Ford Fusion Energi Forum

My Go Time

Vintre

Hello All,

First thread!

2017 FFE.  Just picked it up a week ago.  Love it and learning lots.

Trying to set the My Go Time.

I think I set My Go Time.  I set it to 15 minutes before I leave.

I want to test if I will still have 100% after the 15 minute start so I tried it tonite.

I did not notice any difference on the outside of the car that the My Go Time was working, so my question is, how do you know if it is working?

I did not notice a difference in the cabin temperature either.

Thanks for the help.

Vin

It depends on what is needed, heat or air conditioning.  If the air conditioner runs the sound from outside of the car is loud.  If heat is needed there is no sound other than the blower motor since the heat comes from a resistance heater.  If neither heat nor air conditioning is needed, nothing will happen.

The easiest way to verify that it is working is to be at the car during the time it should be working and observe that the EVSE is indicating that the car is charging. 

It does not work very well with the 120 volt EVSE (max of 1440 watts) that came with the car.  It works much better with a 240 volt EVSE (max of 3840 watts).

It depends on what is needed, heat or air conditioning.  If the air conditioner runs the sound from outside of the car is loud.  If heat is needed there is no sound other than the blower motor since the heat comes from a resistance heater.  If neither heat nor air conditioning is needed, nothing will happen.

The easiest way to verify that it is working is to be at the car during the time it should be working and observe that the EVSE is indicating that the car is charging. 

It does not work very well with the 120 volt EVSE (max of 1440 watts) that came with the car.  It works much better with a 240 volt EVSE (max of 3840 watts).

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am using the 120V EVSE that came with the car.  Its getting colder up here in Ontario, so yes, I was hoping for the heat to come on.

I will see if its working tomorrow.

Another question, is the "GO TIME" defined as the time you are leaving or the time you want the car to start?

Thanks again,

Vin

The GO time is the time that you want to leave.  It will begin heating the car about 30 minutes before that time.  The engine is not involved in this process so the car is not actually "starting".  It is power being drawn from the EVSE to run the resistance heater.  Use the highest temperature setting so it heats for the maximum time.

Yes, I am using the 120V EVSE that came with the car.  Its getting colder up here in Ontario, so yes, I was hoping for the heat to come on.

FYI - the 120V EVSE that came with the car is not sufficient to handle the GO Time heating needed for the car when it gets cold, it will do all it can but some of the HVB will still be used.

FYI - the 120V EVSE that came with the car is not sufficient to handle the GO Time heating needed for the car when it gets cold, it will do all it can but some of the HVB will still be used.

Thank you for the replies.

Ok, I understand, the GO time is the time you "GO".

I went out this morning and saw that the EVSE was blinking, meaning that it was charging during the warm up phase.

Unfortunately, the car was cold, so looks like the EVSE is not powerful enough as you say.  Thats too bad, I like that feature.

On another note, what is "HVB" ?  Still learning here.

Thank you again.

Vin

Edited by Vintre

I got it, HVB is High Voltage Battery.

And yes, when I got in this morning after charging all night, the distance I could travel was 29kms when usually after a full night charge it reads 30km or 31kms.

My daily commute uses 100% of the charge.

Since its not helping to get the cabin warm, I am going to turn this feature off and preserve the HVB.

Very happy with the car so far.

Vin

When you set the go time, did you also make sure you set the cabin temp?  I set it for 72F on my 115v EVSE and it does take away some distance on the battery, but it is still nicer getting into the car with it warmer than if I hadn't used it.  I would have to kick the heat on when I drive anyway which will kill the battery faster anyway.

When you set the go time, did you also make sure you set the cabin temp?  I set it for 72F on my 115v EVSE and it does take away some distance on the battery, but it is still nicer getting into the car with it warmer than if I hadn't used it.  I would have to kick the heat on when I drive anyway which will kill the battery faster anyway.

Yes, I set it to 72F same as you.

Didnt seem to work as the cabin was pretty fresh this morning.

I dont think its working that well with my set up.

Wish it would though.

Vin

Update from this morning.

I can see the charger blinking.  The "P" is illuminated on the shifter.  Charge ring on the outside of the car is not on (not sure if it is supposed to be).

I still have a full charge when I get in the vehicle.

Cabin isnt cold, but isnt toasty either like I would expect stetting it to 85F.

