Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Dealer Lost Charger / Charger Recommendations

zsetley

Hi everyone! Newbie here.  :baby:

We purchased a 2014 Energi Titanium two weeks ago with roughly 25k miles on it from a used car dealership in Cleveland, OH. I noticed the charger cable was not in the truck and was told one would be ordered and sent to me. Well, after a week I called the service dept. to get an ETA and they said "they're still looking" for one. Sounds to me like they're looking for a used one and are either not finding one, or not finding one cheap enough. :waiting:

So while I wait for it, I am researching other cables and charging station options. 

We do not own our home (my husband's job provides housing) so a hardwired installation in the garage isn't feasible. We do - I believe - have 240v access from old window units, and our fuse box is brand new and in the garage. 

Where can I get an inexpensive but quality cable to use at home? Which brands do you recommend? Are Ford ones available outside of the dealer? 

We really like it so far - and would LOVE IT if we could start driving it in EV now mode. My husband's commute is less than a half mile.

And help and suggestions are appreciated! :woot:

The unit that comes with the car is 120 volts only and take over 5 hours to charge the battery.  A 240 volt unit will charge the battery in a little over 2 hours plus it gives useful preheating in the winter time. 

Just to be sure, did you remove the carpet in the lower part of the trunk?  The charger and an air compressor with built in tire sealant should be there.

Also be sure to register the car with Ford at

https://owner.ford.com

There is an outstanding recall to upgrade the modem, that allows My Ford Mobile to work, from 2G service to 3G service.  As of December 31, 2016 AT&T is shutting down 2G service and the original modem will no longer work.

Any unit that has a J-1772 connector, with the possible exception of early Nissan LEAF units should work.

Here is one example

https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/lcs-20-lcs-20p-16-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station

240 volts at 16 amps is the most the car can use although any station that can handle more than that will work.

Thank you! We did register it, and just took it to the dealer yesterday for the modem replacement. It took them about two hours to install along with making a second smart key. 

I did in fact check the trunk during the test drive and that's how I knew to ask for it :2thumbs:  I'm not pleased that they're not getting one ASAP.  :gaah:

Thank you for the connector info. That will be a big help! I think a 240 is the way to go if I can find one affordable enough.

We will be in the market for another vehicle next spring and I'm thinking it may be another plug-in hybrid! I hear Chrysler is making a plugin hybrid minivan and that would be great if we can afford it. 

We will be in the market for another vehicle next spring and I'm thinking it may be another plug-in hybrid! I hear Chrysler is making a plugin hybrid minivan and that would be great if we can afford it. 

Well I hope they come up with your EVSE soon, but it doesn't sound too promising.

I think the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV was supposed to be available in late 2016 but the date seems to be slipping to the right as I don't think it is available yet.  Same status for the Mistibushi Outlander PHEV Crossover which has been available in Europe for a while now and was supposed to be available in the U.S. by late 2016 but I think that keeps slipping to the right as well.

Unfortunately once that sales contract is signed and you drive off the lot the dealer is no longer obligated to provide that charger or anything extra that ISNT specifically stated in the sales contract. When i bought my '14 in july it didnt have its charger and i didnt leave the lot until they came up with one because i knew they can deny it after the fact. It'd be a shitty thing to do to a customer but unfortunately at this point its just a good will thing on their part for you.

Btw....the sales guy ended up going out to the lot and took the charger out of a brand new Energi to put in mine. So its seems that missing/go grab another routine will continue at my dealer.

Btw....the sales guy ended up going out to the lot and took the charger out of a brand new Energi to put in mine. So its seems that missing/go grab another routine will continue at my dealer.

Many salesmen have been doing this with floor mats and cargo nets for as long as they have been selling cars, I guess it's not so surprising that they would do it with these too.  it's definitely not right... just not so surprising.

Unfortunately once that sales contract is signed and you drive off the lot the dealer is no longer obligated to provide that charger or anything extra that ISNT specifically stated in the sales contract. When i bought my '14 in july it didnt have its charger and i didnt leave the lot until they came up with one because i knew they can deny it after the fact. It'd be a shitty thing to do to a customer but unfortunately at this point its just a good will thing on their part for you.

I have a signed "WE OWE" order from them! I knew if I left without an written agreement that they owed me one I would likely never see it!

The Chrysler Pacifica with plug in Electric should be out soon, they are taking pre-orders currently. The amazing thing is that since it qualifies for the full $7500 tax rebate, the fully loaded platinum version is CHEAPER (by $10k) then the equivalent gas only version! Still not cheap at just under $40k (after rebate if you qualify) but still for 30 mile range, and 30mpg in normal hybrid operation thats impressive.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-might-end-up-cheaper-1789043631

The Chrysler Pacifica with plug in Electric should be out soon, they are taking pre-orders currently. The amazing thing is that since it qualifies for the full $7500 tax rebate, the fully loaded platinum version is CHEAPER (by $10k) then the equivalent gas only version! Still not cheap at just under $40k (after rebate if you qualify) but still for 30 mile range, and 30mpg in normal hybrid operation thats impressive.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-might-end-up-cheaper-1789043631

Thank you Rexracer! that's great news! Let's hope there aren't too many kinks to be worked out. I am a little more confident knowing that Chrysler has made a electric plug in van before. I hear the Volvo XC90 has had a lot of bugs leaving people stranded. 

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post about it, because it was Thanksgiving week, but the dealer ordered me a brand new Ford charger and shipped it to my house. 

Now that the weather has dropped here in NW Ohio I'm looking at how to best winterize and how to get the best fuel economy. I'd love to get a Clipper Creek charger, especially if we can get a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid, but that will have to wait. Maybe when our tax return arrives??  :future: