Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Oem Charger

My14Energi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My original OEM charger got fried by a lightening strike that was close to the house.  I was lucky it didn't flow in to the car and do something to the car's inverter or something.  Anyway, I ended up getting a replacement 120v 12Amp from ClipperCreek as it was much less costly than getting it from Ford. ($390 ClipperCreek vs. $600 Ford)  So far it's doing great.  I have added a surge suppressor between the wall outlet and the charger, but it keeps melting the surge suppressor even though it's rated at 15 Amps continuous.  I guess I need to try a different brand surge suppressor or maybe try to find a 20 Amp suppressor.   

My original OEM charger got fried by a lightening strike that was close to the house.  I was lucky it didn't flow in to the car and do something to the car's inverter or something.  Anyway, I ended up getting a replacement 120v 12Amp from ClipperCreek as it was much less costly than getting it from Ford. ($390 ClipperCreek vs. $600 Ford)  So far it's doing great.  I have added a surge suppressor between the wall outlet and the charger, but it keeps melting the surge suppressor even though it's rated at 15 Amps continuous.  I guess I need to try a different brand surge suppressor or maybe try to find a 20 Amp suppressor.   

I thought I saw somewhere that Clipper Creek makes the Ford OEM charger. If that's true it would explain why they have nearly identical designs. That doesn't surprise me about the surge protector. This seems to be a common problem with electrical products. They say they're rated for 15A circuits, but a lot seem to fail with this constant 12A load. I had a Kill-a-watt meter that suffered the same fate. Let us know if you find a quality product.

Edited by bdginmo