Vents are not hot but not cold and "I think" I can feel the faintest of air movement.

I am beginning to think that my issue is that I am using the charging cord that came with the vehicle and not a 240V.

Although I did check to see if I am up to date, I will mention this when I go to the dealer next and ensure I have the latest software updates.  

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Vin

Update from this morning.

I can see the charger blinking.  The "P" is illuminated on the shifter.  Charge ring on the outside of the car is not on (not sure if it is supposed to be).

I still have a full charge when I get in the vehicle.

Cabin isnt cold, but isnt toasty either like I would expect stetting it to 85F.

Vents are not hot but not cold and "I think" I can feel the faintest of air movement.

I am beginning to think that my issue is that I am using the charging cord that came with the vehicle and not a 240V.

Although I did check to see if I am up to date, I will mention this when I go to the dealer next and ensure I have the latest software updates.  

Sincerely,

Vin

Murphy told you in post #2 above that the 120v cable is not adequate for warming the car.  Software updates won't change the inadequacies of the 120v cable.

Thank you, I think it could be part of the problem.

Post #8 from timewelspent has told us that he uses the 120V cable and it works.

Vin

I should clarify.  It works to take the chill off.  It does not get to the 72F temp and for sure won't get to 85, but better than not using at all is the way I see it for my comfort, since I don't have the option to get the 240V EVSE at home.

Do you have an infrared thermometer?  Hang a sheet of aluminum foil, so that it is dangling in the breeze, in the center of the cabin.  Use the IR thermometer to measure the temperature of the foil before heating starts and again after it is done through the driver window.  That will tell you how much of a temperature rise you are getting.

Yes - find a 240V charger nearby and do a test this weekend: if you can get to the 240V by 8am (for example) then set the GO Time of 72F for 8:45am (or 45 minutes after you arrive) and shut down car and take a walk for a few minutes (or if there is a 240V at the dealer then go in for a cup of coffee) and then come out and if it's working properly you will definitely hear the HVAC system working and you can open the door and feel warm air coming out of the vents.  At least that should give some confidence that it's the 120V EVSE that came with the car just not having enough oomph to get the job done properly, rather than the GO Time not working due to something else.

I'll say this - the latest software calibration on mine has vastly silenced the car during a go-time... you barely hear anything running if it's doing just the heat.  It seems to have put the blower on a low setting and quiet start is not enabled (but that should only impact the remote start).  If I remote start the car, the blower comes on high and stays there until I actually start the car.  Then automatic blower control takes over.

I have mine set up for a go-time tomorrow morning since it's expected to be 33F... a bit too cold for my liking. :)

Well it was -1C or 30F this morning.

I had a bit of a breakthrough.

Since it was so cold when I went out I noticed all the cars front windshields were frosted over.  All, but the FFE.  My window was clear.

There was definitely no rush of warm air when I opened the door nor was the cabin toasty, but it must have been heated enough to defrost the front windshield.

Vin

I've found that L1 (120V) charging is sufficient to heat the cabin when it's in my garage. If you're parked outside, the movement of air around the car and radiation through the windows will cause it to lose heat much faster.

240V is the way to go if you can get it, but 120V will work. I hate when I see people skip buying the Energi because they can't/won't get 240V where they park. I use 120V and it works just fine. I did get a portable L1/L2 from EV Institute with several different plug adapters (two from them, two more I made myself) so I can charge just about anywhere, but it's rare that I get to plug into 240V.

I've found that L1 (120V) charging is sufficient to heat the cabin when it's in my garage. If you're parked outside, the movement of air around the car and radiation through the windows will cause it to lose heat much faster.

240V is the way to go if you can get it, but 120V will work. I hate when I see people skip buying the Energi because they can't/won't get 240V where they park. I use 120V and it works just fine. I did get a portable L1/L2 from EV Institute with several different plug adapters (two from them, two more I made myself) so I can charge just about anywhere, but it's rare that I get to plug into 240V.

Thank you.

I should have mentioned that I do park outside not in a garage.

IMHO, installing a 240V outlet at home is not that expensive.  I dont know about other areas, but here in Ontario, we can get up to 50% or $500 rebate on the installation cost.

Im leaning towards that as this morning I had to use the heater (yes, I used the seat warmers as well, but it wasnt enough) and that really cut into my EV distance.

Still learning here and there is lots to learn, so thanks to everyone for their help.

Vin