Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Trying To Make Sense Of The Numbers

garymkrieg

I have a 2015 Fusion Energi.  My quest is to know what fuel mileage I'm getting when the engine is running and also determine how many miles I drove using the engine, with the battery helping of course.  Here are the numbers when I filled up yesterday putting in 12.1 gallons:

Trip 1

2689.3 mi     448.0EV

2391. MPG   541 kWh

We know that the numbers go back to zero when you reach 999.  We know that 448 EV is not correct because that would mean that I got over 180 mpg when the engine was running, ie (2689-448)/12. If we add 1000 to the EV number making it 1448 it yields an average over 100 MPG, ie (2689-1448)/12, again probably not accurate. So let's add another 1000 to the EV giving me 2448. That gives an average about 20 MPG when the engine is running. Using that information 12 gallons x 20MPG gives me the fact that the engine was running for about 240 miles.

Am I thinking about this correctly? The last scenario where I used 2448 EV miles yields a miles / kW of 4.5 and with a 7+kW battery it means that I averaged 31 miles per full discharge, which sounds high to me.  What am I doing wrong?

Gary