Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Electric Plug-in "GAS" Cap

Pg3ibew

We had a massive cold snap here in NYC. Temps in the high teens/low 20s for almost 48 hours straight. I unplugged my car this morning. Closed the cap. Out all day. I came home and the cap APPEARS to be frozen. I was able to get it open with multiple pushes. It came out partially and had to be COAXED the rest of the way. 

Anyone else with similar issues??

We had a massive cold snap here in NYC. Temps in the high teens/low 20s for almost 48 hours straight. I unplugged my car this morning. Closed the cap. Out all day. I came home and the cap APPEARS to be frozen. I was able to get it open with multiple pushes. It came out partially and had to be COAXED the rest of the way. 

Anyone else with similar issues??

Hello,

I have the same issue.  Started yesterday in the cold as well.

I hope someone has a solution.

I really have to push hard to get the door open.

Vin

Of  course the temp rises just enough today when I drop the vehicle off at the dealership the door is working.

Lets see if they do anything.

Vin

I am willing to bet, the slightest variation in temp will THAW it out. if it is ZERO outside and then they bring it INSIDE, it is probably enough for it to THAW it. 

Update:

I dropped the vehicle off this morning and it warmed up a bit, like I said, I think enough for the port door to open up as normal.

The technician said that the locating pin was slightly bent and holding the door from opening.  I call BS!

The pin is in on the inside of the door on the opposite side of the spring mechanism.

I couldn't argue much as the door was opening but I asked, why if it was the pin, that I had to manually push the door to the open position even after the pin had cleared.

Anyways, its early in the Winter and it will get colder, so lets see.

Vin

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I had an issue with my door being stuck was when the sales rep who didn't know any better kept opening the door by pressing the correct spot, but then was manually rotating the door and pushing it in to close instead of pressing the door open/close button.  This was when I was taking delivery.  When he closed the door by pushing it in the wrong spot, it was then hard to open and he thought something was wrong.  He must have done it three times before I told him how to correctly close the door.  it than worked correctly and has ever since. 

The only time I had an issue with my door being stuck was when the sales rep who didn't know any better kept opening the door by pressing the correct spot, but then was manually rotating the door and pushing it in to close instead of pressing the door open/close button. This was when I was taking delivery. When he closed the door by pushing it in the wrong spot, it was then hard to open and he thought something was wrong. He must have done it three times before I told him how to correctly close the door. it than worked correctly and has ever since.

Please explain? There is a DOOR OPEN AMD CLOSE button for the PLUG IN DOOR?

Edited by Pg3ibew

Please explain? There is a DOOR OPEN AMD CLOSE button for the PLUG IN DOOR?

The little recessed button on the door that you press to open.  You press the same spot to close.  If you aren't pressing the same spot to open/close it will get the door out of alignment if that makes sense.  So my sales rep was turning the door by hand and then pressing the door back in and where he was pushing on the door was making it want to stick the next time you press that recessed button to open.  Are you pressing that same recessed spot on the door to close or are you just rotating it and pushing it in?

Edit to add video link to better explain what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_RD5bdsys

Edited by Timewellspent

Update.

Had the port door / charge ring replaced today.  Took less than an hour.

Works like new!  What a difference!

As for pushing the door closed from the "button" as shown on the video, I cant belie that this was my problem.

I have to believe that the majority of people close the door by rotating it closed by hand and pushing it closed.

Good luck to all.

Vin

The little recessed button on the door that you press to open.  You press the same spot to close.  If you aren't pressing the same spot to open/close it will get the door out of alignment if that makes sense.  So my sales rep was turning the door by hand and then pressing the door back in and where he was pushing on the door was making it want to stick the next time you press that recessed button to open.  Are you pressing that same recessed spot on the door to close or are you just rotating it and pushing it in?

Edit to add video link to better explain what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_RD5bdsys

OK, I understand. The way I read your original post, I MIS UNDERSTOOD to believe that there was some sort of ELECTRICAL button INSIDE the car. My error!! Thanks

Update.

Had the port door / charge ring replaced today.  Took less than an hour.

Works like new!  What a difference!

As for pushing the door closed from the "button" as shown on the video, I cant belie that this was my problem.

I have to believe that the majority of people close the door by rotating it closed by hand and pushing it closed.

Good luck to all.

Vin

One way to find out is keep rotating it the way you were ;)