Ford Fusion Energi Forum

110v vs 240v charging efficiency?

EnergiAustin

We just got a new Energi. We've been using the 110v charger, but we're looking at getting a 240v charger cord that plugs into our dryer plug (we have one in the garage).

My question is can anyone tell me the kWh to get a full charge on 110 versus the kWh to get a full charge on 240 (assuming battery started "empty" at the beginning of each charge)? My understanding is that it takes less kWh for the 240 because the current is delivery with less waste (ie, more efficiently).

And while we're here, what's the best value for a 240v charger cord that plugs into a dryer plug. (We don't want to pay the high costs of an installed 240v charging station.)

Thanks!

Edited by jeff_h

We just got a new Energi. We've been using the 110v charger, but we're looking at getting a 240v charger cord that plugs into our dryer plug (we have one in the garage).

My question is can anyone tell me the kWh to get a full charge on 110 versus the kWh to get a full carge on 240 (assuming battery started "empty" at the beginning of each charge)? My understanding is that it takes less kWh for the 240 because the current is delivery with less waste (ie, more efficiently).

And while we'43 here, what's the best value for a 240v charger cord that plugs into a dryer plug. (We don't want to pay the high costs of an installed 240v charging station.)

Thanks!

The 120 cord is approximately 72% efficient and the 240 around 80%.  If a full charge is 5.8kwh it would take 8kwh for the 120 and 7.25kwh for the 240.

Edited by JATR4

And while we're here, what's the best value for a 240v charger cord that plugs into a dryer plug. (We don't want to pay the high costs of an installed 240v charging station.)

Many 240v chargers can be installed with a plug into an outlet or be direct wired. My Siemens Versacharge came with a plug and instructions on how to remove it. Be aware that some brands will sell the same charger with slight differences in model number that indicate whether it includes the plug or not. I think that was the case with mine but for some reason the one with the plug was cheaper.