Ford Fusion Energi Forum

"Value charge" profiles not working

mikenmar

I've been manually toggling value charging on at home, off at work.

Everyone needs to remember that at home or work, you want your battery to rest before charging it back... so we are actually getting a capacity hit as well (microscopic, but it adds up). Energi battery temperature is all air cooled so immediately charging a drain battery and sitting at full charge is detrimental to long term capacity. It's why the Focus is liquid cooled (also allows fast charging).

So I get to work, car sits on value charging for about an hour and I remotely set it to charge now. This process used to be 100% automated until the modem replacement as I had location based value charging for home and work that I'd just plug in wherever (home starts at 5 AM, Work at 10 AM) everywhere else immediately.

I miss this cool feature working as designed. Sigh.

Edited by shaggy314

My value charge profile (and I suppose the associated communication system has failed for the third time.  It was just fixed just over a week ago and bam, out it goes again.  When it fails it charges as soon as I plug it in - at peak electric rates (much cheaper to run on gas).   My CMax energi went 3 years without any problem, my 2017 fusion can't go more than a week.  This is unacceptable.   I don't have time to keep taking a car to the dealer, Ford seems to have a big big problem in their electronics as I know others who have exactly the same problem.   Not very impressive. :rant:

My Value Charging profiles for my home and home2, since the car seems to thing the same address is not the same at home. I've got them both set to Value Charging, but of course it charges the moment I plug in.

And then there's the 2 Chargepoint stations near my work where I charge, yet MFM can figure out those four spots are all the same. I guess It has to do with residental addresses and industrial/commercial being different sizes. When I was at my mother's house, MFM had an address two houses down!

After I deleted out my home and work profiles while trying to trouble shoot the problem, I haven't been able to add them back in.  The car doesn't show that I have been charging anywhere to add them back to a profile.  Only my trips show up (see my trip and charge log which doesn't show my minimum of 2 charges a day).  I'm still going with the default toggle back and forth to charge now and value charge.

post-1445-0-32063800-1494344927_thumb.png

I write to Ford every month asking if this nonsense has been fixed. Every month I get a reply thanking me for my "patience."

Well, because of my "patience," Ford lost a sale today. I was at the dealership for service and saw someone admiring a 2017 FFE Platinum. I told him about the problems I was having with my modem and Value Charging and he decided to go visit a Chevy dealership for a Volt.

Actually, Ford lost two sales, because I also was admiring a Burgundy 2017 FFE Titanium, and with the $8,000+ rebates applied to new leases, my payment would have barely gone up after turning in my 2015. I almost did it, too, until I remembered that I wasn't buying another Ford again because of the modem issue (because if Ford can't fix that, what sort of torture would I have to endure for a real problem?!)

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem.  Have deleted profiles and not solved it.  But haven't yet pulled fuses.

Also, I'm hearing occasional tinny sounds for the warning notifications (too close to near by cars when parking, cross traffic, etc) intermittently.  (Sometimes referred to as sounds that remind you of 1980s video games; playing through console speakers, not stereo).

I've PM-ed Ford.  Hopefully they can help. Can't tell if I need the new software...or of that really helps.

update: I pulled fuzes which didn't seem to fix the challenges of the reappearing home profile that isn't quite working, but the "Master Reset" did wipe that profile from the online MFM server and from the car.  I had to reconnect the car to the account, but that at least feels like progress.  My 12v battery is still a bit low (leading to the tinny sound notifications/driver alerts and the car computer sleeping on start up), but that is probably a lingering symptom of whatever profile syncing loop was going on...hopefully a long drive will solve that problem too.

Given how hard it is to get to the fuzes (you definitely need to pry off that plastic cover beneath the steering wheel; even after that it is quite a challenge and requires tools (small needle nosed vice grip worked for me)), the master reset is probably worth trying before the fuzes

Edited by ctwomey

I finally had my modem replaced.  The location based value charging worked with the old modem up until the day it was replaced.  Now, as with everyone else, the location based value charging is broken.  All the other features of the modem and MFM worked right away but the one featured that still worked before the recall, the one feature i use everyday, is now broken.  I also still, despite waiting 6 months to get this recall done in the hopes they'd have it sorted out by then, had to take the vehicle back again so they could finish reinstalling the interior panel as the clips were either broken or not ordered as others here have reported.

Edited by openair

I noticed an update to the My Ford Mobile Android app this morning. Says it fixes a lot of bugs. Maybe that will help. If your phone doesn't update automatically go to the App Store and update it.

