Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2017 Energi Platinum vs. 2015 Energi Titanium

thinkcooper

I just turned in my two year leased 2015 Energi Titanium with 35K miles for a new 2017 Energi Platinum a week ago. It's equipped with the full Platinum options, obviously, and the larger 18" wheels. What an awesome upgrade.

- I'm really digging Carplay and Android Auto - I carry both an iPhone 6 and Samsung Edge S7, and the transitions between listening to my local NPR streaming station and sending a text or taking a call always seemed to drop the NPR app's audio when using the 2015's version of Sync. Now it just resumes without hesitation in the 2017. And the sound? Decent bass, crisp mids and not overly bright highs. Very nice.

- The suspension felt very underdamped in my 2015. I commute over an extremely twisty mountain highway (CA state 17) in the SF Bay area called one of the deadliest highways in the US. The 2015 would sometimes wallow in corners and oscillate 2-3 times before settling. Not confidence inspiring on a damp, 60mph hairpin. Conversely, the 2017 is a single squat then it settles. Excellent.

- My 2015 Titanium did not have adaptive cruise control or front collision detection. These are game changing for commuters. I drove to SF last night for a meeting, in bumper to bumper on 280 up the peninsula, and adaptive cruise was epic. I experimented with distances between the car in front, medium speed sets, higher speed sets, and I really dig it.

- Outward appearances aren't massively different between the years, but the subtle face lift is nice. I like the led headlight brows. The chrome headlight surrounds and fog light housings are a nice accent as well. Interior changes? The climate control layout is much improved, the toggles to enable hill assist, EV now, etc. are well placed. The electric steering wheel switch makes for a precise adjustment.

- Exhaust note is improved too. I understand there is better insulation between the years, but I also think they modified the shift points when climbing a steep fast grade, and the exhaust doesn't sound like the engine is wailing as it it drops a gear. 

Anyway - I'm stoked with the change.

post-158-0-15940800-1481779346_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-57418500-1481779347_thumb.jpg

Edited by thinkcooper

Very nice!  And you are so right - Adaptive Cruise is so handy for commuters.

Where is the button for the fuel door release on the 2017?  On the 2013 (and I assume the 2015) it was not in a convenient location and my wife would get in the passenger seat and her purse would often hit the fuel door button and drive us both nuts.  I hope they found a better place to put that one.

Very nice! And you are so right - Adaptive Cruise is so handy for commuters.

Where is the button for the fuel door release on the 2017? On the 2013 (and I assume the 2015) it was not in a convenient location and my wife would get in the passenger seat and her purse would often hit the fuel door button and drive us both nuts. I hope they found a better place to put that one.

How right you are on the prior location of the fuel door button. On my 2015 I pressed it a couple of times mistakenly when trying to toggle through EV now to use battery later in my commute. On the 2017, the fuel door button is besdie your left leg, on the driver's door panel. Took a little scanning to find it yesterday at my first refuel, but no worries hitting it by mistake.

Edited by thinkcooper

Awesome to hear the adaptive cruise was helpful.  Did you go "all in" and try the traffic jam "stop-and-go" feature?  I haven't seen that available on other vehicles (doesn't mean it isn't out there).

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go

When Fusion is in cruise mode, a radar sensor detects slowing traffic ahead and can automatically brake and accelerate to keep you moving with the pace of traffic10. With the addition of stop-and-go, the feature can bring your vehicle to a complete stop in stopped traffic and restart it as traffic begins to move.

Awesome to hear the adaptive cruise was helpful.  Did you go "all in" and try the traffic jam "stop-and-go" feature?  I haven't seen that available on other vehicles (doesn't mean it isn't out there).

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go

When Fusion is in cruise mode, a radar sensor detects slowing traffic ahead and can automatically brake and accelerate to keep you moving with the pace of traffic10. With the addition of stop-and-go, the feature can bring your vehicle to a complete stop in stopped traffic and restart it as traffic begins to move.

