Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Strange new charging/MFM problem

EnergiCCAATS

I have a strange new problem with my 2015 Energi during charging.  At first I thought it was MFM related as over this past weekend, both our Energi's quit connecting to MFM.  I could log in, but neither car would update status, location etc and it was that way for a couple days.  On Tuesday, my wife's 2014 came "back to life" on MFM and is now communicating and updating fine. However, my 2015 is NOT communicating at all and hasn't updated since last Friday.  HOWEVER, the charging issue my 2015 is having is this.  It will charge fine, the "power" display on the screen inside the car will indicate SOC correctly, etc.  However, once charge is finished, the car just goes back and forth between turning off/turning on charge (I can tell because I can hear the relay in my Clipper Creek EVSE at home disengage/immediately re-engage and I can also hear the relay under the hood disengage and immediately re-engage).  This happens dozens of times and I have left plugged in for several hours after battery is fully charged and it just keeps doing this indefinitely until I finally unplug.  It does the same thing with the Ford 115V charger.  And, it still won't update on MFM.  Anybody experienced something similar?

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

Last weekend my car also failed to update properly with MFM.  I ended up with a dead 12 V battery on Tuesday morning.  Maybe you want to pull the fuse and reset the TCU and hopefully the car will begin communicating again with MFM.  Is it possible that the car is attempting to charge the 12 V battery rather than the HVB?  Is the TCU draining the 12 V battery?

Last weekend my car also failed to update properly with MFM.  I ended up with a dead 12 V battery on Tuesday morning.  Maybe you want to pull the fuse and reset the TCU and hopefully the car will begin communicating again with MFM.  Is it possible that the car is attempting to charge the 12 V battery rather than the HVB?  Is the TCU draining the 12 V battery?

Interesting, because I got a "12V battery is low" alert on our 2014 last Tuesday when it started communicating to MFM after the weekend hiatus, however there was no indication it was low.  I immediately plugged it in when getting the alert (it was fully charged) and it made no attempt to connect/charge the 12V battery and have had no other issues.  I think that was a "glitch"in MFM when it came back online.

I am still not getting any connection of the 2015 to MFM and it's still doing the weird charging issue - after fully charging, it constantly disconnects/reconnects to the EVSE over and over and over again (about every 90 seconds).  

Does MyFordMobile coverage "end" at 36K miles unless FordESP is purchased?  Just curious, because the MFM connection on my 2015 stopped shortly after I passed 36,000 miles.  I have FordESP on the 2014, but not the 2015.

I do not know what modem is on the 2015 Fusion, but my 2013 has a 2G modem on it and it stopped working in large areas several months ago (one of those areas being home). By the end of November I think it will no longer work anywhere. 

Does MyFordMobile coverage "end" at 36K miles unless FordESP is purchased?  Just curious, because the MFM connection on my 2015 stopped shortly after I passed 36,000 miles.  I have FordESP on the 2014, but not the 2015.

I replied to your PM including an answer to this question.  Check it out!

Cara

Check cwstnsko's post above. http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/4348-strange-new-chargingmfm-problem/?p=26828

I went to owner.ford.com and found the FSA listed for my car! Yeah Ford!

FSA Title: EMBEDDED MODEM REPLACEMENT
Field Service Action Number: 15N04

I called my local dealer and confirmed that they will be replacing the model, just need to see if they have the part in stock. 

Basically the issue is that the cell companies are phasing out 2G communication, so if you are getting sporadic communication with your car then you are driving in and out of areas that still have 2G service. It will be gone everywhere by the end of the year.

On another topic, my home security system also had one of these 2G modems and it had to be replaced... If you have a security system that is using cell as either the primary or backup you might want to test your system!

Inquiring minds want to know.... Can you post the answer here to share with the rest of us?

Hey TX NRG,

Sure thing!  The MyFord Mobile application is included within the vehicle purchase for a period of 5 years from the date of vehicle manufacture.  Ongoing costs for the MyFord Mobile application have not been determined at this time.

Cara

Check owner.ford.com, the should be a Field Service Action (15N04?) loaded against your VIN to replace the 2G modem with a new 3G modem.

That's interesting because I am finding that FSA on both our 2014 and 2015 FFEs, but my wife's 2014 is still communicating and my 2015 isn't and neither has been updated.  Maybe when they update the modem in my 2015, they can fix what's wrong.  Still wondering if the MFM communication failure is what's causing my car's charging system to constantly engage/disengage for several minutes multiple times after charging is complete.

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

That's interesting because I am finding that FSA on both our 2014 and 2015 FFEs, but my wife's 2014 is still communicating and my 2015 isn't and neither has been updated.  Maybe when they update the modem in my 2015, they can fix what's wrong.  Still wondering if the MFM communication failure is what's causing my car's charging system to constantly engage/disengage for several minutes multiple times after charging is complete.

It could be that your TCU/modem has gone bad and needs to be reset or replaced in order to connect again to MFM. It will try repeatedly and drain your 12V battery if not plugged in and if your battery is old. It could be re-engaging the EVSE to charge the 12V. The FSA 15N04 replaces the TCU/Modem with a 3G one. There was a 2015 TSB, later superseded by a 2016 TSB, to replace faulty TCUs that were causing drained 12V batteries. That TSB also involved insulating some cables in the left trunk coming from the 12V to the HVB fans.

I just got my 2013 FFE back today after my TCU/modem was replaced with the 3G once they got the parts and installed a new 12V battery. My TCU apparently failed as it went 9 days without connecting to MFM and drained/finished off the original 12V battery when I didn't leave it plugged in one night last weekend. The wife's 2015 CMax Energi had no MFM connection problems during that period parked right next to mine so it wasn't a 2G coverage issue. Hers is due for the same FSA 3G modem upgrade and I'll make sure they get the parts in before I bring it to the shop for the 2 hour replacement job.

Well, lo and behold.....just had the 12V battery replaced in my WIFE'S 2014 today.  I mentioned that it had given us a "low 12V battery alarm" a couple weeks ago....same time as my 2015 started having it's MFM and charging issues, and it gave several warnings yesterday and even showed up on the center stack screen so I took it by and they said it had a dead cell.  They didn't have the modem, so will have to do the FSA on hers later.  I REALLY wonder if the 2G modem issue didn't kill her battery, but I saw him hook up the battery monitor and it said it had a bad cell, which I guess just randomly happened.  $129 for a new one.  

Update on my 2015. After pulling the TCU fuse didn't fix my MFM communication problem on my 2015, I decided to disconnect the 12V battery for 10 mins tonight and I think I've gotten the TCU back alive. I got the MFM confirmation message on the screen so that's a good sign. Hopefully it will also solve the clicking off and on at end of charging cycle.