The Android app update introduced a bug: current percentage of battery is off. Now I'm at 45% on the phone and 19 miles on the PC, each saying I'm about 25 minutes to completing (using a Level 1 charge), and with the charge light on the car showing solid blue on three of the four quadrants. Refreshing (swiping down from the top) on the phone changes only the "Updated ..." message: "45% ... Updated 2 hours ago" to "45% ... updated a moment ago." . Earlier in this charge I did see what looked like normal progression, like 15%, then 45%, but refreshing didn't change the values, which I incorrectly attributed to the app update changing its behavior to constantly read the charge percentage.

[EDIT: Refresh of Android MFM worked just now (I now see 100%), after about four refreshes done over a 2-hour period that each reported 45%.]

Edited by jj2me

I haven't had any issues with the new update on the app, but it hasn't done anything to fix the fact the value charge locations don't work.

Yea, client side updates to the app are not going to fix this. The app knows where the vehicle is. It changes to "charging at home" or work, or whatever your profiles are named, while the vehicle remains at default. Maybe fixable with a server software update. Most likely will require a software update to the vehicle itself though.

Some combination somewhere. When I've set a Value charge on my car, it says it will start charging at 11. Has yet to do that. Other times, in the middle of the day at some weird time I'll get an alert that I need to connect my car for charging. Waaa? If I could find a timer for a 240V circuit, I'd use it to have my car only charge at night unless I plug it in a different way and by pass the charger. This is one of those things where as an IT person, I'd like to ask them, "Can I see the event logs so we can figure out why it asks to charge when it does, and why it doesn't start charging when it says it is?"

I gave up on Ford being willing or able to fix this months ago. It's not going to happen. Therefore, Ford has lost me as a customer. With so many other superior vehicles on the market now, why would I ever waste my time with Ford again? Next car will either be a Tesla Model 3, Chevrolet Volt, Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf (next gen), Prius Prime, Cadillac CT6 PHEV, or Tesla Model X.

It is frustrating that Ford Mobile told me they found what the issue was back in January, but here we are 7 months later and still not fixed.  I will most likely not purchase another Ford, but not because of this issue, but the lack of millage I can go on the battery.  I do not care for the look of the compact looking Volts, Bolts, Leaf's etc. and like the fact the fusion doesn't look like the others.  Hopefully Ford develops something new, with this size vehicle, but they don't seem to care about this market which is pretty sad.  I'm looking forward to see what the Model 3 looks like on Friday...

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed with jj2me. New version, new bug. App shows 2% charge, updated multiple times, while it's at 100%. Have the notification that charging is complete, while showing 2% charge and updated less than one minute ago all at the same time on the app.

A workaround I've found that forces the correct current charge % to be displayed after a refresh is to go to "Trip & Charge Log" and then tap the Home icon in the upper right corner.

EDIT: New problem discovered with Android app: it asked me to re-sign in, don't know why, and then asked me if I wanted to add a passcode/PIN.  Saying "OK" brings me to a blank (dark blue) MyFordMobile screen.  Nothing to do but back out and re-sign in, but I had to say "No" to passcode in order to progress beyond that blank page.

Edited by jj2me

Finally fixed the location based value charging in my two 2016 Ford Fusion Energis. Step 1: completed a master reset twice in each car. Step 2: add each car back to MyFordMobile (the master reset removed each car). Please note that I did not have to wait 24 hours to confirm the car, this happened within a few minutes now. I did have to re-add all of the things lost during the master reset but that took only a couple of minutes. All location based charging is working with full functionality after doing this. Another note: one car lost the gps functionality after doing this so I had to do the master reset twice again and now all is good. It has been a week now and everything is working great. Good luck all. One last note: I had tried master resets before, a couple of times and they did not work. It looks like Ford is loading some new software now during the master reset and this is why it is now fixing the issue.

Edited by joelweiner

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing really newsworthy, but here is the response from Ford after several back-and-forth e-mails about my issues with the Android app (listed below).   

"I appreciate the information. We have been informed that it is a known issue with the app. This will be resolved with a new app release, but the date is unavailable at this time. Your time and concerns are much appreciated."

Android app issues presented to Ford:

1. Percentage of battery (mostly) doesn't update.  (Workaround: tap Home icon in upper left of Menu screen, or of any submenu screen.)

2. Sign-in procedure (mostly) doesn't allow setting a passcode, but instead most often just displays a blank (Ford dark blue) screen.

3. "Remember Me" checkbox doesn't remember credentials when using the back button to exit the app. (Workaround: Exit the app by pressing the phone's Home button.)  I believe it instead is saving the last state, which when backing out of the app through various screens, the last screen before exiting is the login page.  This shouldn't affect the iOS app, since those devices have no back button.

After 2-3 master resets I have basic functionality back.  The car has home and default profiles set up properly.  Still, MFM web pages and iPhone apps don't show that.  They "know" that it is at home or "out and about", but don't reflect the charge status correctly.  Nevertheless, the car is charging correctly.  

Hopefully some future backend db update will restore the connectivity which was nice...

• 2 months later...