mint condition when I traded it. 16,466 miles. I truly loved my FFE but found out I could afford an EV. I started with a hybrid (a Prius), then bought the plugin hybrid FFE, but my ultimate goal was always to get a true EV. I'm at the age where one has "Bucket Lists" and an EV was a dream of mine. 

I always felt sad that Ford didn't enthusiastically "sell" the great things about the FFE, and that the general public isn't educated well enough to appreciate the technology behind the FFE. I really hope the new owner gets good information from a club or someone who really understands the car. I had absolutely no problems with the car except for the 12V battery dying right before I traded it. 

Oddly, I can still follow my car on MFM so I know roughly where it is. 

Thank you again, everyone, for all your feedback. 

Hi, Hybridbear. I was reluctant to say what EV I got because it isn't a Ford and I didn't want to appear to "diss" Ford.

But what I got is a 2016 Tesla Model S with the 70kwh batteries. No, I'm not rich but was very surprised that I could afford to lease it even on my mostly-Social Security income. I got the least expensive model at the time but they just came out with one that is even less. Of course I traded my 2013 FFET and got a very good price for it since it was in mint condition. 

I never in a million years thought I'd be able to even sniff a Tesla but I just had to go for it. My heart still skips a beat every time I see a Fusion and I visualize that car with the battery pack under the floor board but that just wasn't in Ford's plans. 

Thanks.

Hi, Hybridbear. I was reluctant to say what EV I got because it isn't a Ford and I didn't want to appear to "diss" Ford.

But what I got is a 2016 Tesla Model S with the 70kwh batteries. No, I'm not rich but was very surprised that I could afford to lease it even on my mostly-Social Security income. I got the least expensive model at the time but they just came out with one that is even less. Of course I traded my 2013 FFET and got a very good price for it since it was in mint condition. 

I never in a million years thought I'd be able to even sniff a Tesla but I just had to go for it. My heart still skips a beat every time I see a Fusion and I visualize that car with the battery pack under the floor board but that just wasn't in Ford's plans. 

Thanks.

That's awesome! I am strongly leaning toward a Model S as my next car, but I'm inclined to try to wait right now since I expect the AP 2.0 hardware to be released soon. I don't want to end up in a spot of buying a Model S this winter just to have them introduce the AP 2.0 hardware a couple weeks/months later.

Thanks.

I must admit, I cheered a little when I read this. :) I've really enjoyed your participation on the forum, and I hope you are having as much fun with the Tesla as I think I would! No need to worry about dissing Ford, they're not even in the same league as Tesla. 

Enjoy your new wheels! :)

Thanks, flyingcheesehead, and everyone, for the kind words.

Yes, I am enjoying my Tesla Model S very much. The whole leasing and delivery process was so different from your typical dealership - I'm sorry to say. The car drives/rides so smoothly, the regenerative braking is very strong, and even my 70 kw has unbelievable power and torque. I have met so many very nice fellow Tesla owners since I got the S in March. Have gone on road trips. Lots of fun and camaraderie. Then there's the whole thing of NEVER having to stop at a gas station or for an oil change. The emissions sticker is good for 5 years. Car-pool lane access.

I charge using the 30-amp outlet for my clothes dryer. My solar panels take care of the electricity. The batteries will charge up to 230 miles but I normally keep it at around 190. That's more than enough just for running around town. But for longer trips the SuperCharger system is fantastic. 

Still, when I look at a Ford Fusion, I feel a sense of sadness because THAT could have been Ford's "Tesla Model 3." It's the right size. But the corporate commitment just wasn't there. Hopefully Ford will catch up. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is so true for some of the public. I consider myself somewhat a techie and didn't know about the Energi model and I have owned a few hybrids. Granted I don't peruse dealer showrooms because I buy mostly pre driven cars from private owners or auctions but my buddy who is a Ford mechanic recently told me about the model and after looking online for a few days I am preparing to get my own Energi (pre driven of course lol). I have a RV so have a 220v outlet at home and plan to "tap" into a spare 120v outlet at work and see if I can drive without foreign oil dependence lol

"I always felt sad that Ford didn't enthusiastically "sell" the great things about the FFE, and that the general public isn't educated well enough to appreciate the technology behind the FFE."

'Wishing you all the best, rowekmr. After my 2013 FFET was sold to the wholesaler, I was able to "follow" it (via the MyFordMobile app) to a car lot Chicago where it sat for a long time. Then it went to the Denver area where it appeared to be in a residential area. It was a "cream puff." Low mileage, excellent condition. The 12v battery did die on me but that was the only problem I ever had with it. After 3 years I was averaging 97MPG. I only used the 120 wall outlet in my garage to charge it. 

Let us know what you get. 

'Wishing you all the best, rowekmr. After my 2013 FFET was sold to the wholesaler, I was able to "follow" it (via the MyFordMobile app) to a car lot Chicago where it sat for a long time. Then it went to the Denver area where it appeared to be in a residential area. It was a "cream puff." Low mileage, excellent condition. The 12v battery did die on me but that was the only problem I ever had with it. After 3 years I was averaging 97MPG. I only used the 120 wall outlet in my garage to charge it. 

Let us know what you get. 

I did the same with my 2013 (we still have my wife's 2013), followed it on MFM and saw that it is now located and owned by someone about 100 miles away near Baltimore, watched it for a few days (10 mile drive into Baltimore for work and then back home, a good use case so good for them) then dropped the car from my account as I felt too much like a voyeur.... but if the situation was like yours where it had not settled in with a new owner I would have kept following mine out of curiosity too!

Edited by jeff_h

Hi, jeff_h. That is so funny! I too felt like a voyeur but then also deleted my MyFordMobile account and app after my 2013 FFET appeared to have been finally sold. I was curious too and also felt some sadness and hoped it would go to a good home. Silly, I know.

But I'm kind of surprised that Ford doesn't immediately delete the account for cars that have been sold. I could have sounded the horn or done other things. (I didn't but I suppose it was possible.) 

I would love to know who bought the car and how they're doing with it but I guess that's not possible. 

I'm surprised you can keep watching a call and have control over the locks and alarm.  I have a GMC Acadia with the OnStar app and every so often when I log in it will popup with something like  "For security purposes, do you still own this vehicle"  Yes, No.  No states it will begin deactivation of the account.  Of course you could lie and say you still own it, but again, why would you...

• 2 weeks later...