It was all-in - stop and go traffic... and amazing. I ended up adjusting the follow range from 1 to 3 bars to test, at speeds ranging from low (30mph) to high (60mph). Traffic rolled to a complete stop, but never for more than a second, but completely stopped. The resume feature was great and worked exactly as advertised, it followed the car in front as soon as it started moving. It wasn't as smooth as I would drive in traffic, nor could it brake to a complete stop as smoothly as I would, but it was totally usable. All I did was manage the steering wheel. As close to a self driving experience as I've ever had. Loved it.

Edited by thinkcooper

Where is the button for the fuel door release on the 2017?  On the 2013 (and I assume the 2015) it was not in a convenient location and my wife would get in the passenger seat and her purse would often hit the fuel door button and drive us both nuts.  I hope they found a better place to put that one.

The fuel door release button on the 2017 is on the driver door panel under the armrest.

There is no accidentally pushing that button.  Its placed on the curved down section of the door panel armrest.

I was wondering why Ford put it there on that angle.  Now I know.

Sorry, I dont know how to post pictures here.

Vin 

Edited by Vintre

Awesome! I could not find this info anywhere else. I invite you to post this on all the Fusion boards (not just this obscure thread in the Ford Fusion Energi centric forum).

Good tip on the 35 mph and 3 bar distance settings. This feature alone is a reason to buy a Fusion with the (exclusive?). Stop and Go feature of this package:

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go [2017 models]

I am totally stoked to get a 2017 Ford Fusion now!

Edited by ClaveMan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice review tc, coming up on the final year of my lease and was looking into the Platinum (Titanium FFE currently).

One thing that has bugged me from day one on my 2015 is every time I get into the car, whether it be 10 degrees or 90, I would have cold air blowing from the vents until I turned the climate on for a few seconds to release the air and then turn it off. This is not a very favorable requirement in the Mid-Atlantic winters, and often when I clicked the climate on for those few seconds the EV was lost for a good 5 minutes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Others on the board have experienced this as well. Does this ring a bell and does this happen with the 2017s by chance?

Thanks in advance, good luck with the new ride!

Nice review tc, coming up on the final year of my lease and was looking into the Platinum (Titanium FFE currently).

One thing that has bugged me from day one on my 2015 is every time I get into the car, whether it be 10 degrees or 90, I would have cold air blowing from the vents until I turned the climate on for a few seconds to release the air and then turn it off. This is not a very favorable requirement in the Mid-Atlantic winters, and often when I clicked the climate on for those few seconds the EV was lost for a good 5 minutes.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Others on the board have experienced this as well. Does this ring a bell and does this happen with the 2017s by chance?

Thanks in advance, good luck with the new ride!

I honestly only had my 2017 for a week before it got sidelined by the accident, but I don't recall experiencing that cold air blast from the vents at all... Did you have defrost enabled in the climate control?

For reference here's the thread about my 3 month repair of my 2017 after being rear ended: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/4636-fordservice-i-really-could-use-your-help-with-my-2017-energi-platinum/

Edited by thinkcooper

• 2 weeks later...
Hooray for social media. 

It seems that going public with my story last week has awoken the Ford backordered parts beast. Just was updated by my body shop on Tuesday (02/14/17) that much to their surprise Ford had scheduled the part for delivery to their shop on the 14th. The sensor was installed later that day, and now the car is at the local dealer getting the computer system updated for the new sensor. I may have the car back as early as today. This is so much better than having to wait until March 24th (the date the part had been scheduled for delivery).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I was gonna start a new thread but my question could fit into this one...

Just traded my 2015 FFE lease for a 2017 FFE lease and had one question that I can't find anywhere:

In my 2015, when putting on the AC or heat you would see your range fall by a few miles, understandably so. However, in the 17s, it doesn't. Is there any kind of change to the system where the heat/AC doesn't draw power like it did in the 15s?

Thanks in advance, sorry if I just missed this answer somewhere else on the board.