Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Car in shop for HV battery inspection

dlb92

So my car has been in the shop for 3 days and counting.  They are sending information to the engineers at Ford regarding my battery to see if it will be replaced.  I have only 32,000 miles and I've been getting 4.0Kwh as measured by the system after driving for the last several weeks.  First they said the cooling door was not opening so they fixed that. 

Now they have done a full decharge/recharge and they said they recorded 4.3Kwh to charge the battery from empty to full.  Does anyone have any insight into what that means? If that is measured from the wall outlet that is really low isn't it considering efficiency loss?  Does anyone know if they measure it from the wall or the battery side?

Edited by dlb92

My guess is that you expended 4.0kWh for your driving, and it took 4.3kWh to recharge it since there is a normal loss of efficiency in charging any battery, but I don't know what the normal expected loss rate is.

I looked back at old threads and an empty battery takes 8kwh to recharge considering a 72% efficiency loss.

Edited by dlb92

• 2 weeks later...

So after a 3 week journey, here is Ford's joke of a response to 33% battery degradation after 32,500 miles / 3 years. (I charge once a day and keep battery half full for 10 hours out of the day, but I live in Florida where it is always hot. My average speed for the last 3 years has been a painful 45mph, all for nothing). 

Keep an eye on this forum and the cmaxenergiforum as there may be some class action litigation going on in the future for those of you with high voltage battery issues.

Ford's response to battery degradation

Edited by dlb92