Ford Fusion Energi Forum

12 volt Batery dead - Telematics Control Unit

Phatman

So I experienced the 12 volt battery drain then no srart. Following tips from this forum, I was able to unlock the car jump the 12 volt battery and brought into dealership. I also brought along the TSB 16-0023 recommendations to the dealership. They tested and agreed it was the faulty TCU that caused the battery drain. Since my 2013 Fusion Energi is out of the 3 years/36k miles warranty, I have to fork out $910 for the fix. This is truly insane! After reading this forum, this is a known problem for the 2013 Fusion Energi. Why is there no a recall on this? I would love to hear from any of you who had to pay out of pocket for this. I love my Energi and even thinking about getting a second Ford vehicle because of my experience with this Ford product. I am now having second thoughts. Also, if there's a Ford Rep here in the Forum I would like your input on the no recall on this item. Thanks all for this fanstastic forum!

Others have reported that Ford is coming out with a new TCU to replace the old 2G TCU.  The replacement is supposed to be free.  If the dealer had waited to replace the TCU, you might have been able to replace it without cost.  If the dealer replaced the TCU with another 2G TCU, that is really dumb.  ATT is dropping its 2G network by the end of this year.  It is going to have to be replaced again after ATT completely drops its support for 2G.

Just a comment about recalls... those are done for safety reasons only.  If they find something that may result in an unsafe condition (or the feds do), such as the door tab concern, those usually lead to a recall to replace a defective part.  A TCU does not impede or improve safety within a car, so if they find that items like this go faulty often enough, Ford will issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to draw eyes to what is a most likely culprit of a problem.  However, TSBs do not equal Warranty either.  TSBs are likely intended for the mechanics to work with to speed along the repair process.  Repeat conditions usually result in TSBs. 

In certain cases, a warranty extension will be issued, such as in the case of my girlfriend's 2012 Ford Focus transmission.  There is a defective seal within the transmission that fails, and because it is an extremely expensive procedure to repair that seal, and because enough people had this problem (and probably got sued a few times), Ford chose to extend the warranty of that transmission to something like 7 years, 100k miles.

In my case TSB 14-0155 for the C-Max Energi had this:

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

I would think the same would apply to Fusion Energi.

Dealer replaced it at no cost when they did the replacement RCM recall. This was within the 3 year original warranty so that may have something to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Others have reported that Ford is coming out with a new TCU to replace the old 2G TCU.  The replacement is supposed to be free.  If the dealer had waited to replace the TCU, you might have been able to replace it without cost.  If the dealer replaced the TCU with another 2G TCU, that is really dumb.  ATT is dropping its 2G network by the end of this year.  It is going to have to be replaced again after ATT completely drops its support for 2G.

I just got a letter in the mail from Ford today stating that they will replace the TCU modem for free of charge (parts and labor).  Thanks Larry for this info.  This saved me about $900.